Thunderbird Motel
Hotels.com
$49
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdowntown elkochain hotelsoutside entrancered lionrooms are largeroad tripwithin walking distancecoffee makernothing fancycowboy poetry gatheringin townafter a long daynice roomwafflesfurnishingsinterstaterates
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This property is located right downtown, close to the finest Basque restaurants in Nevada and two large casinos. Check in was fair, done quickly but not overly friendly. The room was clean and all linens fresh. The only draw back is because of the "gold rush" in the Elko area the motel was filled with construction workers, who out of necessity start their day (and their trucks) at 05:30. Just about impossible to sleep in after a few Pecon's at the Star! Otherwise a good place to stay!

Room Tip: If you want, or need to sleep in, bring ear plugs!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We came into town late and were able to get a room for the night. The desk staff was courteous and pleasant both that night and for our early morning checkout. The room was clean, comfortable and stocked with plenty of clean towels. Nothing fancy; it reminded me of staying at Grandma's house. Our stay was blessedly quiet despite being at full occupancy.
The meal certificates at a couple of local casino eateries were a nice surprise. The food at the Red Lion was good and the wait staff nice.
Definitely a great value when you consider we paid $80 for the room and were given $15 for breakfast!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Smalltownvet
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Love motels like this one. Clean and freindly, it is hard to fault. The decor is dated,but I wouldnt expect anything less. The pool is fine for a dip and we slept very well, what more can you ask for? Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nickh777
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I needed a motel for two nights in Elko. I checked the website of the motel chain where I have loyalty points and found the rate to be almost $150 a night. Whoa ! Hey, this is Elko, NV, not downtown Chicago.. Looking further I decided to try The Thunderbird Motel. As usual there's a mixed bag of reviews, but there were enough positive reviews that I took the chance. I'm not sorry I did. I saved significantly over the chain. The posted rate is $69 for one person, with additional discounts available for affiliations like AAA or AARP. When I made the reservation I was unsure is it would be one or two people, the person on the phone told me the rate would be reduced to a single person rate if I showed up alone.

My room was clean, had been refreshed with fresh carpet, wallpaper borders with coordinated bed spreads, wallpaper in the bath, etc. The room had two queen beds and room for a table with two comfortable chairs. Cable TV, free WiFi, a fridge & microwave.. A home away from home.

The motel had the no vacancy sign out both nights of my reservation. I had to move my reservation by a day a few days before I arrived, no problem. I must have lucked out on availability. Each time I called whether for reservation, or to change it the person on the phone was courteous, involved, and businesslike.

The location is at the edge of Elko's downtown, walking distance to several restaurants and casinos including the fabled Star Hotel Basque Restaurant. This is now my "go to" motel the next time I need a motel in Elko.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank EffStop
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

If you need a place to stay in Elko this motel will offer a low rate, good value - meal vouchers and free wifi, and a friendly staff. Not bad at all for a little roadside motel. Located on the west side of town on the main road easily accessible from the motorway on main street within walking distance to 3 main historic casinos

• Stayed: September 2012