“Decent place, high rates”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carson City
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Carson City
Maryland
“Decent place, high rates”
Reviewed May 4, 2006

I was thrilled to see Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn coming to Carson city. The no-tell motels in this town leave a lot to be desired. Usually when I have business in Carson I stay in Reno and comute every day. So with much anticipation, I booked one stay at the Hampton Inn, and another at the Holiday Inn express. My Hampton review is listed under that hotel.

Holiday Inn express provides clean, comfortable rooms and a decent breakfast. No complaints about the stay. If this is what you are looking for, you won't be disapointed. The location near the interstate provides a quick get away, but you dont hear any highway noises. The view from the front of the hotel is nice. The sports bar across the street is actually all bar, and very smokey, but food was very good.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank Statmans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed March 6, 2006

Many family members and I were going to be in town for a wedding in March. We made our hotel reservations a month in advance. I reserved one room with two queen beds in order to share the room and the cost with my parents who were arriving from another state. Because I made the reservation, it was under my name, so I made sure that my parents names were also listed in the reservation in case they arrived before me and my husband, which they did. When they tried to check-in, the front desk clerk told my parents that the room reserved under my name didn't have their names on the reservation, and that my reservation had only one king bed, and that they would have to get their own room. So my parents were led to believe that the hotel had given away our room with two queen beds. Because of this, they went ahead and got a another room at a higher rate. 10 minutes later my parents returned to the front desk to figure out what had gone wrong, and were then told that there was indeed a room with two queen beds reserved under my name, but they couldn't be moved to it because they had already taken occupancy of the second room with the higher rate. By this time my husband & I arrive, and show the front desk clerk the print-out reservation confirmation that the hotel had given me - that it plainly states that we had a room with two queen beds under my parents names as well as mine. The front desk clerk looked at it and agreed that our reservation did list both names, but said that nothing could be done about it. I asked to speak with the manager and was handed a phone. I calmly tried to explain the situation to the assistant manager, she immediately began with sarcasm, and rudeness, she dominated the conversation to such an extreme at one point I told her that as the customer she had to let me say something. But to no avail. She then said that my mother was a liar, at which point I handed the phone to my mother who also tried to speak but was unable to match the assistant managers verbal abuse. The next day we decided to go to another hotel, upon check-out, one of the front desk clerks asked if our stay was satisfactory. We all said no, and then explained why. The clerk then proceeded to change the story, telling me that when my parents arrived, they had wanted their own room and had no intention of sharing a room. She said this right in front of my mother, in effect calling her a liar. I told the clerk that she was being untruthful and we had caught her in a lie, for if my parents had truly wanted their own room, they wouldn’t have bothered trying to check into the two queen room we had originally reserved, nor gone through all the arguing over it when they first attempted to checked-in. She then implied that it was us that were lying. My cousin who was also staying there that weekend checked into her own room earlier that day, and then left for dinner with us. Late that night when she retuned, we found other guests had been given her room. We went to the front desk and found her luggage had been removed from the hotel room a placed behind the desk. They first told us that they had to remove her from the room because she had checked-in too early. When we questioned why they would give her a room in the first place if she was too early, the hotel staff changed their story and said that they had given her the wrong room. She checked her belongings inside her suitcase only to find items askew and bath products spilled out. The second room they gave her had large black dog hair all over the floor, and inside the sheets. The room had not been cleaned nor the bed linens changed. She informed the front desk. They didn’t apologize for the dirty room, and my cousin ended up changing the bed sheets on her own. The hotel may be new, it may be nicely furnished, and it may look pretty from the outside, but the staff is very unprofessional. Also the walls are paper-thin allowing your neighbors to keep you up all night with their talking and/or TV. The bathrooms have a two-way vent that is also connected to the neighboring bathroom so you not only hear everything the guests in the next bathroom over are doing, but smell it as well.

• Stayed March 2006
30 Thank honeybunnybelly
Midwest USA
Reviewed August 4, 2005

We checked in at this hotel at about 10:00 pm when we realized that we were not going to make it as far north that night as we had hoped. We were booked for a Holiday Inn Express in Redding, but decided to stay here instead. The staff was very helpful; they booked the room for the best rate they could and they even kept the pool and hot tub open a few minutes later than the normal 10:00 closing time so that we could soak our tired bodies in the hot tub before going to bed.

We were really pleased with the size of the king-sized room, and we were even more pleased with the offerings at the continental breakfast the next morning--cinnamon rolls, bagels, toast, cereal, oatmeal, coffee, milk, 3 different kinds of juice... It was just what we needed before hitting the road again!

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank whensvacation
Eureka, CA
Reviewed June 25, 2005

We’ve had great luck in making blind dates with Holiday Inn Express Hotels, but we found their new hotel in Carson City, Nevada, to be just a pretty face. Having reserved (and confirmed!) two adjoining rooms for our family of four, upon arrival at the hotel we were frustrated to be given rooms 10 doors away from each other. And then our pleasure in finding beautiful décor, comfortable beds, and lovely spa-like bathroom amenities, was overshadowed by the front desk’s failure to respond to our repeated pleas for assistance. It was a warm summer night, and our air conditioners didn’t work. There were no hotel or local phone directories in the rooms, no cups or coffee supplies with the coffee makers, and we couldn’t access the “free wireless internet” with our laptop. We kept calling the front desk clerk, a very pleasant but flustered young woman who seemed unable to help us with anything. With taxes, we paid over $160 per room, and we felt the rates were exorbitant in light of the extremely poor service. This hotel has a very nice facility, but needs a lot of work in the service department.

• Stayed June 2005