“Look further!”
Review of Candlelight Inn

Candlelight Inn
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Scottsbluff
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed 2 days at the Candlelight Inn in Scottsbluff, NE. This particular trip was for pleasure rather than business and we had 2 rooms. While decorating was cute, the window treatments did not fit and the lights were so bright outside the room, that it was like day all night long! Very noisy nearby enviroment. The Lounge was closed due to water damage.

Room Tip: Look further when selecting a moitel - you can do better that this one!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Candlelight Inn

Reviewed July 16, 2011

Do NOT stay, do NOT stay, do NOT stay! I can not say it enough! From the moment I pulled up and saw unkempt landscaping and a large hose draining water from somewhere to the flooded parking lot I was leery! I went into the 'lobby' and was told that even though I was there early, 3:30 I could not get out of my reservation and would have to pay for two days no matter what because I 'made a deal with him.' (My reservation) I went to my room, the 'suite'and was immediately taken aback from the moment I walked up the shag blue carpeted (that had not been vacuumed in what looked like years!) stairs to walk into the room and discover an organ, a bowl of knives next to the door, broken blinds that were held up by a broken hanger! A mousetrap under the sink, a curling iron in the drawers (I think somebody had lived here). One closet door was locked and blocked by a bench, another closet in the bedroom had no door handles and had the screen door propped up in front of them. The room was so bad I stayed with a friend in her room (at Candlelight, we had a group of parents staying, we were in town for a baseball tournament). We THOUGHT her room was better. We were so WRONG! Within a half an hour of going to sleep we were worn up by a bed bug INFESTATION! We went to the front desk asking for our money back only to be told there was no chance, we would be charged for our three night reservation! Never ever ever ever ever stay at this 'motel'!!!!!! I have never EVER complained about a motel before or been compelled to write a review but I could not sit by and do nothing about this one!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank lallb
Reviewed October 19, 2010

One view of the Candlelight Inn is that it is cluttered and a tad threadbare. Another view (with which I agree, by the way) is that it is quirky and nicely comfy. Clearly it is unique among today's cookie-cutter roadside hotels. The homey Candlelight's hallways are filled with floor lamps, bookshelves, mirrors, vintage photos, knick-knacks, books and magazines. Likewise the rooms. And the bathrooms. And the lobby. Did I mention the flowers? The staff are welcoming and eager to please. Restaurants and service stations are conveniently adjacent. And the price is certainly right. All in all a nice place from which to visit Scotts Bluff Nat. Monument.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I stayed here on business, and if I hadn't been staying with a group I definitely would have switched hotels. The owners are very nice and the breakfast is awesome (buffet style) but the rooms are way to creepy for my taste. I stayed in a room that had 2 day beds with a bunch of dolls and other items, room didn't feel very clean and was just overall not very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2009

The hotel looks like it was built as a low-end chain property, but the owners have decorated it in a (somewhat kitschy) Prairie Victorian style and the feel is much more like a B & B. My room was chain-hotel size and layout, but with only one bed, there was space for a sitting area, which was comfortable. Everything was very clean. Best part of the hotel is the very excellent country breakfast, which is served buffet-style in the large basement meeting room. I downgraded my rating, however, because the bed was rock-hard, the pillow was flat, and the linens were old and thin. Upgrade, stat!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2007

I was horrified when I went to this hotel. From the moment I walked into the lobby I was sickened by the smell and overcome by how cluttered and dark it was. Because of their 48 hour cancellation policy, I was told that I would have to pay for the room whether I stayed there or not. I went and looked at the room and again was not happy with the room or the smell. The hall was cluttered as was every surface of the room. There were stains on the red velvet chair and couch in the room. In reading the other reviews, I understand that not everyone feels the same about this hotel but I would never, ever stay there. I had to drive to Torrington, Wyoming to find another room but it was worth it. And yes, the Candlelight Inn charged me for a 2 night stay even though I expressed how unhappy I was with the room and they were able to rent the room out because of a bikers convention. I was on company business and paid for the other clean hotel out of my own pocket just so I wouldn't have to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We stayed at the Candlelight Inn for one night in July of 2007. The striking thing about this motel is the old-fashioned decor. The hallways and rooms are full of "antiques" and other old stuff tastefully displayed: books, magazines, teddy bears, knick-knacks, etc. I had fun just looking at the stuff. However, the motel is just plain old, so the room smelled musty and smoky despite the No Smoking sign. The walls needed a paint job, the lighting was dim, and the pictures on the walls were faded. There was no counter space at the bathroom sink, and the showerhead was quite low, especially for my 6-foot-2 husband. There was a large mini-fridge with freezer and a microwave in the room. The air conditioner worked well, but it was noisy all night. We had a very good hot breakfast (included in the $75 plus tax room rate) that included eggs and meat. This motel was a strange mixture of positives and negatives. It was a piece of Americana that I found oddly appealing, though I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank 4 Joyful Travel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsbluff
Comfort Inn Scottsbluff
#3 of 4 in Gering
Arcadia Hotel
Arcadia Hotel
#2 of 4 in Gering

Been to Candlelight Inn? Share your experiences!