“comfortable, reasonable suite”

TownePlace Suites Elko
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Elko
Reviewed January 16, 2012

This was our first stay at this particular Marriot hotel branch, and all I can say is awesome. We had a two bedroom suite for about $140.00/ night, a nice break with two tweens having seperate sleeping rooms......this place came equipped with a stocked small kitchen and pull out couch. Super clean. I was so impressed with our overnight stay that I called customer service to inquire if they had one in Rochester, MN if we needed a long stay for appointments at Mayo Clinic.. I highly recommend for long stays where one could prepare their own meals and have some privacy and room from other family members (mother-in-law!!) Great hotel concept!!

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites Elko

Reviewed January 13, 2012

Now I really can't review the actual hotel because even though we had a reservation at the TownePlace Suites in Elko, NV we never actually stayed there. Here's the story. We had booked to stay at this hotel on our drive home from California. We decided to make our first day of driving long, Elko was along the way and about the right amount of distance for our driving day #1. We arrived in Elko after 11 hours of driving looking forward to settling into our hotel, however when we tried to check in the girl at the front desk told us that there was an issue with some of the rooms and that the manager of the hotel had booked us into another hotel in town. We reluctantly went to the other hotel, knowing that we really didn't have much choice. We were told that the hotel that they had booked us in would be the same level of quality as the TownePlace. The hotel that we had been moved to was no where near the same level of quality...I think the last time it was renoed was 1974. The room smelled of smoke and mold. We did not stay here. We packed up our kids and made a quick call to the TownePlace manager. We informed him that we would not be staying there and that we needed to know why we were actually moved. The manager made arrangements for us to stay at yet another hotel in Elko. He told us the reason why we were moved was that they had a few of their guests decide to stay another night so those rooms were not available and then they had some issues with a couple of the other rooms. I still don't know what those issues were. The hotel he moved us to was ok. It was clean and roomy but still not the same as a brand new hotel. It was a big hassle being moved from place to place, especially after driving for so long. When my husband spoke to the Manager of the TownePlace he stated that he did try to call us and let us know of the situation. We never recieved the call (we were travelling through some bad service areas so we gave him the benifit of the doubt, however we did wonder why there wasn't a message left). I did make a complaint to the marriott as we used our marriott points for the reservation. They passed the info onto the TownePlace Suites Elko manager and he text us with the same story as the night before...but this time he said that he did leave us a message. Both my husband and I double checked our cells for missed calls and messages....NOTHING. I even called our home phone to check if for some weird reason a message was left there...NOTHING too! So I have to believe that he is lying to us.
Here is my biggest complaint why were we bounced when there was people who should have checked out allowed to stay and why were we lied to. I would recommend that if you are to stay here ever call multiple times to make sure that you have a room. I would hate for anyone to arrive there and have the same treatment we did. We were told that they would return our marriott points plus add 7500 for our troubles... last I checked neither were put to our marriott rewards account.
With all the complaints about the towneplace suites I must say that marriott rewards was very nice to deal with. The next night our stop was in Helena at a marriott hotel. When we arrived we were told that marriott had upgraded our room for all the troubles we had the night before. It was much appreciated and the stay there was great.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank sunsoaker78
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Our very first experience in Elko was when we pulled into town after 1AM, tired and weary from traveling over 2500 miles over the past few days. We looked up hotels on Trip Advisor, called a few and found out very quickly that this town is not particularly pet-friendly. With 2 dogs in tow, we were lucky enough to be welcomed with open arms at TownePlace Suites - pets and all.

Housing is difficult to find here - we searched diligently for 43 days for an acceptable home (some had been in the hotel for nearly 6 months!), all while staying here and being treated better than family. Each staff member - without exception - did everything to anticipate our every need, fulfill our every request with a smile and they even took it upon themselves to walk our dogs (AND learned both of their names!) while we were out searching for a place to live. Other than not loving living in a hotel room with two large dogs, I was sad to part ways with everyone, but glad I would still be in the same town. We checked out 2 of the other few places that accepted pets - they didn't seem safe and were outdated and dirty enough to make the pooches turn up their noses. TownePlace is the newest and best place to rest your bones or to call it your temporary home.

No, the internet isn't great here, but I do know the management is working hard to improve that; it's bad all over the county. Seriously, if that's the worst thing to happen to you, consider yourself very fortunate. Especially while visiting West PoDunk Elko.

