Red Lion Hotel & Casino
$65
Priceline
$112
$83
All reviewsred lioncoffee gardenaspen restaurantcoffee shoptable gamesin towntwo sinksflat screen tvnice roomsmall townbeds were comfortablegold countrynight's sleepone night staysalt lake citycasinogambling
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've stayed at the Elko Red Lion multiple times on business. I've visited a few of the other local hotels, and the Red Lion is my favorite. Large, comfortable, quiet rooms. Good coffee shop. Good buffet, although a bit pricey. Management and service are flawless. Elko is a cute little town, and if you're there for more than one night, a drive down to Lamoille Canyon is recommended.

Room Tip: First floor near casino. All rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NVRoaddog
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you for the 5 star rating. We truly appreciate you sharing your comments and that we could make you comfortable. We look forward to your next visit. Thanks again. David R. Zornes, General Manager

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The Red Lion was a great place to stay for the price. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable and the shower was relaxing. We were on the bottom floor and just a few rooms down the hall and we did not have problems with the smoke smells like previous guests. The buffet is ok, but not the best in the west. The drinks in the casino are also very expensive. All in all, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the nice comments about your stay. We will continue our efforts to create a memorable guest experience at our hotel. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you. David R. Zornes, General Manager

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Sometimes you get stuck in Elko. It's a charming little town. The Red Lion is a decent casino hotel that charges far too much (got it for $30 off bidding on Priceline, it's the only 2.5 star in town so an easy bid).
Sadly it's poorly run on all fronts.
First room: seemed nice, until we realized someone left a surprise in the toilet. Clearly it hadn't been cleaned.
Second room: nice and clean, but heater didn't work. It was -9 outside and not much better in the room.
Third room: all good.
No attempts to upgrade not compensate. I even asked for a little coupon or something. No dice.
Coffee shop: cute, clean, empty and yet service was slooooowwww.
It's a nice car that needs a better driver and pit crew.
If they were charging $50 you get few complaints, but at $99 it's time to get a service upgrade.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Rahjur
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

What a terrible experience you had at our hotel. I offer my personal apologies as I cannot even imagine how upsetting the circumstances you faced were during your visit. I am glad to read you finally did get a room which was satisfactory. Please know I will personally follow up with our housekeeping, maintenance and front desk managers concerning the issues you explained. In addition, I cannot understand why service was so slow at our restaurant, but I will be discussing your comments with our Executive Chef/Food Director. We truly value your patronage and hope you will give us another try the next time your travels take you through this area. We would like to show you our better side for sure! David R. Zornes, General Manager

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We had the same experience as other reviewers...we had a small dog with us and this was one of the few hotels that allows them so we stayed here dispite the reviews. The check-in staff were pleasent. The rooms are remodeled and were nice (clean, refidgerator and microwave, comfy beds) and they were supposed to be nonsmoking but the smoke wafting in from the hallway and/or the ventilation was so bad it was hard to sleep. The walls and doors are thin and we heard people in the hallway all night. There was a domestic situation outside one night with people yelling at each other. I would not walk the dog alone around the ouside of the building at night. Also there is no security at all. The outside doors to the hotel hallways said they would be locked from 6pm to 6 am but they never were. They are remodeling the hallways and I saw that they replied to other reviewers that they will put in glass doors to separate the casino from the hotel (hopefully doors that require a room card to get through) but I would not stay here until that is completed. The smoke was terrible! We were going to eat in the restaurant but it's open to the casino so it's smokey too. We went to a reception at the Hilton Garden Inn up the street and it is soooo nice, bright, clean and smoke free...it was about $20 more but that would definitely be worth it if you didn't have a dog (they don't allow dogs) so I would recommend going there...unless you are in town to gamble because the Hilton doesn't have a casino.

Room Tip: Ask to be as far from the casino as possible (maybe the smoke won't make it to you) and facing the back of the building for less traffic noise (unless there's a domestic situation going on out back).
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

I am very sorry to read you were not totally satisfied during your recent stay with us. I can certainly understand your feelings about the smoke residual in our hallways. As you have read, we are working diligently towards completing the installation of new wallpaper, new carpet and additional hallway air conditioning systems which we feel will eliminate much of that residual. As you mentioned, we are planning to add glass doors to separate the casino and the hotel hallways. These doors will require a room key to open during the evening and overnight hours, as do our doors which have outside access. Our Security Department is on duty 24 hours a day/7 days a week, and they will continue to regularly monitor the hallways. It is unfortunate that the remodeling process moves slowly. We are very anxious to have this all behind us because we know our guests will notice a huge difference and we truly want our guests to have a most memorable guest experience.

