“They've given up caring”
Review of Carlin Inn

Carlin Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carlin
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is a sad little hotel. It doesn't seem that the owner cares about its condition. A previous reviewer stated that the rooms were clean. My room does appear to have been remodeled since the building was built but: the previous user's used grounds were still there, the toilet needed help flushing, the shower walls were not clean, other areas had not been cleaned in some time, the bedding may have been washed but had dirt stains, the tv stand hadn't been dusted in a long time, and the bedding doesn't fit, or stay on, the bed.

The hotel's elevator seemed right at home in a public housing project. The front desk doesn't have enough keys for the guests. Dirty common areas. I think the owner is milking this place for as long as possible and then will likely sell it to someone who will tear it down and build something better. Lots of guests. Primarily workers in the mining business so the hotel makes a ton of money for the owner who puts back into it nothing.

Go to Elko or Battle Mountain if you need a place to stay in the area. Both places are less than an hour's drive away.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ndark

Reviewed July 6, 2012

I read all the reviews, than came to check it out for myself. Im glad I did, My opinion was completely opposite from what I read. Rooms, extremely clean ! The staff was very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: They accept pets
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Well it starts in the entry to the parking lot. The POTHOLES are too big and too many to count. Please enter with caution.
The Temp parking area for checking in is coated in oil and grime.
The entryway to the hotel is dirty. It appears to never get vacuumed or cleaned. That describes the rest of the hotel.
The rooms have filthy grimy tubs, Hair from other guests in the bathrooms, Used bath products in the trash, mold on the shower curtains and the window curtains aren't even hanging. They sag in the middle.
Gym equipment broken.
Breakfast- No milk for cereal, When I asked for it, she brought out some from her personal apartment.. No fruit, No yogurt,,, the pastries were cheap donuts from generic... It was missing so many items and when asked for syrup, was told they were out. "We only have sugar free".. There was basically nothing for breakfast.
This place has so much potential but is wasted by management that doesn't care. If this place doesne change soon, I doubt "Choice Hotels" will keep it in their chain..

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side are noisy from traffic..
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank bppinc
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I booked this hotel because I had Choice Hotels points to burn, and the hotels in Elko needed more points than I had. What the heck, I said, it's just 20 miles from Elko and I'll just have a little longer to drive the next day. But I was not prepared for what Carlin is like. Let me say, first off, that the hotel was mostly OK. Not perfect, though -- the TV was blurry, as if I was watching it without my glasses. The shower mechanism was a little loose. The swiveling easy chair in the room swiveled to just one position -- forward, so you felt like you were going to be pitched out of the chair. And the wi-fi signal, though consistent, was weak (2 or 3 bars), so things loaded slowly. Okay. Still, the bed was comfortable, the room reasonably clean, no undue noise. So it's an average hotel. But now Carlin.... anything but average. This is one of those little towns that supports a Pilot truck stop (across a huge gravel parking lot from the Comfort Inn) and little else. Carlin is so remote that, despite being right next to I-80, my AT&T cell phone had *no service*. I did not see the prostitutes other reviewers have mentioned, but it is believable, because a lot of truckers pull off here to spend the night. There are few dining options, and they are not appetizing -- the State Cafe Bar Casino is a forbidding-looking joint nearby, and there is a sad-looking diner at the Texaco and a pizza joint. On the evening I arrived, there was a rough-looking guy sitting outside the entrance to the Pilot truck stop, on the ground, with a backpack and a sign that said "Traveling, Broke -- Any Help Appreciated." The next morning, when I went down to the lobby for coffee and a bagel, there he was -- wearing what looked like the same clothes, and barefoot. The clerk was right there making coffee, so maybe he got enough money to spend the night. Who knows? Breakfast is served from 5 to 9 a.m., and when I remarked on the unusually early hour, the clerk said they had some guests who go to work early and some who get in really late. The whole thing was just a little.... off. The only place I can compare it to in my experience is Murdo, South Dakota, which is another story. Anyway, it was a free night, and it was kind of an adventure. But let the buyer beware. And eat in Elko or Winnemucca before you get there.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank RoadTripRoger
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Walking up to the front door, I noticed that the parking lot was littered with cigarette butts and all the landscaping was dead, so I didn't expect much inside. Went through the door and the place wreaked of smoke and I was about to walk out, but decided to check out the room first. We were exhausted and the room did not smell like smoke and the beds and pillows were very nice and comfy, so we stayed the night. The shower was stained so we made sure to wear our flip-flops. Breakfast was a huge disappointment!!!! The orange juice was water, and the apple juice had things floating in it! I could not believe that I paid so much for such a crummy motel! I've stayed in much nicer places and paid much much less!

Room Tip: Don't stay here ...go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank AliG078
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We stayed here only because the hotel we'd booked in Elko was full, they had overbooked. At their recommendation, we stayed at the Carlin Comfort Inn. Upon entering the lobby we interrupted a transaction between the desk clerk and a clearly intoxicated young woman/prostitute, with a "customer" in tow, securing a room for an hour. Went up to the room that the clerk gave us a key to, walked in, someone in the bathroom, room a mess, we turned around and headed back to the desk just in time to witness prostitute number 2 securing a room. Next room was empty, but had obviously been "used" recently, so went back down to the lobby to find the clerk grabbing a beer out of the small fridge in the breakfast area. Nice! Tried to talk to the older woman at the desk in the a.m. upon check out, she's obviously aware of the situation, and let me know that it was none of my business. So I left, via the back door which was closer to my car. Had to step around the smoking, drinking, prostitutes and the night clerk who were taking a break out there. Sent an e-mail to their corporate offices, haven't heard anything back. Unless you're looking for a hooker, probably shouldn't plan to stay here!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank racergirl930
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We stayed here instead of Elko because it was far cheaper (I cashed in a free hotel night) than hotels in Elko. There's nothing in Carlin, but we got dinner before we got here, so that didn't make a difference to me. Eat in Elko, though, if you're staying here.

When we entered the hotel, the front desk clerk was trying to direct some prostitutes to the right room. She apparently knew who they were and was facilitating their business in the hotel. She listed off three rooms where they could go. And, yes, they were clearly prostitutes. The lobby was not clean. The room was clean enough, but the comforter was covered in, well, something, and I had to call down to get a new one. We eventually got another one about 15 minutes later.

However, I couldn't get over the fact that the desk clerk kept reeling off rooms where the prostitutes could go. I'm not sure what her relationship was with the women, or how she fit into their business model, but come on, it's a freaking hotel. Totally inappropriate. Totally disgusting. Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
12  Thank leshii

Been to Carlin Inn? Share your experiences!