Room Tip: My only complaint is that I have a bad back - the bed was a bit too firm for me, creating pressure p...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We travel to Elko often and love to stay at the TownPlace Suites. We have stayed in a number of the rooms and each of them is slightly different, but all of them are clean and comfortable.This particular stay was in room 219, which had two queen beds. The beds and bedding were very comfortable, as were every one of the FIVE new, fluffy pillows on each bed!

The suite had a small kitchenette with two burner stove, full sized refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, dishwasher, sink with dishwasher, and dishes. The room also sported a new, large flat panel television. The free wireless Internet worked well, although it would be beneficial to increase the bandwidth available to customers as it seemed a bit sluggish at times, although it was always completely usable.

The table was a good sized one, which was nice, but it was also a bit in the way of the walking area as you entered the room. This was the only thing that was a bit off in this room, but certainly not a big deal. I think I have mentioned this in previous reviews, but I'll mention it again: the location and/or construction of this hotel makes cellular service very spotty in some rooms.

The free breakfast was well stocked and good quality, as always. This time, they had added boiled eggs to the offering, which was quite appreciated. There is a selection of about 8 different cereals and oatmeal with all the toppings. A well stocked refrigerator with skim and 2% milk and a variety of yogurts is also available. Cranberry and orange juice, coffee, tea, and cocoa are provided. There are also yummy bagels and English muffins with butter, honey, etc. available.

The pool was clean and well maintained, although this time the jets on the hot tub were not working. However, the hot tub itself was still usable, clean, and quite nice to use. The exercise room has an elliptical, two treadmills, a recumbent bike, and an incline bench, dumbbells, and an exercise ball. All were clean and in good working order. Clean, soft towels are in abundance in both pool and exercise areas.

The staff is usually very friendly and courteous. This time was no exception. The General Manager at this property is very much on the ball and it shows in every area.

Room Tip: Cellular coverage is a bit spotty. Try to get a room on the parking lot side of the building, prefer...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2011

This was a perfect stop in the middle of nowhere. As others have indicated, TownePlace is a fresh concept by Marriott. Instead of the traditional extended stay Residence Inn this approach is geared to a more contemporary, techie feel. This property opened in May 2011 and has been packed ever since. We accidentally drove by some of the other options which appeared very tired from the exterior. We loved the full refrigerator, large flatscreen, comfortable bed and bedding. We were so tired after the 10 hour day that it was a luxury to have a glass of wine and a pizza for dinner while watching a mindless TV show. After a rejuvenating night, we took off for Tahoe. We noticed a new restaurant that you could easily walk to so no need to get back into the car. Kudos to Marriott for this new approach.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for the best available rate. It was lower than AAA or AARP.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2011

To say there are limit stops between Reno and Salt Lake City is an understatement in the extreme. The Townplace Suites offer a nice break in the long drive through the Great Basin. The rooms are modern and clean with a small kitchenette and flat screen television. A limited continental breakfast is included (cereals, oatmeal, toast/English muffin, juice, fruit and coffee. My wife and I didn't care for the shower head but overall it's nice place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Opened in June 2011, this one of several models Marriott has used to differentiate itself in this market, and this new location is worth it if you are between SLC and Sacramento. There is a vast swath of nothing between these cities so something of exceptional value is worth your time if you need a stop.

Just off I-80 and easy to find, this sparkling plant is evidence that the Marriott formulae work. Quality design, use of space, colors/decor, appointments and I have not gotten out of the lobby! Our room on the first floor had high ceilings, exceptional fittings and the finishes were high end. I kept looking for the corner cutting measures and never found. Heavy doors with triple hinges! No way. Yes, way.

Ample space, great kitchen with frig, microwave and disposal ( Whirlpool and GE). Imagine, a kitchen you can use, and it is not IN the sleeping area. Great colors, lots of outlets for our 4 PDA's and a shower/toilet that worked even though there was no exhaust so the fog was immense. Lighting was excellent...worked without disturbing each other. Tile work was finished correctly and the granite kitchen counter was a real surprise.

Exterior was of local design with the lodge look with timbers and stone yet it was well done and not cheapened.

We had come from a week at the San Fran Grand Hyatt, a superb center city hotel, yet the fit and finish of these digs in Elko were equal or better! Little things matter...the cable line-up in Elko was precise/accurate and better programming than in San Fran. A view of the fog rolling in the bay is grand but if basic stuff doesn't work why pay $215 a nite vs. $70?

Marriott time and again wins at every level and in Elko, it was proven yet again. Manager Matt McCarty should be proud of his staff and his new facility.

If we ever take this route again, this is a must.

Room Tip: Ask for the first floor...access is so easy and less strain lugging bags..
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family