“Faux Renovation”

Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Elko
Dallas
“Faux Renovation”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

I was in a non-smoking hotel room and the entire hotel smelled like cigarette smoke. At one point I thought the smell was coming from the AC vent. Also, the hotel claims that its renovated. If you consider changing the hotel bed headboard, changing the furniture, and changing out the sinks a renovation, then this is the hotel for you. I was miserable the entire stay and will never in life stay here again. When I left and returned home, everything in my suitcase has had that terrible hotel odor. Different strokes for different folks, but this hotel was definitely not up to my standard. I would suggest staying at Townplace by Marriott down the street.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank k4028
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
I am very sorry you were not satisfied with your stay with us. Our hotel is connected to a smoking casino and, unfortunately, many of our guests are smokers. We do appreciate our non-smoking guests as well and continuously strive to make our non-smoking guest rooms comfortable. I apologize this was not the case for you. It is our hope you will reconsider your decision and give us another try the next time you are in the Elko area.

David R. Zornes, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Very nice, remodeled- clean, pleasant. Staff very nice and helpful. Will stay here again. Nice choice of restaurants? Room was large, airy, well appointed. Next to the highway but did not notice the noise. Also room had an unexpected refrigerator. Nice to come off the road after a lengthy drive and be able to chill the beer.Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Stayed July 2012
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you so much for your review of your stay with us at the Elko Red Lion Hotel & Casino. It is always nice to read that our guests have enjoyed a memorable experience. Hopefully, we’ll see you again should your travels return you to the Elko area.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

We were returning from Yellowstone to San Jose, CA and, based on tripadvisor reviews, chose the Red Lion for a one night layover to help break up the long driving.

We booked 2 rooms, non-smoking. Here's my review:

Pros:

1) It's right off the freeway which is very convenient.

2) The rooms are large. One of my kids prefers to sleep alone and there was enough floor space for an inflatable queen size mattress.

3) The beds are relatively comfy.

4) There are two restaurants in the casino. Nice not to have to get back into the car to look for food.

5) Free WiFi

Cons:

1) They may say smoke free but it is anything but. The hotel REEKED of cigarette smell, even the non-smoking rooms.

2) Expect long waits to be seated and even longer to first order then receive your food. We ended up going to The Aspen because they could seat us faster then the cafe (we waited 1/2 hour for the cafe to even acknowledge us, but there were other large parties ahead of us). We went in at 7:30 and our food didn't come until 9:00. The staff was friendly but never apologized for the delay and many were just hanging around, talking. We

3) Room location: One of our rooms was on the third floor far away from the casino and the other was only a few feet away from the Casino and Bar. If you stay here, ask for a room farther away from the casino. We had a group of parties in the room next to us who were very drunk and very noisy.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. We stayed at the Comfort Inn down the street on our way to Yellowstone and it was less expensive, much quieter and didn't smell like an ash tray. It was a bit more dated in terms of the furniture but the beds were every bit as comfy as the Red Lion.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank silimom
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for sharing the “pros” and “cons” of your recent visit to the Elko Red Lion Hotel & Casino. Because our casino allows smoking, the smoke sometimes extends to the hotel section, especially if guests continue to smoke while walking to/from their rooms. We are continuously trying to resolve this concern because we do appreciate our non-smoking guests, but we are not always successful in achieving this goal. I personally want to apologize that you had to wait so long to be acknowledged at our Coffee Garden Restaurant, and I will be speaking with our Food Director so that he can determine why this would have occurred.

Again, I appreciate your comments and thank you for your patronage.

Chico, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Black smudges on top sheet. A/C unit didn't work. Had to order coffee for the room.
Garden restaurant had good food, great service, great staff. Upkeep of the hotel carpet was not up to snuff. Torn, duct taped on the steps. Looked old. Very friendly staff. Had one problem with bartender Tim (late shift) felt he was on the surley side. And caused a friend to retire early.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for commenting on your recent visit with us at the Elko Red Lion Hotel & Casino. I am very disappointed to read that your stay with us was not to your satisfaction.

