“A comfortable option”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in York
Chicago
“A comfortable option”
Reviewed August 2, 2009

We were passing thru York and spent one night at the Holiday Inn. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Even though the rooms were located in a non-smoking wing, we could still pick up a slight hint of smoke - probably from days-gone-by. Rooms were clean and comfortable. For dinner at Applebees located in the lobby - it was quite busy (a good sign right?) Not on this particular night. "Computer problems" were blamed for very, very slow delivery of food from the kitchen.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Nebraska
Reviewed April 28, 2009

They apparently don't see the need to actually have the front desk manned so expect to hang around for someone to notice you. Construction is ongoing at this timel. On the phone the guy said we'd have a remodeled room w/queen beds. The desk checked us in with old room w/double. I said we were to have a queen. She said we don't have queens. I said "tell that to the guy on the phone who told me queen". She said, oh, well we have those queens. Right. . . We were there for a funeral, daughter came in late went to check out in a.m. and there was a bar bill on their room. Not theirs. Couldn't fix it, had to wait til an upper management person came back from the bank. She was almost late for the funeral; didn't need that hassle that morning. Why doesn't an otherwise nice place pay more attention to their front desk people????

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed March 7, 2009

We pulled into the motel to avoid driving in a forecast snow storm, The service and room met our expectations. The attached restruant ( Applebees) had people waiting for seating because of a special they were running that nigh, so we skipped eating that night , but did eat there in the morning. Service and food was OK. We would stay again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Janesville, IA
Reviewed August 19, 2008

I stayed 2 weekends in a row, since it was halfway to my vacation destination. The 1st weekend my room smelled like cat urine. I asked the front desk if they had any non-pet rooms, and I was told no. I am very allergic to cats and was afraid I would wake up with hives or not being able to breath. I had to sleep with a pillow and blankets over my head to try to keep the awful smell out. The front desk personnel did not seemed concerned about my complaint. I was told there was nothing they could do.

The 2nd weekend they put me in a smoking room, even though I booked a non-smoking room. They sprayed the room to get rid of the cigarette smell, but the spray smelled worse than the smoke smell. I again had to sleep with my head under the blankets and pillows.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone but smokers and pet owners. They are not bothered by these smells. I will certainly never stay there again. Nor will I recommend it to my friends.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The smell
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hammeraa78
Oklahoma
Reviewed August 25, 2007

We normally stay at the Hampton Inn, which is awesome, but we had our dogs along this time and decided this would be our best bet in a small town. Well, I can say that I will never stay here again until after they do some major renovating. We paid $60 a night and I would not have paid a cent more. The place was screaming for some TLC. They rave about the Applebee's b/c that's all this place has going for it.

First, the beds were so uncomfortable and hard that I couldn't sleep. I was ready to pound holes in the thing or sleep on the floor. We had 2 different rooms with 2 double beds and all of them stunk. Second the hotel was not very clean and the table was falling apart. The carpet was worn and the place wasn't any better than Super 8's I've stayed in. Worst were the 3 huge black bugs I had to kill in our room. I kept wondering how many more there were. They were out of bottled water in the entire hotel and vending machines which is ridiculous when there's a Wal-mart down the street. The rooms looked nothing like the one photo I was able to find of them.

The staff were friendly enough but did nothing when I told them of our problems except apologize. That's when I learned of the supposed upcoming renovations. We will not be back unless those have been completed and we have to stay there b/c of our dogs. Stay at the Hampton and spend a few more bucks. It's worth it!

• Liked — Applebee's
  • Disliked — Beds
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
OKC, OK
Reviewed June 13, 2007

York is a smaller community - about 8,500 folks, and right at the exit of I-80 and highway 81, there is a lot of development for travelers. The Holiday is at that juncture. I visit York about once a year and have stayed at a number of the hotels/motels at this exit. This is the nicest place I've stayed at here. You get a good quality for the price. There are a couple of other places that are about the same price range, but I think this has the most amenities for the price. It's pretty new and in nice condition. Rooms are comfortable and clean. I travel with pets usually, and that is no problem here as well. The other extras I like are an exercise room (treadmill, bike and stairstepper), free wireless, a small, but very nice business center. They also hae complimentary papers which I think is a plus. USA Today, York Times and Lincoln paper. An Applebee's is here, so there is food and drink availability. However, while Applebee's is fine, if you want the best food of York, I'd drive into downtown to the Chances R Restaurant.

Stayed June 2007
OMaha, NE
Reviewed March 16, 2005

This holiday Inn is nice and has a nice indoor pool area - there is an Applebees with the hotel that serves breakfast too - but each time we have stayed there, the restaurant is packed - I think it is in part due to the fact that York is a smaller town - and this is one of the few nice restaurants in the town - but other than that, we have enjoyed our stay at this hotel

1 Thank TravelingMinister