“Do NOT stay here!”
Review of High Desert Inn

High Desert Inn
Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Elko
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Worst hotel ever! Dirty, slow internet, uncomfortable beds, noisy. Stayed in a non-smoking room where people all around smoked. Smoked in the hallways too and hotel staff did nothing about it. This hotel makes Motel 6 seem like a 5-star hotel. Seriously terrible.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank jh4748
There are newer reviews for High Desert Inn

Reviewed August 10, 2011

I really like this hotel. They have an indoor pool which is nice in the winter months. I've stayed here 4 times. This is a very clean friendly place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank kbwright79
Reviewed August 7, 2011

My friends and I decided to head up to Elko to go swimming at the High Desert Inn. BIG MISTAKE!
After swimming for about an hour I saw a young unsupervised child standing on the stairs peeing in the pool. How did I know the child was peeing you ask, because she was screaming it at the top of her lungs.
An over crowded pool full of irresponsible teenagers (playing chicken not two feet from a 2 year old with water wings on) and pissing screaming children.
Needless to say we decided to head to the bar across the lobby.
Expensive drinks and crappy service. The creepy bartender was drinking and offering off free shots (free if you can guess whats in it I guess?) and paid more attention to the game of pool he was playing than what his customers were actualy ordering. The front desk clerk was too busy to answer phones because she was flirting with the boys in the back of the bar.
Deciding that maybe dinner would go better my friends and I paid the tab and left for dinner.
Our next stop was a gas station to get gas and head out of town quick. Well it turns out the bartender gave my friend back someone elses card. No idea how this happened because the bartender took my friend's ID to "confirm" that it was his card.
So, after a crappy day we were now stuck in Elko (unable to buy gas to get home or a room to stay the night.)
When we got back to the High Desert Inn the night staff was very helpful. And the security guard was extreamly helpful. We wound up getting a comped a room with two beds (there were four of us). suposively the executive suite. Only half the lights had bulbs. I burned myself on the coils of the refrigerator trying to plug in the coffee maker, the phone didn't work to call the front desk, the carpet was stained and so were the sheets, the remote only worked at the end of the bed, there was a giant hair ball in the drain of the shower and no trash can to be found, the beds were hard and the pillows smelled like someone rubbed their nasty butt all over them. Not to mention they couldn't have put us in a room farther away from everything if they tried. (my husband is disabled and on a cane, NOT OKAY) I couldn't sleep because I always have a problem sleeping if someone besides my husband is in the room. So I got to stay awake for 34 Hours before I could get home and get into bed.
Now I know I shouldn't complain about a comped room, but SERIOUSLY? The bartender messes up and WE have to suffer for it? Screw that!
Luckly the card situation got fixed the next day due to our own efforts to track the guy that had my friend's card down, we made it home safe and sound but late for everything we had to do the next day.

SO TO SUM UP
The pool sucks
The Bar sucks
The afternoon/evening shift sucks
The rooms suck

The secutiry officers and night desk clerks are awesome

NEVER AGAIN.
Next time I will just go to a movie.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2011

This hotel used to be one of our favorites! Boy, has it ever changed! It is run-down, dirty, and just a touch scary! First, the room....filthy carpet, stained in many places with who-know what! Secondly, the bed...I didn't pull it down until quite late....holes in the sheet and some sort of stain...I then investigated the blanket, figuring I could sleep under it....a nasty sight awaited.... When I went to adjust the air conditioner, a dust ball attached itself to my fingers. Don't stay here! When I tried to address my concerns with the management Saturday morning on checkout, I was told by the desk clerk that I'd have to wait until Monday.

Room Tip: There is no reason to get a room here!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SCFoster
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I am in Elko on extended business, and have been staying at the High Desert. It's grimy, and smelly, because smoking is allowed in the hallways. The interior of the hotel tends to stay dirty, but I'll blame the plethora of mining/pipeline/construction workers that track mud and dust constantly (including myself). The staff is very friendly, and like another reviewer said, the place would be lovely if it were just kept up, and were more strict with their guests, i.e. people not picking up after their dogs, or leaving trash and spitting (yes, spitting) in the hallways. The fitness center is small, and I don't like that the hotel sells day passes for the pool, so the place is always packed with children. The rooms are grimy as well, but with the quality of guests they serve, they would have to remodel after each one. Its cheap and convenient enough for the average worker, with its bar/fitness cent/pool, and its location by the highway. I would not recommend it for a family with young children, though. I wouldn't want my kids touching any surface in that place. BTW the internet is nonexistent at the moment. Bring your aircards.

Room Tip: First floor. Outdoor access.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Staff at front desk was very nice and it was nice that they had a room after we had checked several other places in town. Room was large, clean, and we definitely would stay there again. Morning Staff recommended a great restaurant for breakfast down the street (sorry I forgot the name, it was part of a hotel down the street). Would definitely stay here again if ever again passing through Elko.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2010

It was a stopover on a road trip. It was cheap, the room was clean, and the staff was very friendly. The indoor pool area was decent. For a last minute booking without knowing much, it's hard to complain.

Would I go back, no. but that's more an indictment of Elko than the High Desert Inn. The whole town seemed grungy and depressing.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family