“If you know what a Runza is...”
Review of Runza

Runza
Ranked #13 of 33 Restaurants in Sidney
Reviewed January 30, 2014

A Runza is a yeast dough pocket filled with a paste of meat- beef or pork, minced cabbage and onion and salt and pepper as seasonings and baked. This is a comfort food the Volga German immigrants brought to Nebraska. Later hamburgers and the other menu items were added. OVERALL= Very Good, considering service, variety, and value. SERVICE= Excellent. The employees were all very friendly. FOOD= Very Good. The basic Runza is plain. If you like spicy food, you would consider this bland, There are options such as the Southwest or the Pepper Jack, but this is something we wanted to try again, as part of our journey. The chili was flavorful, the fries and onion rings are great, and there are hamburgers- but then you would miss the experience of the ethnic food. VALUE= Average. The cost is more than for a hamburger, but then it is a specialty item. ATMOSPHERE=Very Good. Fast food diner- clean, efficient. It's something to try-

1  Thank IslaEsperanza

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Before our cross country trip, I had read online not to miss the Nebraska chain called Runza. Being of German heritage, I was excited to try one of the supposedly Russian-German sandwiches of spiced meat and cabbage.

The food was a total disappointment! I had a mushroom/swiss Runza (bland) and my husband had a spicy version - also not very good. For side order we both opted for 'frings,' which despite my high hopes had no correlation to Pollos Hermanos founder Gustavo Fring (it's half fries, half onion rings). Our children had typical fast food kids' meals, with free ice cream.

The employees were very polite, friendly, and helpful, so I give them high marks! The food just wasn't anything special, and the facility was very dirty (caked on food in the word TRASH on the trash can swinging door, dirty floor).

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We heard about this place from a friend and tried it. The food was OK but wasn't that great. We will not stop again.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

But I do not know why. I had seen one of these restaurants at an interstate interchange on my way to Sidney. Since I was unfamiliar with it I decided to try it for lunch. The restaurant was quite busy which implied that something special was on the way. Having never heard of a "Runza" before I opted to give the "Southwest Runza" a whirl. I will not be sampling another. Perhaps the other menu options would have more appeal to me but given this experience I will fall back on more familiar choices.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great burgers but that's not why Runza and I have a long, many visit relationship. Try the hamburger and cabbage mix wrapped in bread and baked which they call a Runza. You might have to travel long distances to have another. I do. The salads are also always an attractive choice. After 80 or so visits to this location over many years, the food and service have been consistently outstanding. I stop every time I'm in Sidney.

Been to Runza? Share your experiences!