“At least they try hard”

Americas Best Value Inn Carson City
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Carson City
Reviewed May 7, 2009

My wife and I booked this property through Hotwire. On paper, this place looked great - it had a pool and a free breakfast. Also, the price seemed right. This was listed as a two star property, which is the new one star, since Hotwire no longer has a one star category. But, we didn't know that, so we plunged into the purchase.

Much of the previous reviews are correct. This is an old, run down property that makes the Motel 6 next door look glamorous. As you pull in, the first things you notice are a dilapidated gazebo set alongside the side of the parking lot against the fence with Motel 6, and a closed down jacuzzi with the lettering peeling off of its maintenance shed. We didn't check out the pool, but it looked closed too. The hotel is run by very nice people, who, as a previous reviewer stated, is running this property on a shoestring. Check in went smoothly.

The rooms are old, but clean. The furniture is breaking down, and the bed was sagging sadly in the middle. The lights must have had thirty watt bulbs, giving the room a creepy dimness. The hotel didn't bother to give you soap or shampoo, instead mounting dispensers on the wall like one would find in a health club shower. The towels were the thinnest, cheapest towels I have ever seen in a hotel.

The breakfast was a joke, with Little Debbie cake - like pastries and one cereal available.

Overall, this is a low budget, cost conscious hotel with little to offer except a bed to sleep. However, it's clean.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Publius2003

Reviewed March 5, 2009

You do get what you pay for. I arrived in Carson City very late. I thought I could trust the brand name. I was wrong. The front desk clerk was nice. The room was absolutely horrid. I found numerous hairs on my bed, on the pillow case / sheets & throughout the room. Some of the hairs were pubic. There were a disgusting item stuck to the wall. The towels were threadbare & had stains. SInce I was extremely tired, I did not make any complaints. I slept on the top of the bed covers in my clothes. The carpet was worn & was not clean. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, other than someone who could not afford anything.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Jim W
Reviewed August 25, 2008

This property is next to motel 6 and super 8, couldn't remember which one had bad reviews at this site, So I picked Best value, all 3 had the same price. $44. I arrrived at night and left early morning before sunrise so I can't tell you muuch about the exterior, but it does need some cosmetic care. The room was OK, clean, bathroom clean, I got a room in back away from the highway, it was very quiet. AC unit looked new but wasn't working properly, I slid out the filters and found them clogged, Worked great after that. Resturant 3 buildings south.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2006

The front check in office reeked of curry and was incredibly hot. The room itself smelled of mustiness as did the feeble air conditioner. The bathroom odor was entirely different. There was no deadbolt on the door for security and our room faced a dark walk/passage way with poor lighting, the only means of security was a chain lock. Those can be easily kicked in. The door also sounded hollow. The manager/owner and his family were hard to understand, rude and slow to respond to requests for help or didn't respond at all. Also, I noticed a few small bites on my legs the day I checked out. It was either spider or bed bug bites.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank chickonthego
Reviewed August 27, 2006

I relaized I left my $400. camera on the table in my room after I had checked out. I returned after the maides had cleaned. I contaced the manager and the three maids. They all gave me the run around. NO CAMERA! The Staff is rude as DISHONEST. I am allowing for the fact they do not speak English. Rooms are dirty and smell. I had proublems with the plumbing and the A/C. A clean looking Motel 6 is located next door.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank tmracing
A TripAdvisor Member
Utah
Reviewed October 24, 2005

I have never stayed at hotel whear the staff was so rude. When I asked if they had any extra pillows the guy told me well there are 2 on the bed. About an hour later he brougt one up. I asked for a late check out becuse my husband how is diabedic went in to inselin shock and was told check out was at 11am and we need to be out theye have a full hotel. After expling that it was a medical situation and he could not be moved he told me I could have an extra 15 min. When 11:15 came the made where at our door. We asked them to whate so we could get our stuff in the car and i could help my husband down to the car. We left our dog in the room becuse we had our hands full. The staf then locked us out of the room with our dog still in it. I have never been denyed a late check out of any hotel nore have I ever had to beg the staf to let me in. The room was large the beding was old and looked like it may have not been washed in a wile. The tv did not get good picher and was verry old. There where ground in somthing on the floor. The out side smelled and when they panted the out side theye oversprayed the doores and windows. The towels wear clean but in short supply. If your in Carson and looking for a hotel you can stay at with your pet. Look some wear else there are much beter hotels with people how care.

• Stayed: October 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed September 21, 2005

Once you weave around the down and outers, you get to your room. Mine had no security chain, the deadbolt lock didn't work, 3 light bulbs were either out or missing and the door had obviously been kicked in at least once (w/minimun repair). I put the table and chairs IFO the door to feel more secure before trying to get a little sleep.

Stay away from this place. Economy??? I was charged $80 for the room...and all money has to be paid up-front. What a discusting place.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business