“Waste of Money”

Waterton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walton
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Myself and my wife married here in December 2012, and what a fantastic day we had lovely atmosphere, rooms were clean and tidy and the staff were amazing.

After this experience we thought it a fantastic idea to stay over again for our first anniversary!

This experience was soon short lived, when arriving at the hotel we were put in room 23, nice four poster bed (held together with electrical tape), stained floors and chair, broken lamp, filthy bathroom, drawers all broken with nails hanging out. We needed out, I called the hotel manager and reported the room. We were then moved to another room, the number runs away from me. Hard bed, a bathroom the size of a caravans, and directly above our heads someones toilet, which they used practically all night.

We then went for a meal into Charlies bar. Food was cold and tasted out of sorts, and the service from the happy (not) waitress was absolutely disgusting. I told the Bar Manager about room 23, even he said he couldn't believe we were put in there, especially as we were celebrating such a special occasion.

I complained to the General Manager of the hotel, and sent pictures of the room. My advise for this is don't bother, they offered a room at half price next time we plan to go back. I wouldn't send my enemy there.

My advice is if you want to spend a lot of money for a nice room, good atmosphere and views and to finish it all with a good nights sleep. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE !!!!

Room Tip: DON'T bother wasting your money
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jordan9188
KateCloughPR, Guest Relations Manager at Waterton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review .We had thought after your stay that you had left satisfied after being brought complimentary champagne to your room and taking a reduction off your bill on check out.
It is such a shame that you felt you needed to write such a review and we feel deeply saddened by it, however we do understand everyone is entitled to their own opinions and views.
I would like to take this opportunity to advise the changes that have been made to room 23 – The curtain pole that had some electrical tape on has been removed completely from the bed, it was just an enhancement and should have been taken down as soon as it was broken. It is not part of the actual frame of the bed.
The handle on the drawer has been replaced with a new handle so the nail it screws onto is no longer visible.
The new carpet that has been on order since January as part of the ongoing refurbishments on the top floor is to be fitted next month and the chair has been steamed cleaned and the broken lampshade replaced.
If you do decide to give us a chance to earn your trust back and use your 50% discount we also gave you, I can assure you we will exceed all expectations. I would be happy to make your reservation personally and see to it you enjoy your stay as much as your wedding day.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at Walton Hall for one night only in March. The reception staff gave us very friendly welcome. Our room was very spacious with a lovely comfortable (huge) bed.
We booked the dinner, bed and breakfast option, and looked forward to a meal in the main restaurant. The food was pleasant, I had the pork fillet for my main which was a little dry, but my partner has the venison, which couldn't be faulted, beautifully cooked and presented.
Sadly the desert which was listed as a triple chocolate torte was in fact a very bouncy mousse. I can understand a error in the description, but when you see a table who were seated after us actually getting the triple chocolate torte delivered after ours was served, I must admit to feeling a little put out! The waiter that evening sadly didn't endear me to him either, I got the distinct impression he would rather have been somewhere else other than serving the few residents that evening.
Breakfast on the other hand was served by a really friendly young lady who was happy to chat and make us feel very welcome.
We would definitely stay again if we were in that part of the world, but would perhaps eat in a local restaurant rather than the hotel next time.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chuckles001
KateCloughPR, Guest Relations Manager at Waterton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

On the 22nd February we celebrated our wedding at this wonderful hotel! We were welcomed by very friendly and polite staff who couldn't do enough for us! The hotel was very clean and decorated beautifully! Our wedding was well organised by both wedding coordinators and the food was excellent! A weekend to remember!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Angie W

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed 1st of March for my wives 40th birthday and our anniversary, so booked the four poster room package with chocolates flowers and sparkling wine for £215, on arrival we were very impressed with the surroundings of the hotel, we stayed in Walton hall on the island, reception area is very nice, and the receptionist was very polite and efficient, we were allocated room 23 in the hall avoid this room at all costs, we were quite shocked when we saw it, it had cheap looking furniture in it, broken set of drawers with missing handles, stains on carpets and chairs, a part of the four poster bed was broken and had been taped back up with black insulation tape, this is not what I would expect from a four poster executive room. The food though was very nice and I could not complain about what we received, the breakfast was lovely too. We did use the pool and this was also very good, all the staff we encountered where very polite. So to sum it all up the room ruined what would of been an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 46tina

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Firstly I would like to thank you for your feedback and highlighting the issues with room 23. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience and feedback is essential in our deliverance of this.
I can assure you and our readers that all the issues raised recently with room 23 have been addressed and rectified.
We would love it if you were to comeback in the future and if you do consider the possibility please do not hesitate to book through me personally and I will ensure your stay is enjoyable from beginning to end.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed at this hotel many times on business in the Wakefield area. The setting is fantastic - spring and summer are tremendous. The food (bar) was is always very good and reasonably priced. Rooms vary from small to enormous depending on where you are in the hotel - but they are all well equipped, clean and welcoming.

Staff are good, service has always been very good. WiFi can be a little hit and miss depending on how many are logged on but it is free and works for me more often than not.

If you don't want to stay in a "big brand" hotel and are looking for something a little different on business or a pleasant weekend away then definitively try it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Jon P

Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Amazing hotel. Location is like non other, if I was to get married I would choose this hotel! The room was excellent and the staff were very friendly. My only problem was that I was staying due to business, although there was WiFi access it was very slow, and there was ZERO mobile signal. Apart from that 10/10!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Oliwhitney

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I took my girlfriend here for the valentines day meal and stay on the 15th February and have just arrived back and we already want to come back .

First of all , we arrived at the hotel and the pictures really don't do it justice . It was everything you could wish for the scenery , the way it stood out .. Just wow !

We entered the new building , and was greeted with a very warm welcome from the gent and the lady at reception , we was quickly checked in and shown our room and the gent offered to help with our luggage ( sorry I didn't take his name as it wasn't the first time he was very helpful either ) ..

The room , we stayed in room 70 in the deluxe room and it was absolutely fantastic . The first word that came to my girlfriends mind was 'Regal' . Awaiting was a wonderful bunch of flowers , champagne and chocolates .It was beautiful and had everything we needed including dressing gowns , iron , tea making facitlies , a lovely flat screen tv . It had a fantastic bathroom with a wonderful bath and a shower also ..

The facilities we're excellent we made full use of the jacuzzi , sauna steam room and pool .

The meal and the food - Out of this world !! And the service again from the gent who was in reception - outstanding ! Anything you needed , it wasn't too much trouble . But the good was really on another level . It was fantastic ..

What an amazing valentines treat it is , we shall definatley be returning and would recommend this place to absolutely anyone who wants a nice chilled out , romantic break . I cannot explain how pleased we both we're , the only thing now is , how do I top this for my girlfriend ?

What a wonderful place !

Thanks Luke

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Lukehendley

Thank you for your great review! We hope to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walton
Best Western Hotel St Pierre
Oulton Hall & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oulton
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa

Been to Waterton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!