First and foremost, I am sorry there was a problem with your air conditioning unit. We do have maintenance staff available who could have made the necessary repairs, or possibly we could have moved you to another room with working air conditioner had we been informed of the problem. I suspect you were traveling through and did not want to be inconvenienced to correct this problem, and I can certainly appreciate that.

In addition, I must apologize that there were black marks on your sheet and that there was no coffee in your room. I will be sure to speak with our housekeeping manager to assure this does not occur again, as this is not the condition of our rooms we expect our guests to receive upon arrival. Please know I will also speak with our front desk supervisor concerning the unprofessional reaction to your concerns that you received upon check-out. Finally, with respect to your comments on the hallway carpets, I want you to know that we are in the process of completing the renovation of our final 69 rooms. Part of that renovation will include new hallway carpet and wallpaper, but we continuously strive to maintain high quality accommodations for our valued guests.

Again, I thank you for sharing your concerns, as it is through such comments that we can only improve upon our guest satisfaction. I hope you will consider staying with us in the future should your travels return you to the Elko area.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Pros: recently renovated rooms, very clean and nice, all the accommodations of home; flat screen tv, fridge, micro, coffee maker, duel sinks, ect, beds are comfortable enough for a few nights at least, and even had extra outlets (although hard to reach) for electronics. The cafe in the hotel is the only place in town to get 24 sit down dining and the food is absolutely wonderful! I recommend the breakfast burrito ;) There's also a Starbucks located here(only 2 in town), and grocery/restaurants right across the street. Lots of parking and location is okay, but most of the action is the other side of downtown, but there is a shuttle to get down there from the hotel and back if you plan on drinking!

Cons: really the only problems we had were some noise and odor. Both are understandable as this is an old hotel so the walls being thin made for a lot more noise then expected, and we actually had a room at the very far end of the hotel on the top floor so only one room next to us and a stairwell/service room across the hall. The only thing truly bothersome was how loud the doors slammed shut, I can sleep through muffled talking in the halls but those doors close much too loudly! The odor was the smell of like a "smoke-eaters" probably due to switching some rooms(like ours) to non smoking, but years of smoking in a building you just can't get out...so we went and bought some fragrance air fresheners to help our noses :)

Overall it was a great place to stay, especially since we snagged a deal on Hotwire for only $70/night over a busy weekend in Elko. Would recommend and stay again!

• Stayed July 2012
I am pleased to read you had a nice stay with us at the Elko Red Lion Hotel & Casino. I am sorry about the loud slamming doors. Unfortunately, the doors need to be on automatic closures and folks tend to not pay attention when entering/leaving their rooms, thus causing the doors to slam shut. We are working on attempting to diminish the smoky residual in our hallways and rooms, but this has been an ongoing challenge since we do have some smoking rooms and, of course, we do allow smoking in our casino, which is located adjacent to the hotel rooms.

We very much appreciate your patronage and hope you will consider visiting us again should your travels return you to the Elko area.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

We stopped in Elko during a long road trip. Staying here was nice, clean & quiet. Exactly what you need when you are traveling!

Stayed June 2012
Thank you for your succinct and to the point review. We thank you for staying at the Elko Red Lion Hotel & Casino and are happy to read we filled the bill for your travel needs!

Phoenix
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

The front desk staff was incompetent. Knew little and helped less with an attitude. I am talking about things having to do with the hotel. If you gamble the two blackjack players I encountered were uncommunicative and cold. Not env smiles. The craps guy was friendly but kept suggesting bets. I know how to play. The room was nice and modern but a long walk from the rest of the hotel. No laundry facilities. If this was helpful please click the it was helpful box. I would like to know.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank travelregent
I am sorry your experience at the Elko Red Lion Hotel & Casino was not the best, but I do appreciate your remarks, as it is through such comments that we can only improve upon our guest satisfaction and product. I will be sharing your concerns with our management team. Please know we have ongoing training of our staff so that they are professional and welcoming of our guests. Apparently we fell short in this regard during your stay, and for that I extend my personal apologies. We do appreciate our valued guests such as you and hope you will consider visiting us again should your travels return you to the Elko area.