“"Chained Pool"”

Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Elko
Helena, Montana
“"Chained Pool"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed overnight at the Red Lion at the end of June...Summer. One of the biggest attraction for us is the pool, and we only stay at hotels that have one. At 3:00 pm we put our suits on and went down to the pool. Once arriving there, we found the pool chained closed and filthy dirty (even if unlocked we would not have gotten in the pool). Such a disappointment for the amount of $ we paid. The rooms were spacious, and its true they have updated the sinks. Even with the new sinks, the rest of the room is very old-popcorn ceiling, old tub, etc. When we booked with Kayak, they put us in a smoking room, which the staff was able to change to a non smoking room.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris R
DavidZornes_CEO, CEO at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
My sincerest apologies to you that our pool's daily maintenance had not been completed by the time you chose to swim on your recent stay at the hotel. I have discussed this with our maintenance department, who will work to schedule the pool cleaning on a consistent basis.

While it doesn't help you now, please know that we operate other hotels close by that have indoor and outdoor pools (seasonal) and that you are welcome to swim in any of those pools. I have spoken to our front desk to let guests know that this option is available.

Again, my humblest apologies to you.

David Zornes; CEO
Red Lion Inn & Casino
Elko, NV

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Boise
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

We chose this hotel for a toastmaster conference and had a great experience. The banquet room we had was perfectly sized and the staff worked with us to get extra tables for the raffle items we had displayed. The food served was very good. The only hitch we had was a suite we had reserved along with the adjoining room. (Honeymoon suite I believe, it was a gorgeous room). The adjoining room had been given to someone else before we got there and the suite they tried to give us instead was inadequate. We kept the original suite, but had to add an extra room which took awhile to get reimbursed for. Ashley Libro, the sales manager, went above and beyond making sure we were eventually reimbursed. For the most part it was a great experience and I'd go here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
DavidZornes_CEO, Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
We are excited that your toastmaster conference was such a great experience for you. Our kitchen staff prepared your menu items with care and the catering department worked hard to take care of all items requested to help make your conference a success. We look forward to hosting your next event! Give us a call at 775-753-0508 to reach our catering department. Thanks for choosing the Red Lion Inn & Casino!
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

This was only an overnight stay but we couldn't have wished for a more comfortble room. The room came with a king size bed, free wifi, microwave, fridge, other typical amenities, and a free breakfast for up to four people. There is also a casino here but we skipped that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the main street for a quiet night.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bumihills2016
DavidZornes_CEO, Executive Administrative Assistant at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed our stay at our hotel! Many of our guests remark on the overall comfort of the room with the amenities you mention. We look forward to your return visit!
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

The hotel appears to be recently refurbished, which is nice. But for the price, I expect the stops in the sinks to work (one sink the stop was permanently down, the other wouldn't go down).

Exterior signage to get to the registration desk is pretty much nonexistent, so you might have to walk a little once you get inside. When we arrived, no one was actually at the front desk, but behind the wall as you could hear them talking. I think it was shift change. Once they came out, the people seemed friendly enough, but not overly. Having worked in the hospitality industry for 20+ years, sometimes in more remote locations than this, I expect more.

Rooms were tastefully decorated and clean. Beds were comfortable. Walls were a little thin as I could hear the couple next door getting their freak on a little. Flat screen TV had your basic cable with HBO. No on demand movies, which I thought was a little weird for a casino hotel, especially knowing the type of money hotels can generate from on demand movies. Wi-fi was spectacular, quick and easy.

BIG disappointment was that I couldn't find a vending machine in the hotel that worked. Every machine was either out of order or all selections sold out. But I NEEDED a Pepsi. Some people do coffee in the morning, I do Pepsi. I couldn't find a machine on my floor, so I went down to 2. Found a machine that was out of order. I wandered the hall on two, going towards the casino and ran into another that was sold out. Walked some more on two and then went back to three, found another machine that was sold out. By now, I'm cranky. Finally I go to the front desk and he sends me to the Chevron. So I did get a Pepsi, after walking about a quarter mile (half mile round trip). As I was purchasing the soda at the gas station, I was thinking, I won't buy anything else at the Red Lion and just get it here, but the joke was on me since the Red Lion also owns the Chevron.

End of story, the rooms are adequate, but nothing spectacular (mine looked nothing like the professional photos on trip advisor), wifi was spectacular, service reasonable but not spectacular, lack of availability of a morning soda from a vending machine anywhere on property was below failing.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sean C
Our sincerest apologies that you were unable to find a soda when you needed it. We will be contacting the vendors to arrange more frequent visits to the hotel to fill the machines. Also, the problem with the sink stopper has been reported to our maintenance staff. We look forward to your return visit Sean, so that we have another opportunity to "do things right."
Kaysville, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed here a couple of nights ago. It was adequate. It's obviously a refurbished hotel which I appreciate. They only have queen beds - no kings. Just a personal preference when I'm traveling by myself. I got in late, coming back from a funeral and having driven all day so I was quite rung out. The front desk lady was pleasant and efficient.

The room was reasonable and clean. They had some cool shampoo, but oddly enough, no conditioner! The bed was so comfortable that I had planned on leaving at around 8 and actually slept til 9 when someone knocked on my door (housekeeping I assume and I was sure glad she did!)

Good enough for an overnight. Easy access to the freeway and gas (although the town isn't that big so almost everywhere is easy. AND they have a Starbucks inside the Casino where the girls were quite pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anne M
Sandy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I had a first floor room that was very quiet considering it was close to the casino and a lot of traffic went down the hall. It did not smell smoky to me, but I did not run the heat or a/c. The room was large and only had 3 lamps with low watt bulbs so it was a little dim in some areas. The beds were a comfortable, but a little high. I am average height (5'4") but had to climb in like a little kid. At the restaurant I was seated in the first booth by the door, common for a lone female. Breakfast was good once I got it. She brought me the wrong meal first, then came back to explain they had 20 people in the back that were priority. I know most of them and at least 10 came in after I ordered my food. Took 30 minutes to get the meal I ordered.

Room Tip: Get a room near the registration/casino. It is a long walk from the far end of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Woodland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed in a first floor room, which was very nice and deemed non-smoking. Upon entrance, I did not smell smoke and was pleased with the cleanliness. However, we ran the a/c or fan overnight and I woke to a stale smokey smell throughout our room. Maybe, the ventilation system picked up some of the smokey air from the casino and routed it our way...I don't know, but it was kind of a bummer. Overall, I would recommend this hotel...only maybe request a second floor room to see if it is less smokey.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family