“Check your bed for bugs”

Holiday Inn Express Scottsbluff - Gering
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Scottsbluff
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We chose this hotel as we were traveling from the Rocky Mountains to the Black Hills and almost all other motels closer to Rapid City were sold out from the Sturgis Motorcycle Ralley. Upon check in we asked to view the room to see if it met our standards. The front desk attendant said no because "It wouldn't do you any good because we are sold out for tonight." Although the room was next to the elevator and ice machine the room was extremely quiet. The beds were comfortable but when a fellow guest pulled down the sheet covers there was a magggot like insect crawling in the sheets. We killed it and checked both beds for other bugs and found none. The next morning when another friend open the bath towel to dry herself off, it was filled with hundreds of straw and grass particles as if someone had used it to dry their hunting dog and put it back folded up. After getting over the fear of other invading bugs, the beds themselves were comfortable. The continental breakfast was decent. Upon checkout I told the front desk about the bug and towel problem. He was totally unsympathetic and basically said if you would have called us last night we would have changed out the sheets. My point to him was having paid $115 for a room for one night we should not have to encounter bed bugs or dirty towels with hay in the first place. After I repeated that about 4 times, he finally apologized.. I will think twice before staying at another Holiday Inn express.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank OmahaAnn
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Scottsbluff - Gering

Reviewed July 10, 2010

Modern, clean functional hotel.
Easy to find. Good location.
Friendly & helpful front desk.
Good breakfast.
Comfortable bedrooms.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I had an enjoyable stay at this Holiday Inn Express. The room and cleanliness were typical of HIE, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was a little stale, but I didn't eat until just before they closed breakfast for the day, so it's understandable.

The hotel is very close to both Chimney Rock and Scottsbluff. I spent the majority of the day hiking up scottsbluff and back down again while talking to other visitors and park rangers, so I found it to be well worth the stay. If you're coming from the east (as I was) then consider scenic route 26 from Ogallala to Scottsbluff. This will take a bit longer than staying on I-80, but I found the rolling hills & green fields to be a pleasant and relaxing drive with few other travelers.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I stay in a lot of hotels for work and this is truly my favorite of all! The room was gorgeous, clean and the bed was so comfy as well as the pillows. Laying in bed and watching the flat screen was incredible. Thank you Holiday Inn, I was totally impressed!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank sneckybecky
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I do not think too many people stop to see the Scottsblufff National monument but we found it very beautiful, and a nice stop on our way up to Rushmore and Badlands. This hotel was very clean and comfortable for our family of four (a five year old and an eight year old). The best thing about the place though, was the staff. They were super nice (maybe I am just not used to the Nebraska hospitality?) An example: I was sending two postcards back home and the front desk person told me he was on his way to the post office and would put stamps on them at no charge. He insisted! That is something you NEVER see anymore. I was very impressed witht he people who worked there. The poor girl working the breakfast bar was run ragged by some ex-Nebraska football players who were in town running a footballl camp. If you need a place to stay in this town I would strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank finnickytraveler
Reviewed August 6, 2008

This was a very nice stop on our trip to Yellowstone. The linens have been updated and the beds are comfortable. The hotel was very clean with a nice indoor pool for the kids. There was free beer and pop at happy hour and the free breakfast was complete and nicely done. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of this hotel (particularly for under $100) and will stay again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SKPFG
Reviewed May 21, 2008

This hotel was just completing a renovation when we were there in April. The rooms are large, very comfortable and very clean. The staff was very helpful and friendly. In the afternoon, there were complimentary snacks including beer, popcorn and chips. In the morning, there was a very nice continental breakfast with some hot choices also. The attendant tending the breakfast area was very nice friendly and did an excellent job of keeping the food and beverage items filled.
As said previously, the location is unspectacular but this is a great spot for visiting Scott’s Bluff NM and Chimney Rock.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank hammonl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsbluff
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Scottsbluff
#2 of 4 in Gering
Circle S Lodge
Circle S Lodge
#3 of 4 in Gering

Been to Holiday Inn Express Scottsbluff - Gering? Share your experiences!