“Old Building. All carb breakfast. Cost high for the room.”

Knights Inn & Suites South Sioux City
Knights Inn & Suites South Sioux City
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Very overpriced for the old 1950 building/rooms. Another all carb American breakfast (like the Days Inn), except worse, lack creamers - mini containers...(like 1/2 & 1/2 and French Vanilla) for coffee...only had the powder envelopes (that is suppose to cause cancer). NO fruit which the Days Inn at least has for their breakfast! No waffles either! Only positive thing to say is that, there was a refrig. and microwave in the room.

Room Tip: Shop around before staying here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Knights Inn & Suites South Sioux City

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I needed a place to stay for 3 days while I was visiting a relative of mine. While I was checking in, I noticed how nice the lobby's atmosphere was. They didn't have hot breakfast, but the continential breakfast was still ok for me. When I was looking for a place to eat at, I realized there's like three or four restaurants across from here that I could just walk to! What a great way to save gas:) After a long day, I just wanted to relax. I went outside to their pool and I was surprised at how big their pool was! The pool was very relaxing and nice. I also liked how I got access to the internet with free WI-FI. I recommend staying at this hotel for any occasion.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is gonna take a bit.

I checked into this hotel for six days while attending a trade show in Sioux City Iowa. I didn't expect the Hilton, I knew I was booking a "lower tier" property. Lets start examining just what "lower tier" means in this case...

Since I'm working trade shows, I typically have restock shipments sent to whatever hotel I'm going to be at for that particular show. 95% of the time, this works without incident. I had two packages sent to this hotel. The first package arrived before I did, and was waiting for me when I got there. Interestingly enough, this package was opened. The hotel manager explained (I think) that he mistakenly opened up the package thinking that it was his, even though my name & phone number were clearly labeled on the box. Huh. I let him know that another package was coming in the next day... that one came in, and it looked like it might have been opened as well. ??? Perhaps he didn't open it, perhaps just every freakin' seal on the bottom of the box failed simultaneously. You got me on that one.

The room was just as "lower tier" as I expected. The bathroom had two issues, one, the toilet would NOT stop running no matter what, two, the shower literally takes about 10 minutes of running before you get ANY hot water. Plan accordingly.

The ice machine on the first floor was NOT working. They had an ice machine on the second floor, at the top of a flight of stairs (no elevator, BTW). The ice machine at least worked, but you had to put up with a sign on it that not only said "no coolers", but warned that the ice machine was on camera and "you would be charged" if you dared to use anything but the ice buckets. Kinda "in your face" there.

As another reviewer noted, the pool was not operational. I don't personally care, as I don't use the pool, but I figured that I would back them up on that. :)

I only saw one bug... it crawled out in the middle of the bathroom to die, and there it stayed.

I took a look at the mattress to make sure that this place wasn't going to have issues that I didn't want to deal with, and I have to say, that's one of the most stained mattresses that I've seen in a hotel to date. Wow.

Now, we come to the good part. I had planned on staying at this establishment for six days, but I ended up with an emergency that called me back home before I planned. I found this out on day four, packed up, and went to ask the manager (who, by the way, was the only person I saw at the desk at any time I went up to the front, no matter what time of day it was). Since it was after the 11am checkout time, I fully expected to have to at least pay for day 5, but I wanted to get a refund on day six. I was NOT getting any special deals for being there, say, a week... I was getting a daily rate from Wyndham's website. The manager claimed that he didn't think that he could actually give me a refund on the last day, because "I had booked it through a third party site". Wyndham is a third party site? And, just for clarification, this guy himself had ran my CC the night I checked in... he KNEW that they were the ones that charged me, not some third party. I could barely understand him with his "less than perfect English" and my admitted hearing problem, but I got the impression that he was going to try to figure out a way to refund that last day for me, and then give me a call to let me know.

Not expecting much at this point, I left and attended to my home situation.

Three weeks later....not only do I NOT see a refund, but amazingly enough, Wyndham doesn't report any points for this trip. None, not even the "zero points" that I got from another lowbrow establishment that I booked some time back. It's as if they really don't want to admit that I was ever there.

So, all I can really say at this point is "let the traveler beware". I probably will do another show in Sioux City again... but I won't make the mistake of staying here again.

Oh, one last observation... when walking the halls here, pay VERY close attention to the floor. There are step up/step downs that are NOT clearly marked. I nearly took a fall on the first night because of this.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank kansasccw
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I booked this room for the price and the pool. Upon arrival the outdoor pool was drained and my kids were disappointed. They also did not have an excersize or game room as listed in their amenities. The place was older but the room was clean. Ok place to rest your head though.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank travelingwithteens11
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I visit ssc to see my family andvstayed at this hotel for three nights. This is a very nice family run business and everyone was extremely nice. I even locked my keys in my car and the manager was nice enough to call AAA using his membership to help me. I had a nice stay, the rooms were clean and confortable. I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Lets start with the location fronting the train tracks in the wrong side of town and a crossing so the train horns blast all night. The check in was hopeless, the manager rude and the room beyond awful. It was small, dated and dirty (read burnt blankets and soiled pillow). The carpet was a mess, the toilet small and the shower was filthy and broken (seriously!). We relied on an Orbitz review that could only have been written by a shareholder. Do yourself a favour, sleep elsewhere. We had pre-paid and arrived too late to find other accommodation or would have left. Will never stay in a Knights Inn after this experience, NEVER!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ZeddyDog
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Sioux City
Americas Best Value Inn- South Sioux City
Americas Best Value Inn- South S...
#2 of 6 in South Sioux City
Marina Inn Hotel & Conference Center
Marina Inn Hotel & Conference Ce...
#1 of 6 in South Sioux City
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Sioux City
Hampton Inn & Suites Sioux City South
Hilton Garden Inn Sioux City Riverfront
Super 8 Sioux City South
Super 8 Sioux City South
#6 of 19 in Sioux City

Been to Knights Inn & Suites South Sioux City? Share your experiences!