“I love it here”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carlin
carlin, Nevada, United States
“I love it here”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and children and i have been staying here for 4 months. I love all of the employees that work here they are so great they dont mind if my kids are running around the lobby or out front of the hotel they all seem to keep an out for them if they get away from me. the housekeepers make sure that my room stays clean and belive me that is not an easy job with a 2 and 3 year old running around. This place is not top of the line. but if you want a friendly and homie place to stay i recommend staying here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank HolleyG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Mckinleyville, CA
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I were very tired and in need of a place to stay because everything was closed in Elko. Everything looked okay from the outside beside the truck parked funky in the breeze way. When inside, I noticed trash overflowing and the desk clerk behind many piles of dust. I was so desperate to sleep, so my husband and I went to our room. Everything appeared clean in the room but the elevator and the lobby needed deep cleaning. We decided to go eat at the Pizza Factory, which was really good and the highlight of our trip but on our way down in the elevator a shady character entered and proclaimed that he had been drinking all day. I was afraid of getting robbed but he sauntered away, only to find on our return, the police checking in on the place. I slept in the bed under what I presumed clean sheets and now have contracted scabies. Don't stay here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie C

Travelers are raving about these Carlin hotels

Quincy, Illinois
Reviewed September 1, 2012

checked in after a very long day of traveling to a room that had hair and dirt on the sheets. So they switched me to another room hoping it would be better. WRONG. The floor had not been vacuumed and the trash had not been emptied nor had the sink been cleaned off. I was exhausted and didn't want to try to find another hotel at a very late hour so I brought in my own blanket and pillow to sleep on top off the bed. The front desk said they could not refund my room until Monday when the GM came in. Now I wait two weeks later with no refund. I highly recommend NOT staying here!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank skcarr7
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is a sad little hotel. It doesn't seem that the owner cares about its condition. A previous reviewer stated that the rooms were clean. My room does appear to have been remodeled since the building was built but: the previous user's used grounds were still there, the toilet needed help flushing, the shower walls were not clean, other areas had not been cleaned in some time, the bedding may have been washed but had dirt stains, the tv stand hadn't been dusted in a long time, and the bedding doesn't fit, or stay on, the bed.

The hotel's elevator seemed right at home in a public housing project. The front desk doesn't have enough keys for the guests. Dirty common areas. I think the owner is milking this place for as long as possible and then will likely sell it to someone who will tear it down and build something better. Lots of guests. Primarily workers in the mining business so the hotel makes a ton of money for the owner who puts back into it nothing.

Go to Elko or Battle Mountain if you need a place to stay in the area. Both places are less than an hour's drive away.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ndark
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I read all the reviews, than came to check it out for myself. Im glad I did, My opinion was completely opposite from what I read. Rooms, extremely clean ! The staff was very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: They accept pets
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Well it starts in the entry to the parking lot. The POTHOLES are too big and too many to count. Please enter with caution.
The Temp parking area for checking in is coated in oil and grime.
The entryway to the hotel is dirty. It appears to never get vacuumed or cleaned. That describes the rest of the hotel.
The rooms have filthy grimy tubs, Hair from other guests in the bathrooms, Used bath products in the trash, mold on the shower curtains and the window curtains aren't even hanging. They sag in the middle.
Gym equipment broken.
Breakfast- No milk for cereal, When I asked for it, she brought out some from her personal apartment.. No fruit, No yogurt,,, the pastries were cheap donuts from generic... It was missing so many items and when asked for syrup, was told they were out. "We only have sugar free".. There was basically nothing for breakfast.
This place has so much potential but is wasted by management that doesn't care. If this place doesne change soon, I doubt "Choice Hotels" will keep it in their chain..

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side are noisy from traffic..
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bppinc
Putnam, Connecticut
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I booked this hotel because I had Choice Hotels points to burn, and the hotels in Elko needed more points than I had. What the heck, I said, it's just 20 miles from Elko and I'll just have a little longer to drive the next day. But I was not prepared for what Carlin is like. Let me say, first off, that the hotel was mostly OK. Not perfect, though -- the TV was blurry, as if I was watching it without my glasses. The shower mechanism was a little loose. The swiveling easy chair in the room swiveled to just one position -- forward, so you felt like you were going to be pitched out of the chair. And the wi-fi signal, though consistent, was weak (2 or 3 bars), so things loaded slowly. Okay. Still, the bed was comfortable, the room reasonably clean, no undue noise. So it's an average hotel. But now Carlin.... anything but average. This is one of those little towns that supports a Pilot truck stop (across a huge gravel parking lot from the Comfort Inn) and little else. Carlin is so remote that, despite being right next to I-80, my AT&T cell phone had *no service*. I did not see the prostitutes other reviewers have mentioned, but it is believable, because a lot of truckers pull off here to spend the night. There are few dining options, and they are not appetizing -- the State Cafe Bar Casino is a forbidding-looking joint nearby, and there is a sad-looking diner at the Texaco and a pizza joint. On the evening I arrived, there was a rough-looking guy sitting outside the entrance to the Pilot truck stop, on the ground, with a backpack and a sign that said "Traveling, Broke -- Any Help Appreciated." The next morning, when I went down to the lobby for coffee and a bagel, there he was -- wearing what looked like the same clothes, and barefoot. The clerk was right there making coffee, so maybe he got enough money to spend the night. Who knows? Breakfast is served from 5 to 9 a.m., and when I remarked on the unusually early hour, the clerk said they had some guests who go to work early and some who get in really late. The whole thing was just a little.... off. The only place I can compare it to in my experience is Murdo, South Dakota, which is another story. Anyway, it was a free night, and it was kind of an adventure. But let the buyer beware. And eat in Elko or Winnemucca before you get there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank RoadTripRoger
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlin
Best Western Elko Inn
Americas Best Value Gold Country Inn & Casino
Quality Inn and Suites
Red Lion Hotel & Casino
Hilton Garden Inn Elko
Hampton Inn by Hilton Elko Nevada

Been to Carlin Inn? Share your experiences!