“Inexpensive, good value, stay away from smoking rooms”

New Victorian Inn & Suites York
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in York
DeKalb, Illinois
“Inexpensive, good value, stay away from smoking rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

Stayed at New Victorian Inn on the way to Colorado. Inexpensive rate, nice desk staff.
We asked for a non smoking room, but realized when we got up to our room that they are mixed with the smoking rooms. Standing in or near the bathroom next to the door smelled like smoke, as well as the hallways. I believe if you want a true non-smoking room, you can request to be on the first floor-they all seemed to be non-smoking.
The rooms were clean, but definitely showed the wear from the years. Soft towels and linens.
Not sure if I would stay here again due to the smoke smell.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
NVIManagement, Director of Sales at New Victorian Inn & Suites York, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Thank you for your review of the New Victorian Inn & Suites in York, we appreciate your time and thoughts! We do apologize for the smoke smell near your room – please know that you can talk with our desk staff if you are uncomfortable and we will do everything we can to move you or remedy the situation for you so you can get a good nights’ sleep. We do take great pride in providing a great value and a clean, pleasant stay for our guests – glad you enjoyed the soft towels and linens too! If you are coming through the area again, please give us another try and we will do our best for you! Safe travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Council Bluffs, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

The price for a double queen room was quite reasonable and the location was conveniently near I-80. But there were three negatives. First, the shower head was moldy and dirty. I'm not sure I was cleaner before or after my shower. Second, one had to be careful with the loose toilet seat or one might find himself/herself seated on the floor. I showed the room clerk photos I took of the moldy shower head and she apologized and reduced my bill by ten dollars. And third, I don't know if they were bed bugs or something else, but I picked three black, blood-sucking bugs from my shoulder and neck shortly after getting underway from York up this morning. The bugs were tiny, the size of a poppy seed. It looked like bug feces on the neck of my clean T-shirt. I didn't take them into the New Victorian Inn and Suite with me, but I took some of them out with me and now I have to wash and dry everything to try to prevent the spread of the bugs.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
NVIManagement, Director of Sales at New Victorian Inn & Suites York, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
We apologize for the experience you said you had at our hotel in York – we certainly don’t want any of our guests to have an unpleasant stay. After you told our desk staff about the shower and the slightly loose toilet lid – we immediately had them fixed and checked all other rooms as well. You didn’t mention anything about the possible insects so we didn’t get a chance to tell you that we do take great care to inspect and we do regular preventive treatment of our hotel.. We did immediately inspect all rooms after reading your review and found no evidence of any insects in any of our rooms. We do appreciate your opinion and agree with you that we are convenient and offer a very reasonable price.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

I made my reservation over the telephone the day before my arrival. I had friendly service both on the phone and in person when I arrived at the hotel that night. My room was clean and a nice cool temperature. I appreciate pet-friendly hotels that don't put you in a below average room just because you're traveling with a pet. Although the hallways smelled of smoke my room did not. I would stay here and again when driving through.

Room Tip: Avoid pool area if you want to go to sleep before 11pm
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
NVIManagement, Director of Sales at New Victorian Inn & Suites York, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel - we appreciate the feedback! We work hard to provide a great value to our guests while offering the amenities of the national chains. It is important to us to make sure each guest is greeted with a friendly face and enjoys their stay with us. We are pet friendly and understand that many people travel with their animal companions and appreciate a clean, quality room for a great price. We hope to see you again in your travels1
York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

smoke in hallway from smoking rooms
biscuits and gravy was good
confusing cost differential between online and actual. I guess "from" means if you book there, the price will be higher?
Stay on other end of vacation had no problem with booking costs-longer lead time?

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

NVIManagement, Director of Sales at New Victorian Inn & Suites York, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review us online - we appreciate it! We apologize if there was any confusion on the rate for your room - if you ever have any questions when you are staying with us, please feel free to call the desk staff anytime. We always want our guests to have a positive experience with us and feel they got a great value for their money. We are glad you enjoyed the biscuits and gravy at our 5am to 11am breakfast - hope it started your day off well!
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

We pulled into this hotel from the road and had a great experience. Staff was friendly & helpful, rooms were clean and beds were SO comfortable. Rate was just right. Breakfast time was great....it lasted all morning so no matter when you got up, you were able to enjoy breakfast before heading out for the day. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
NVIManagement, Director of Sales at New Victorian Inn & Suites York, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for your 5 star review of the New Victorian Inn & Suites in York! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay! We take pride in providing a great experience for our guests with friendly service, very clean rooms and comfy beds -all for an excellent rate. We hope to see you again if you are passing through!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

York is a travel stop along the I80, a dozen or so hotels of various qualities, fast food, gas, Walmart and all the amenities in between. Very convenient off the highway.

I was pleased with our selection. Mid price range, clean well appointed room, comfortable beds, the room included a large tv, fridge micro, table/desk with 2 chairs, enough room but not spacious.
The motel breakfast started at 5am a nice feature, but I slept in till 6.
I recommend it and would stay again.

Stayed July 2014
NVIManagement, Director of Sales at New Victorian Inn & Suites York, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for your review of the New Victorian Inn & Suites in York. We do enjoy providing a great value for your money and a good night's sleep for all of our guests! Our breakfast from 5am to 11am is always very popular as it is a good start for both the early risers and the late sleepers! Our wonderful clean rooms all feature fridges, microwaves and 42" TV's -which adds to the value for your dollar! Thanks so much and we hope to see you again!
Pearland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed at this place for 3 weeks. The rooms were clean, the staff very helpful. The manager was working everyday to improve the place. Not that it needed it. But I would 100 % stay there again. Caitlyn at the front desk was very helpful and knowledgeable. I had 2 rooms as we were there doing insurance work. Randy

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
We appreciate you staying with us during your work here and we are so happy you enjoyed your accommodations! We take great pride in providing a clean, comfortable and friendly atmosphere for all our guests! We hope you will stay with us again when you are in the area!