“Always awesome”

Nevada State Museum
Ranked #2 of 44 things to do in Carson City
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum focuses on the rich natural and cultural heritage of the "Silver State." Visit to learn about local wildlife, see the bones of pre-historic creatures found in the area and the Ichthyosaur Shonisaurus popularis, Nevada's state fossil.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I love the NV State Museum! It is one of my favorite places to go in Carson City. They were helpful and nice and I love seeing all the exhibits. I had not been in the museum in many years and it was a real treat to get to go there on Nevada Day.

All reviews
"comstock lode"
"few hours"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Ok, I will disclose now. I visited the Museum this last week and presented a Lecture on John C Fremont and his Expedition of 1843-44 that passed through Nevada. An exhibit is being put together and I have 27 large format photographs on display for a year. So now that I have fessed up.
The museum sits partly on the old Mint property and building. Much of the attraction is this mint, it's stamps, and some 11 vaults from around the mid late 1800's. There is much more to see of course and presently besides getting ready for the Fremont Exhibit (jan 29, 2014) there is a wonderful display of 1800's firearms. Much attention also to Native American crafts and historical artifacts.
The staff is terrific and welcoming. If you are any where near Carson City this is a great visit.
Loren

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Neat area for kids to learn about animals, Nevada history and even the Native Americans. We very much enjoyed our visit

Reviewed October 4, 2013

This museum had great information on the history of NV, and the exhibits were really nice. There is a ghost town (my 5 year old daughter lost her mind and had to be carried through it, but she doesn't like dark places or strange noises, your child might not mind it at all) that guests walk through to get a feel of the old gold mining towns, and there is an extensive underground mine shaft that guests also get to walk through (messed with my claustrophobia a little, but not too bad). We arrived an hour before the museum closed, so we did not get to see both wings of it. What we did see, was very nice indeed. We would stop in to see the rest if we visit Carson City again.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This museum has multiple exhibits, including an example of what it was like to be a miner in the old days. It also had exhibits of animals that could be found throughout the state, of coins and many other things. We spent about an hour in there looking around. There are several floors, but there is an elevator, so don't be afraid if you have a disability to visit.