“Will Stay Again”

White Pine Motel
White Pine Motel
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Ely
Reviewed April 23, 2014

It's on the highway so there is some traffic noise, but earplugs did the job. Clean, otherwise quiet, strong water pressure with never-ending hot. Bed was flat and didn't buck once.

Room #12, (12A is next door with attributes unknown), has a couple of walls and ceiling of beautifully finished, pine paneling. Electric baseboard heaters are quiet and efficient; the bathroom has one too.

The carpeting and bathroom tile show signs of age, but it didn't affect my sleep, and, as aforementioned, all was clean with no lingering odours de disinfectant.

The wifi works well and with refrig, microwave and electrical outlets in the bathroom, it met my needs quite well...esp at $35.52 (including tax).

Room Tip: I had no issues with cleanliness, but graded it as merely average for those who might be put off by...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank mfh20502000

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I have been staying here, off & on for about 6 years. Ever time I am in the area I drop in for a few nights. Even with my motor-home, they allow me to plug it in for no charge. Last visit June 2013. The owners ( new), Mark & Roberta are great, very friendly & help full. It is not the most fancy place in town, but the price is good, rooms are tidy & neat & clean, everything works. You can always look at the room before you decide. As for other people that live there, I have not had a problem & have enjoyed talking with them. There was a guy that came in late, stayed the night & then wanted a full refund, he was given some back. It is funny that a few days later, while I was still there, they got a surprise visit from the board of health ( guess who complained?) . They passed with flying colors. I will be there this summer, please drop in & say HI. Ask for the Canadian. LOL

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Bob1013
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I have been staying here for a few weeks now in a weekly room with my fiance and my 10 month old who is teething and cranky. Our neighbor apparently does not like kids and banged on our wall telling my baby to shut up, and in the morning , the manager gladly let us move to another room away from him. The manager is always accomodating and kind and helps us with whatever we need. I am happy here, and plan to stay until we get on our feet. People looking for ritzy luxury should not come here- you get what you pay for- a clean, decent room, cable tv, free coffee, and friendly management at a great price- actually the lowest price in town. If you want more luxury, then (duh) its gonna cost you money. But the kindness and hospitality you find here is priceless. Thank you for making my stay with my family just that much better. :)

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor are for weeklies. The ones on bottom are for dailies and are a bit bigger...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Angelica R
Reviewed August 31, 2013

There is a new manager and the hotel has completely turned around. Check it out now I stayed here before and wasn't so good but now the service was great. The bedding was comfortable I got a great nights sleep.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The owner is a notorious slumlord, but travelers never know this until it is too late. Bring your own bedding, prepare for a cold shower, and don't let your daughters out of your site. It does no good to complain in this town but eventually, his own negligence will lead to the collapse of the building. Hopefully, this happens before you waste your money. I was quoted a lower price than what I was charged, but of course when I tried to go elsewhere they were full, and I think he uses the desperation of others to his own benefit. No integrity. Under no circumstances should you ever ever rent an apartment, trailor, or other dwelling from this man.

Room Tip: There are very poor rooms, and there are worse rooms. Just hope the electrical problems don't c...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Michel L
Reviewed July 16, 2013

$38 after taxes for a single room. The room is on the small side, but has a fridge & microwave. The layout is good with a desk and ample outlets. Excellent wi-fi. The TV has Direct TV. But some of the basic channels I like to watch weren't subscribed to - like Fox News and ESPN. On the other hand, it got some good premium channels. The room was clean but had a slightly stale smell. It's probably from the carpet that has seen better days. I was going to stay at the old Hotel Nevada but chose this one instead because I wanted to park right outside my door. It was a good choice!

P.S. The Tripadvisor picture that purports to be of the White Pine Motel is not a picture of this motel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mark_S36669
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We checked into the White Pine Motel in Ely, Nevada, late the night of May 28. It seemed like a simple, local type motel. The office was open, we checked in and paid, and went to our room.

First thing, we pulled the sheets. Small bits were visible in the mattress seams, and then we found a dead bed bug. We didn't want to jump to any conclusions, so we went back to the office to talk about it. The door was locked, and no one answered the bell or their phone. We went back to the room, took the dead bug and some photos, and compared them to some photos online. Definitely the real deal.

We called the bank to protest the payment - the motel refuses to refund, so we'll have to fight them about it. When we finally reached the owner, she asserted that she has never had bugs, but didn't even want to know which room we were talking about.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple