“Nice river view”

Marina Inn Hotel & Conference Center
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice river view”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have family in SSC so have spent a lot of time at this hotel. It's right on the Missouri River and river facing rooms have a lovely view. Only the ground floor rooms have a patio, there is no walk out capabilities above ground floor. I always stay ground floor, riverside when I stay there. Nice to be able to walk out on the patio and have morning coffee.
I have stayed in several suites over the years as well. There are nice suites with a separate living room and small kitchen which have a huge bedroom. Both rooms have a beautiful river view. There was also a jetted tub for two in the bathroom.
Have stayed in a larger suite that had an additional dining room with table that could seat 8. This suite had double patio doors that walked out to dual patios. This was perfect when entertaining family.
My most recent stay was this past weekend. The Marina is in process of renovations. We were put into one of the rooms awaiting renovation. We requested a ground floor, riverside room with king bed. Got ground floor reversible with 2 queens. Not a big deal. Room smelled bad though. We got there late, so didn't want to mess with it that night. Started hearing noises, found three extremely large moths in the room. Had to catch and release. My belief is that the room smelled when the maid was cleaning room, so the patio door was opened allowing moths to come in. Talked to front desk the next morning on our way to a family event, he gave me a different room and said no hurry to move. About 1.5 hours later got a call from the Marina Inn (on my cell) asking me to move my stuff right away as they needed the room. Woman was rude. Went back to hotel and switched rooms.
Had complimentary breakfast in Kahills onsite. Although it was not busy, and the menu extremely limited, it took forever to get our breakfast. When we got it, it was wrong for 3 out of 4 of us. Decided after that to breakfast somewhere else..complimentary or not, it was not worth the time investment.
This stay was not the best for me. I will stay there in the future as my family is about 10 minutes away, so super convenient, but I hope they will kick it up a notch. Definitely not my best stay here.

Room Tip: Ground floor, riverside allows walk out patio.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Maggie0526

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Roeland Park, Kansas
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Booked a room here for my wife and three sons, who were traveling over Memorial Day weekend. Initially they were given a room with only one king bed. The personnel at the front desk moved them to a larger room without any hesitation. I think the Marina Inn completed a pretty extensive renovation recently, and my wife said everything in the hotel appeared to be in excellent condition. We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Dave M
Clinton, Iowa
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This hotel was very well maintained and the restaurant Kahil's served very good food for dinner and breakfast. Staff at the hotel was considerate and helpful.

The only exception was my waitress at breakfast. As she requested my order, as I spoke the words she was rushing to ask me the next thing. There were only four people dining at 830 AM. I was accompanying my husband who attended a conference there. She brought coffee to the man at the booth adjacent to my table. Then she went to refill a table with one person three tables past mine. Finally she came around and I asked for some more water. It took 15 minutes before she came back and walked to a counter not far from me, and picked up a glass of water to bring me. Earlier I had asked for butter for my toast (I prefer to do it myself - kitchens tend to put way more than I like on the bread). That took here nearly 10 minutes to bring me. While the food was good, her rushing me and then taking her sweet time bringing me a second cup of coffee and water, soured me on giving her a tip. That was my only problem with the hotel

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank iahmb
sioux falls, south dakota
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This was a beautiful place to stay. The room was clean, and beautiful and the beds were comfy! The free Starbucks coffee in the morning was a nice surprise. And the restaurant Kahili was awesome!
The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We had view of parking lot but they offer you a choice when booking and tell you the difference in p...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maxthecat65
Brookings, South Dakota
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

It's a very nice hotel with friendly staff, clean rooms, comfortable beds and a nice view of downtown Sioux City and the Missouri River. Kahill's Fish Chop & Steakhouse next door is a bonus. Great food and ambiance. I've stayed here a number of times over the past 5 years and have never been disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014
McMinnville, Oregon
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here one night for a business conference. I was pleasantly surprised by the gorgeous decorations and furnishings, extremely helpful and friendly staff, and very comfortable beds. I am rather picky about beds and pillows, and like a softer bed. The bed in the king standard room exceeded my expectations. There were lots of pillows to choose from on the bed, as is typical for a hotel. I particularly liked the down pillows, they were more comfortable than my usual pillows at home! The room I was in was not facing the river, but was extremely quiet. I stayed on the fourth floor and was right next to the elevator but never heard it once. All of the other guest rooms on the fourth floor were down the other hall. I did not eat at the onsite restaurant, but heard it's quite good. I did review their menu, the prices are a bit on the high side. Overall, I had a very pleasant stay and would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Yankton, South Dakota
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We decided to stay here, because we love the onsite restaurant, Kahills. We got the Valentine's package, which turned out to be a joke. We were supposed to have champagne & chocolates in the room - turned out to be 4 tiny squares of cake, not chocolates, and a dinky sample bottle of sparkling wine that was enough for by boyfriend and I to each have half a glass. I didn't expect good champagne, but I did expect a bigger bottle. The vending machines & ice didn't work on the 3rd floor. Hunted around 2nd floor and managed to get 2 CANS of pop but that was all we could get to work from that machine. Gave up.
The one nice thing about the room, was there was a little trap door window so we could get some fresh air in. That was a saving grace, because of the rinky-dink heating system - we would've been miserable otherwise. Wasn't a digital thermostat, wasn't a thermostat at all. Under a metal panel, you could choose from hot, cold and high, medium, or low. We set it on low and on the cool side, and it just pumped out hot air, but only in spots. Some parts of the room were cold, other parts were like an oven.
Bed was hard as a rock. With a lump in the middle. My boyfriend likes firm beds, but after an hour, he admitted he was uncomfortable. It hurt to even toss & turn because the bed was so hard and convex, I probably would've been better off on the floor. I don't know how many times I woke up in the night, and then had a sore back the next day. One of the worst nights sleep I've had.
We did check out the pool. There's a cool mural of a beach on one wall by the pool, and the pool was decent size. However, the floor dipped all the way around the pool between the pool and the wall with no drain, so there was just this dirty trench all the way around. I don't know if it's always that filthy, or if they hadn't cleaned the floor in awhile. But I'm guessing that dirty water was what was leaking into the hot tub, and leaving brown rings of suds in it - it was disgusting, and I've never seen a hot tub that dirty.
Overall, I'd NEVER stay here again. I expected more from a place like this, but it was lower quality than some dumpy motels on the interstate - seriously. I'd recommend the restaurant, but stay somewhere else for the night.

Room Tip: River-side view is worth the extra $10.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Sioux City
#13 of 19 in Sioux City
Hampton Inn & Suites Sioux City South
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dakota Dunes

Been to Marina Inn Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!