“Just fine”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in York
Toronto, Canada
“Just fine”
Reviewed April 23, 2010

I had made a reservation here based on reviews, but I almost cancelled after I stayed in an awful Americas Best Value where the service and attitude left me feeling pretty angry. But I didn't, and I'm glad. This one is good, with pleasant staff and a nice room. There's nothing too impressive from the outside, but we were quite happy with the room we had which was well equipped. The breakfast was fine, and some of the people we met at breakfast seem to stay here whenever they are in the area, which says a lot. Good value, too, and easy to get to.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Breadbird
jane32956, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Palmer Inn, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
We here at the America's Best Value Inn Palmer Inn appreciate your patronage. We are please we met your needs and look forward to having you stay with us again the next time you are in our area.
Betty Hatfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Wisconsin
Reviewed December 16, 2009

My husband and I have been driving 0ver 1000 miles and so bad wanted a nice clean quiet Motel to stay at so I searched the internet for reviews of Motels in York NE and this one had great reviews so we chose it. It surpassed all my expectations! Wendy at the front desk was so warm and friendly made me at ease already. (Im not real fond of Motels stays) Then the price was WONDERFUL and she even asked if we were members of AARP and it saved us even more money. We got our keys and when my husband unlocked the door, WOW, what a GREAT suprise! So nice, smelled so good and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! I usually bring in my own blanket and pillow but I left them in the truck as this was so clean I was totally comfortable with the bedding! We slept like babies and actually wish we had time to spend another night. Thanks Palmer Motel!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
We here at the Palmer Inn appreciate our ability to meet your needs. We look forward to showing you hospitality when you come through our area again.
WEST CHESTER
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We chose this hotel because it seemed to have fewer complaints than most moderately priced hotels in York. The room itself was typical and adequate and included a microwave and refrigerator that we did not use. Our room opened onto an interior hallway that got little light, so it seemed dingy. We were next to the vending area and had the laundry room behind us, which accounted for some of the banging we heard in the morning before we were ready to get up. We stayed three nights and had no maid service the first day - we did the second day after I complained. Another annoying issue was that we had to have our room key cards reset three times. The included breakfast was better-than-expected, including waffles, cinnamon rolls, cereals, bananas, and more. Internet access in the room is via ethernet; fortunately, I had a cable. My computer detected a wifi after the ethernet was running, so maybe wifi is also available. There is also a computer terminal in the lobby.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your kind words and patronage at our Inn. We look forward to seeing you again on your trip through our area.
Broomfield, Colorado
Reviewed September 3, 2009

My daughter and I stayed at the Palmer Inn (aka America's Best Value Inn) in York, Nebraska in August 2009. When we pulled up, I thought, uh-oh, this place doesn't look so great. The architecture is uninspired, at best - kind of a cell-block look. But when we entered the room, it was just fine - clean and nicely furnished.

Their internet access was via ethernet cable, which was fine with me, as I carry one with my laptop. If you don't have one, they have them at the front desk.

While they use key cards for room access, they re-use them from one guest to the next, so you have to remember to leave them in your room at the end of your stay.

The pool (which is in a fenced-off area of the parking lot) was worth a visit, if only to read the rules. Rule #1 states that anyone using the pool must take a shower, in the nude, using hot water and soap. Reasonable enough, but more detailed than most "you-gotta-shower" pool rules. It was Rule #2, however, that I particularly appreciated. I don't remember it verbatim, but there was an unintentional double negative in it, which resulted in the unusual requirement that you can only use the pool if you have a contagious disease. I wish I'd taken a picture of that sign.

The breakfast looked fine, but we didn't partake.

We'd stay there again, if only to take a photo of the pool rules sign.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
We appreciate your kind words about our establishment. We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again on your trip through our area.
South Pittsburg
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Very nice place for the money. Clean and neat. The morning breakfast looked good but the room where it is served is small so we just grabbed some fruit and coffee to go. Hard to go wrong by stopping here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your kind words about our establishment. We hope to see you again on your future trips through our area.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 29, 2008

On a recent road trip from Las Vegas NV to Alliance Ohio (8 fun filled days of road travel, an arduous undertaking at best) we discovered a little gem in of all places, York Nebraska. Traveling with my brother and husband, a total of 4500 miles, the second stay of our trip ended at The Palmer, a quaint motel off the I-70 interstate. We saw a coupon for the Best Western Palmer Inn in one of the free magazines you find at all the gas stations along the way and noted it was a Best Western. We assumed it would be a decent place, AAA registered and safe.
We called when we were about 30 minutes away and were told they had a vacancy. Upon arriving, we were greeted with warm friendly faces and they accepted the coupons, although they had not been a Best Western motel since December of 2007. The lobby was immaculate and homey; the decor had a country clean air about it. We were given two rooms around back (rooms 121 and 122). We had a view of a vast cornfield with a little farm house in the distance.
We always asked for Non-Smoking rooms, the smell of stale smoke is usually a downside for us, even though we smoke. Even so, I carry a can of Fabreez for those 'just in case the maid service lacks' moments. In this case, it was never needed. My brothers room had a HUGH king size bed, Fridge and Microwave, and a lazyboy chair! - rm #122. Ours had two of the most comfortable beds I had ever laid my head down. We opted for the two beds since we seemed to have spent WAY too much time in close quarters in! I admit it was nice to stretch out and sleep likes a baby.
The motel has a cute and convenient laundry facility, handy and safe, and also vending in the same room. We even decided to not set the alarm for 5 am to get out and on the road. That’s how comfortable this place was. It was just small enough to give you the feel of a retro motel, kind of like visiting your relatives without the usual drama associated with it!
In the morning we were surprised by the complimentary Breakfast bar, never have I had the pleasure of Biscuits and Gravy, along with a variety of cereals (hot and cold) fresh fruit and even peanut butter and jelly to make a snack with for later!
We had stayed at about 7 motels along our road trip, This one was by far the best...so much so that we even figured out a way that we could stay again on our way back to Las Vegas, It so happens the first time was not a fluke. The second stay was just as great.
To be sure, I am a very picky traveler. When it comes to being comfortable where I rest my head at night, I require a few things, clean, free of odor, friendly faces, local, and will I return factor. This place hit it on the nose, and then some.
If you are traveling east or west on I-70 through Nebraska, and want to stay at a really great motel, I fully recommend The Palmer Inn.
I was also told to try out the Chances R for dinner, just down the road in downtown York, we did on our return trip. Review to come. Hint: FANTASTIC! Who knew?

• Liked — — the odor free clean safe rooms. The quaintness, the fact that it was not a crowded place, where you feel like a number, here you feels like a person.
  • Disliked — can't think of a thing!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jwneddotcom
We appreciate all of your kind words and advertising for us. We hope to see you again in the future.
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed May 12, 2008

This property was very clean and very quiet, which was perfect for my wife and I because we were tired from driving all day. The staff was very nice and helpful. They recommended some very nice restaurants that we would have never known about.

I highly recommend this place.

• Liked — clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — it was all great
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Arkansas111
Thank you for your kind words about our establishment. We appreciate your business. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.