You should know that if at any time you are experiencing a problem or concern while a guest here, please feel free to contact our front desk staff, who will assist you or direct you to an appropriate manager on duty. In most cases, you will find that your concern can be resolved right away. We value the patronage of all our guests, and hope you will consider visiting us again once our remodeling has been completed.

Thank you.

David R. Zornes, General Manager

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I'd decided to give this hotel a chance despite all the poor reviews of it I'd seen. I'm not sure why. I book travel for many people to Elko and I wanted to see what it was like, to see if it was a good option for some of my colleagues.

First of all, registration is tucked away right in front of an extremely dark and smokey casino. The hosts at registration were WONDERFUL however - I had no issues with them whatsoever. That was my first impression.

I had been smart enough to ask for a room far away from the casino to avoid noise. I had to walk a long ways to get there (no problem). The room was very clean and nice but I could still faintly smell smoke in my non-smoking room. I decided it was no big deal. Then I noticed there was no fridge nor microwave -- standard in every hotel I have ever been in (and that's a lot.) There was no conditioner, either - just shampoo and body lotion. Odd, I thought. The shower's water pressure was lacking greatly. They did offer free tea and I did enjoy that, while watching the Discovery channel. I also liked the very large bathroom.

After I went to sleep, I was woken up twice: once around 2AM by a dog that was non-stop barking in a room below me - this went on for quite some time. Then, at 4AM, I was woken up by the overwhelming stench of cigars in my room. Gross.

The next day, I decided to upgrade my room so I could get the fridge and microwave (still feeling they ought to have been standard.) After a $20 increase in my rate per night (adds up to a lot when you're staying for 2 weeks), I am put in a room right next to the casino, on the top floor. I head in and yes, it has a small fridge and an ancient microwave - no problem, they work - I'm happy with that. I note that the bathroom is half the size of the one in the standard room - and there is far less dresser space (to make room for the fridge and micro.) My $20 seems to have got me a fridge, micro, and an extra armchair. Great. Also, the room reeked of smoke compared to the last one. And the water pressure was EXTREMELY strong - I mean, that's good I guess? But even on the lowest showerhead setting it was like it was sandblasting me. Interesting piping in that building.

At 11PM in that room, I was awoken by a man randomly knocking on my door - whatever, not the hotel's fault - then at midnight or so there was a group of people standing out in the hallway just talking.

Part of the hotel smelled like vinyl, part smelled like vomit (could be renovation materials ... I hope...), most smelled like smoke, and the floor with all the pets smelled just.. off.

Despite the good housekeeping in the rooms, the modern decor, the very comfortable beds and the lovely hosts, I won't be staying here nor recommending it to anyone. It's very obvious that while the rooms are being renovated, the hotel needs to be rebuilt - new HVAC, new piping, and additional soundproofing on the doors and walls in general.

I cut my stay there short and got a room at the Marriott instead for $20 cheaper. Best decision ever. I'll definitely be writing them an awesome review at the end of my stay with them.

Room Tip: If you do need to stay here, request a premium room in the furthest building from the Casino.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. It was good to read you were treated well by our front desk staff and that you found your rooms were clean and spacious. We are doing our best to diminish the smoky areas of our hotel as we appreciate the concerns of our non-smoking guests. For example, we are in the process of replacing the hotel hallway wallpaper and carpeting. We will be adding new glass doors to separate the casino and hotel, as well as upgrading our HVAC in the hotel hallways. We believe our guests will see a huge difference after these renovations are completed.

I am truly sorry you had so many disruptions in the middle of the night. I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been. While we cannot always control the actions of some of our guests and their pets, we do have security on staff 24/7. Our guests are welcome to contact our front desk at any time in such situations. Had we been informed of the problems you experienced, we may have been able to mitigate some of them.

We understand travelers through this area have many choices, and we always welcome their comments. Please know I take these comments very seriously and address them with my management team. We’d appreciate the opportunity to show you our better side should you decide to stay with us again in the future.

Thank you again.