“The Sides Just Kept Coming”
Review of Star Hotel

Star Hotel
Ranked #1 of 87 Restaurants in Elko
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Meadow Vista, California
“The Sides Just Kept Coming”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The restaurant was voted the #1 tourist attraction for "Cowboy Country" in Nevada Tourism's recent "Peoples Choice" poll. Having eaten there I understand why. It's a family style Basque restaurant, lots & lots of food.

A friend & I scheduled a trip to Elko, so we made it a point to eat there. We both ordered the Baked Lamb at $21.00 rather that the Loin Chops at $27.00. The Baked Lamb turned out to be chunks of Lamb Shanks, long braised, very tender and flavorful. One of my favorites. The Cabbage Soup was hard to put down, the simple salad tasty, we didn't let them take the bowl after that course, we both had seconds at the end of the meal just because it tasted good, not that we were hungry. Other sides include, several varieties of beans, pinto, garbanzo, & green, french fries & spaghetti. As usual I ended up wearing some of the spaghetti home on my shirt.

We left Elko for a couple of days and when we came back even though we had meat in our campers we left it and went back for another meal. This time we had steaks, him a T-bone, $30, me a Bacon Wrapped Filet, $18, that was a special. The T-bone was monstrous, the Filet about 10-12 ounces. Neither of us finished our steaks. They happily bagged up the steak leftovers for a future meal. Between the steaks, sides, and a late lunch we were over matched.

Desert is extra, go ahead, I dare you; Bread Pudding, Tiramisu, Cheese Cale, Molten Lava Cake, Flan the problem is that there is no room..

We went early both times, before 6pm, and got one of the last tables in the dining room, walking out through a crowded bar after our meals each time. The staff does a great job managing a crowded dining room.. No place for a quiet romantic dinner, it's a lively party.

The meal, including beverages & tip came out to about $40 each. You can eat cheaper at Denny's up by I80, but your experience nor the food will be as fantastic.

We met a couple from Nevada in the campground who said The Star Hotel had the best steaks in Nevada, I haven't tried all he places in Nevada that serve steak, but I can tell you they do a great job at this place...

• Visited September 2012

“Not just a great meal, an experience”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Locals said the Star Hotel is the place to go. They were correct.

The food was great. I recommend the lamb and filet. A lobster tail served at our table was massive yet tasty and tender. There is a tremendous amount of food. The traditional Picon punch is worth a try at only $4. The bar is friendly and with other excellent drink choices including sangria and a good beer selection.

I found the experience even better. The restaurant has family style seating and service. We had a great table. The people range from locals to those traveling through but even those traveling through seem to be repeat customers. It is a Basque restaurant and the decor reflects the herding and other cultural elements. The decor and clientele is also very western and unique. Everyone seems to be a friend.

1 Thank FlyingGringo
Elko, Nevada, United States
“best steaks ever”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Traditional Basque/American meals in authentic setting. You have to love garlic though! We have eaten at the Star often for over thirty years, and have never - not even once - been unhappy. Great spot!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Pamela Z
Orange Park, Florida
“A Great Basque Dining Experience”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We got there before 5 p.m. because we were hungry but were glad we did because by the time we left, it was absolutely packed and people waiting outside. It's a western type bar and restaurant that is family style and they serve basque type food. We ordered one entree (they are know for their steaks, etc but we ordered orange roughy) and one just sides and it was more than enough. The sides included a wonderful light cabbage soup, a basque salad (which basically was mayo w/vinegar and spices (but delicious), french fries, pinto beans, green beans, garbanzo beans and spaghetti. Our least favorite was the spaghetti and the green beans were canned. But the meal was so delicious. Great, great service and it was just fun. They will ask you if you mind sitting with another couple but that's up to you. We actually said it would be fine but no one sat there during our meal. Again, lots and lots of food so you might want to share. I believe they are closed on Sundays.

Visited September 2012
Callaway, Minnesota
“Basque food as it should be”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Whenever heading to the West Coast or Tahoe, I try and make sure my timing is such that I am able to stop at the Star Hotel for a wonderful meal as well as a fun dining experience.

Over the years have had many great meals here, lamp chops, the soup, the salad all stand out and it has just been a super dining adventure.

Whether or not this is the total Basque package and Basque food as it should be, it is fine by me and I will continue to return whenever in the area.

• Visited July 2012