“One of my top 5 golf experiences”
Review of The Prairie Club

The Prairie Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Deep in the heartland of America, on the rim of the Snake River Canyon, near Valentine, Nebraska, is The Prairie Club, a place that rivals more famous golfing destinations and attracts devout believers in the game. Played as it lies, this uniquely American terrain has been so gently seeded, each hole so naturally revealed, it is as if the Divine Hand wore a golf glove: unimaginable beauty, heightened senses, and a focus on leaving well enough alone. Those who make the journey will discover 46 of what may be the world's most undisturbed holes of golf, recently ranked in the Top 100 in America. When the sun goes down over the Canyon, guests find all of the comforts of Midwestern hospitality in a 40,000 square foot Lodge, complete with one of the finest dining experiences available. One look towards the heavens will reveal a blanket of stars so bright you'll begin to understand why the Pioneers left the city all those years ago.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Just visited The Prairie Club with three buddies for three nights/four days of golf. The golf was outstanding. Certainly top five of my golf experiences. I enjoyed both courses. Even though the golf was outstanding it wasn't what I would tout the most about The Prairie Club, that would be the food! The chef is fabulous! Being that the guests are essentially captive, the food had better be good or no one would come back. Well, it's some of the best food you'll ever eat. The accomodations are top notch as well. We couldn't have been more comfortable than in our four room cabin. Each of us had our own king room with bath. A common area with bar, tv, and furnishings centered the cabin. At the cabin we spent most of our time together on the deck though. If you're visiting for the first time there are some things you need to know. First, we weren't welcomed by a bellman or concierge but by cart boys, maybe fitting for a golf club but not a high end destination. They were not properly trained to give us the run down on what to do or how things worked. Our cabin wasn't ready so we changed in the locker room for golf and the boys stowed our bags. They did deliver them to our room for us. Each day one of the two courses is reserved for the members. So if you want to play 36 it's on the same course. That wasn't an issue for us but just one thing we didn't realize. We weren't exactly clear on the gratuity set up in the bar and restaraunt. We were adding tips or leaving cash and then thought later they were adding 18% on the checks. So check that out. The customer service level in the lodge is outstanding. Everyone we dealt with was so pleasant and helpful. Kim has only worked there as a server a short time but handled us like a seasoned pro. Even though the temps when we were there were 100+ it was a bearable dry heat. A very nice gentleman works very hard stocking the coolers located on the two courses with ice and complimentary bottled water. There is a "halfway" house on each course with food and beverages. I give The Prairie Club a four of five rating a recommend it.

3  Thank G0_Wild

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Best golf experience I have ever had. I would recommend this to any lover of golf. Take a weekend or weekday trip and over dose on golf. You will be talking about it for years with your friends. Great lodge for accommodations, awesome cabins that overlook the Snake River Canyon and the FOOD!!! Oh the FOOD!!! Hats off to the Chef. You will have to have caddies your 1st couple of rounds but they are top notch and make the round so much fun. No yardage markers and the courses are LONG and the caddies made all the difference. Thank you for the great trip. I am still talking about it 2 years later. I will be back!!!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I just returned home from The Prairie Club and five days at one of the finest facilities in the world. I don't think I've ever taken the time to write a review on a destination, although figured this should be my first. Typically, people only take time to give their thoughts if they have negative things to say. If you're looking for that, stop reading now...

The Prairie Club hosted our group, which was the 14th annual gathering of a group of guys from all over the US. We've been to Bandon, Pebble, Pinehurst, Northern MI, as well as some other very remote destinations that are very hard to gain access. So, I think our point of view of golf destinations is fairly relevant. We also have a range of players and abilities, from former pros who have played in PGA Tour events, to 16 handicaps who are really just learning the game.

I think I can speak for everyone in saying that The Prairie Club is a legendary venue that is only going to improve over time. Both golf courses are top notch tracks and give you two completely different challenges. I expected The Dunes Course to be the better of the two courses, although most in our group seemed to have higher praises for The Pines Course. The Pines may be a more traditional feeling course, with a few holes wandering through the pine trees. The Dunes is a true links style test, with nothing to protect you from the prevailing winds. For those of you that have been to Bandon...it would be like the difference between The Trails course and either Bandon or Pacific Dunes. Trails has a similar feel with wooded surroundings, although still is a links style layout...for the most part.

We also held a nine hole event on The Horse Course, which is a great venue for some lighthearted fun and games. We hold a nine hole derby type event every year in honor of one of our fallen former members and this years event was made perfect by The Horse Course.

Also, I can't say enough about the staff and everyone we met during our stay. I'm not sure if people like being mentioned by name online, so I won't but...Planning this trip was made simple by the course management. Once we arrived, they leave nothing for you to worry about. Golf shop staff, food and beverage, including all the servers who dealt with our bad jokes and annoying conversations, the cart crew, down to the crew behind the scenes cleaning the rooms...first class all the way. Many of them have been there for a few summers now, so they have the process down to a science.

Accommodations are not only very nice but, well thought out for the clientele a place like this will attract. Everyone has their own room, with a common area surrounding each four room cabin. Plenty of space for kicking back and relaxing with a cocktail...

No need to go on really...I think the only thing that could hurt your experience on a trip to The Prairie Club would be bad weather, which we didn't get. Sure, we got some wind and even a few small 5/10 minute showers, although it would seem unnatural not to have mother nature smack you around at least a little in that area of the world. There's nothing you can do about that though...and all the other great venues around the world would be equally as miserable in bad weather. I can tell you that Pebble Beach is a horrible place to be when it's cold and raining sideways. Seriously though, don't doubt your decision to visit...

Thanks to everyone at the TPC, including all of the members we met and two of the clubs founders. Class people all around...you have a GREAT place there. We'll definitely be back to take in the new course in a few years.

4  Thank Kent W
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

One of the most beautiful parts of Nebraska. 2 links style courses. 1 ten hole short course. The big courses are large but walkable. The wind cab be challenging. Hotel and cabin accommodations. Have the ribeye in the restaurant.

1  Thank Robert J
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This place will cater to your whims. If you want, your caddy will make sure you have a great round. The staff actually have personality and will be there for you or make sure you have your space. It is definitely unique and worth the effort. Tom will make it so.
And the trout fishing isn't bad either.

1  Thank bchahn1950