“Best museum in the area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nevada State Museum

Nevada State Museum
Ranked #1 of 42 things to do in Carson City
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum focuses on the rich natural and cultural heritage of the "Silver State." Visit to learn about local wildlife, see the bones of pre-historic creatures found in the area and the Ichthyosaur Shonisaurus popularis, Nevada's state fossil.
England
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“Best museum in the area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Only museum that I found in the area that wanted to tell me something, rather than just take my money. Should be even better when the Fremont gallery opens later this year.

Visited July 2013

Modesto, California
251 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 528 helpful votes
“Excellent Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Visited here last weekend during our trip to Carson City, Virginia City. This is a very fine museum located in the historic mint building. There is much to see here, so plan to spend a few hours. We were here a little over two hours and still did not see the American Indian section. Visiting this museum gave me a good overview of the history and culture of Nevada. On the last Friday of each month the historic coin press is put into operation and since we were there that day, we were able to see coins being made. Coins that were pressed were also sold and I purchased one for a souvenir. The museum covers exhibits on minting coins, gold and silver mining, ghosttowns, pioneer life, gems and minerals, weapons, wildlife and even a very large prehistoric mammoth. I really enjoyed the exhibit of the silver tea service from the U.S.S. Nevada Battleship. Gorgeous pieces! The underground mine exhibit was realistic and fun. There is an extensive collection of birds which I enjoyed seeing since I am a bird lover. There are also some temporary exhibits such as an exhibit room of posters and gifts sent from the French to the U.S. after World War II. There is a gift shop but I did not have time to check it out. Cost of admission is $8.00 but if you go online to the Carson City visitor website, you can get a $2.00 off coupon. Don't miss the chance to learn more about the state of Nevada in this excellent museum!

Sun City West, Arizona
151 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Enjoyable Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

There were 50 of us in our bus touring group so we were split between the mint side of the museum and the Native American interpretive area. Both tours enjoyed the very knowledgeable docents. There is plenty to see and experience. The underground mine area was amazing. I felt like I was in a real mine. I would recommend this for kids of all ages.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Barb J
Box Elder, South Dakota
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Excellent display of history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Excellent display of Nevada's history. Located in the old Carson City Mint with displays of all sorts. Ghost towns, weaponry,relics and even a mammoth. A very good place to spend a couple of hours viewing the past.

2 Thank gkeager
Los Banos
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“One of the Best Museums I Have Been To”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

It covers everything. Native American, Pioneers, Geology, Mining, Natural History, and the Old Carson City mint. $8 is a good price for a museum of this quality. School groups were everywhere and these kids were excited. I did not see any bored kids.We spent 3 hours and could have spent more.