“Thanksgiving Feast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carson Nugget

Carson Nugget
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carson City
Carson Nugget
You added Carson Nugget to your Saves list
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Carson City
Gardnerville, Nevada
“Thanksgiving Feast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Wow you will never believe this. Yesterday, Thanksgiving Day we went to the Carson Nugget where they have their annual FREE Thanksgiving Dinner. Yes, I said FREE. It is from 11:00 AM until 1:00 PM in their convention room. The lineup went all around the entire floor but it was well worth the wait. The meal was served buffet style with the whole works. Sliced Turkey as well as drumsticks and wings, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, mixed vegetables, turkey gravy, cranberry sauce, rolls and butter, even pumpkin pie with real whip cream. Just as you were through with the line and your plate was full an attendant took your plate and ushered you to a table of your choice and then brought you a choice of water, coffee, or ice tea. The food was excellent just like you would cook it at home. The room was full of volunteer staff waiting on your every wish. Everyone wished you a very Happy Thanks giving and came around your table and talked to you and made you feel so welcome. This was our first time there and we were thrilled.
A BIG Thanks to you Carson Nugget for caring for people without a place to go on Thanksgiving. I hear you do this every year

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank marilynjack1929

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of this hotel located in the middle of downtown Carson City. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the rooms had been renovated recently. You can tell that the staff takes great pride in taking care of the property and servicing their guests. Thanks for a great stay… I'll definitely come back!

Room Tip: My 3rd floor room faced the main street and it was quiet compared to most cities I have been to. I...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Trevor S
Minden, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I noticed the Nugget hasn't been reviewed in awhile. They are always working on improving and they have been super busy. We have been going there for 7 years for entertainment and dining and have watched and felt the ups and downs. They are definitely in a great upswing. The dealers and staff are so friendly, you almost consider them family and many do become close friends. The management are open to listening to suggestions and comments from the customers.
The Garden Café has a varied menu and you can always find something you might want. Food has improved greatly this past year. Prices are still low and they have great specials for breakfast/lunch and dinner.
The Steakhouse has shown the greatest improvement and we now eat there about 3 x a month. The 5 course meal (there are like 9 different entrée choices) is your best value @ $16.95. You get salad, choice of entrée, 2 sides, a glass of wine (or other non alcoholic beverage) and dessert.
The pan fried lobster tail is delicious and another favorite is beef Oscar. The filet is always tender topped with crab and bernaise sauce. I recommend reservations, that way you can ask for a table or a booth and you can ask for your favorite waiter, we like Chris, but the others are also good.
We feel the Nugget is doing everything in their power to draw in the customers and we locals definitely support their efforts by going in several times a week.

Room Tip: The Nugget is a casino, not a hotel, the hotel associated with the casino is the City Center Hotel...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank christeenmarie
Incline Village, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stopped for the night. Great staff, nicely appointed new remodeled rooms - does not get better for the price. The are owned by Carson Nugget casino as told to me by the front desk clerks. Nice casino retro, but totally updated, clean, friendly and good slots. Highly recommend if in the Carson City area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jnerlove
Dayton, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We like to go to Duke's at the Fandango for a steak, which is always fabulous, but I insisted on trying this place last night for what turned out to be our first and only time. You can get a steak here, but it is certainly NOT "find dining". We waited at a desk for a while and finally a waitress came to help us. She led us to a table and on the way asked if we wanted a menu as if she were at a diner or something. She sat us at a booth despite the fact that we are both obese and I had to ask to be seated at a table. The booths and tables are much too close together. They have twenty something tables in a room much too small. It was loud and frequently "Celebration Time" from the Casino would blast into the dining room.

My husband ordered raspberry iced tea and was served regular iced tea. He refused to point it out and was simply going to drink water. Later the server realized the mistake on her own and brought him the proper tea. Husband asked for a baked potato with sour cream, but no chives. The server said the chives were mixed in with the sour cream indicating that it was impossible to have sour cream without chives. (Uh, ask the cook to reach into the reach in and get some sour cream out of the carton before the chives are mixed into it. Not too hard.) By this time my hard to please husband was clearly unhappy. I was disappointed in the lobster bisque as it had tomato sauce in it, and right or wrong, I was expecting a cream soup without tomatoes. I have had it both ways and it was my fault for not remembering and asking first. They certainly did not scrimp on the lobster though. There was a huge chunk of lobster in the bisque. I ordered a filet and my husband ordered a porterhouse. My filet was good, but not as tender as I would expect. My husband's porterhouse was heaped on top of his sides which looks sloppy and makes it hard to cut. He said it was "okay". I also ordered macaroni and cheese which was not very good.

I like that they list all kinds of sides and you can choo
se what you like.

We had peach cobbler for dessert, and it was disappointing. We had much better cobbler the other day at Firkin and Fox.

If you want fine dining and good food, go to Dukes. Ask for Alex, the finest waiter I have encountered in Carson City.

After dinner I put $5 in a nickel video poker machine and cashed out at $55, so I was very happy about that. I guess the trick is to eat at Dukes and gamble at the Nugget?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank dg1904
Layton, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

When I booked the hotel on Orbitz, I thought it was part of the Nugget Casino. When I arrived and saw that this motel is on a different street (behind the casino), I was worried it would be bad. Since I only paid $39.99 for the room, I thought what the heck -- I'll take a look at it.

I was very surprised to find that it was a CLEAN room with a very nice refrigerator and microwave. Another reviewer indicated there was no Internet, but I believe I logged onto the WiFi when I was there. There was a flat screen TV with cable. The heater / AC unit in the room worked well.

The room was quiet and I slept very well in the nice bed. It was easy to walk around town to visit restaurants, museums, and casinos from this location.

The only problems encountered concerned the water temperature in the shower. The temperature would suddenly switch from hot to cold or vice versa. I did have to go out and buy shampoo, since I'm so used to this being provided at most hotels, that I didn't have any in my suitcase. There was also no hair dryer. However, I'd gladly put up with these minor inconveniences for the $40 a night price!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Outdoorpartner
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

We stayed three nights while we went skiing in tahoe heavenly and squaw valley. these towns are not too close but a) these towns suck even more than carson city b) are about 5 times as expensive c) you are quite restricted to not moving around.

We were skeptical about the amazingly cheap price but this motel must be subsidized by the casino of same name otherwise I can not explain the good quality / size / cleanliness of the room. It was very silent in the night, no noise from street or anything alike (room to the back). Perfectly friendly staff. Breakfast would have been nice but it anyways sucks / is pure junk in the US, even in a 4* hotel.

Overall: If you are young like us and dont care about the "where" (as in city) there is NO better place to go. Trust all the reviews.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple