“Lovely hotel, only one complaint!”

Waterton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walton
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I I stayed at this hotel for 1 night in October 2013 after attending a friends wedding. I ordered a standard double room with breakfast at £120. The room was very nice, a good size and was clean with all the necessary ammenities. The breakfast was brilliant with plenty of choice and the service was good. The rooms get very hot on a night time however once we opened the windows it soon cooled down. The shower was lovely and powerful and there were tea and coffee making facilities.

I requested a late check-out (12.30pm instead of 10.30am) so that my boyfriend could sleep in as he was due to work a night shift that night. A housemaid knocked on the door at 10.30am and woke him up and he politley explained to her that we had a late check out and to come back later. The maid then returned shortly afterwards and entered the room despite us putting a 'do not disturb' sign on the outside door handle. Again he explained that we had booked a late check out. Then shortly afterwards he got a telephone call to the room from reception staff who came across as rude asking us to vacate the room as we were late for check out. When I actually checked out at 12.30pm I complained about this to the reception staff who were very apologetic and kindly did not charge me for the late check out fee (£10). So although the constant disturbances were annoying at the time, the staff were professional when handling my complaint and it appeared to be a genuine mistake.

As for a wedding venue this hotel is second to none! The grounds are beautiful, the ceremony was very well planned and the food was delicious. It was obvious that they are experts at co-ordinating weddings as the whole day went without a hitch!

I would definately recommend this hotel as both a wedding venue or as a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank littlelise
KateCloughPR, Guest Relations Manager at Waterton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your great review. Our apologies again for the mishap with the late checkout and we are really pleased you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you to the Waterton Park Hotel omnce again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Waterton Park Hotel

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We had our wedding here at the end of August. After a year and a half of worrying, the day couldn't have gone better. Everything was perfect and the staff looked after us every step of the way. We have had so many compliments from our guests, some saying it was the best wedding they have been to and that was down to the venue, beautiful location and friendly staff. Thank you for an amazing day!!! Sam and Dave.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David R

Dear Sam and Dave, thank you for such a lovely review! We are so pleased you had a great day, we do strive to ensure our Bride and Grooms have a fantastic time on their wedding day. All the best for the future.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Lovely venue spoilt by a bit of greed. Daughter was married and had their reception here on Saturday 2nd Nov 2013. We also had rooms booked for families and friends, We had a ice sculpture where you can pour Archers down I was inform that they had paid for a bottle which cost £20 ok fair as you can imagine bottle ran out as it should at a reception I went to purchase another as I am the brides father, on ordering an other was inform £80 I asked why and the bar man said its for shots I declined the bottle you the reader think of this what you may.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RobHayes

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed here for one night in October as I was attending a wedding. I so wanted to give this a higher rating but overall the experience was only okay.

The setting of the hotel is lovely, sitting on an 'Island' surrounded by a moat. I stayed in the main hotel but there are rooms on the 'land' side of the moat.

Parking is on the land side and you have to walk over a bridge to the main hotel. The ground is large uneven slabs and not easy to walk over. One ruined pair of heels where they slid down between the slabs.

I stayed in an executive double room which was large and had a great bathroom with separate shower and a roll top bath.

There vey very irritating music which seemed to be piped into the room which, try as hard as I could, I could not find a way of turning off. As I was only going to be in the room for a short time I did not bother contacting reception and it had stopped when I got back at night.

The food at the evening reception was poor.

I was the only person in the restaurant at breakfast - how did the chef manage to overlook poached eggs?

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
KateCloughPR, Guest Relations Manager at Waterton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for taking this time to write a review. Your comments will be discussed at the next departmental meeting.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were there for the wedding of some of our friends. The room and the wedding were wonderful and the event staff at the island hall were very helpful. Drinks were a little steep but we had anticipated it.

We stayed in room 75 which was a beautiful four poster room with a stunning bathroom - the only downside was how hot it was! Bearing in mind this was the end of October, we opened both windows as wide as we could when we checked in at 2 and left them wide open til we left (including over night which was a little noisy). The bed was comfortable though and the room very clean. The tea and coffee tray was a welcome touch with both standard and peppermint tea, although a sachet of green tea would have been appreciated.

Unfortunately, the breakfast definitely let the room down. We went for breakfast earlier than the rest of our party (8am) as we needed to leave early and the young blonde woman who served us seemed to be slightly miffed that we had shown up early. We were asked to sit at a table set aside for our wedding party and invited to take food from the cereals / juices / croissant table and that she would then come and take our order. The croissants and fruit looked lovely but we didn't have any. We then ordered breakfasts; myself a full English with scrambled egg and my fiancé, a bacon sandwich. I also asked if I could have a white bread roll as the menu advertised them but I could not see any. The young woman went to the kitchen and then returned with the news that there were not any in this part of the hotel but if I "definitely wanted one", she'd "see if she could find someone to go see if they could find some at the other hall". I declined for time reasons and was annoyed to be made to feel as though I was an inconvenience.

Our breakfasts then arrived. Despite asking for scrambled egg, I received a poached egg which I did not get chance to challenge the waitress about as she left very quickly and we did not see her again before we left. The poached egg was solid and rubbery and I did not eat it. The bacon supplied was also very fatty and greasy and quite gristly, and my fiancé was unable to eat his sandwich due to the poor quality and cooking. We also both found our food to be barely luke warm and parts of it quite cold. The quality of the other breakfast food was good but the temperature put us off. The waitress never returned to ask if the food was satisfactory or if we needed anything.

Overall, gorgeous room, shocking breakfast - at £15ph for breakfast or £130 for a room and breakfast for two, it wasn't cheap either!

Room Tip: The four poster rooms are stunning - but be prepared to open the windows which can make them noisy
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to wrote your review. We take all our reviews seriously and I am sorry you had a terrible experiance at breakfast. I will certainly make sure this gets passed onto the breakfast department and I'm glad the rest of your stay was enjoyable.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I had my wedding here at the beginning of September and I can not thank the staff enough everyone was so helpful and helped make our day so special I would highly recommend waterton park as a wedding venue, beautiful surroundings and top class service. The rooms are beautiful and the facilities are brilliant loved every minute.
I will defiantly be going back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Holly F

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm so pleased you had a wonderful wedding, I will make sure our wedding co-ordinators see this and all the best for you and your husband.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were considering this as a wedding venue and went on a weekday evening to sample the food and service.
The food was disappointing given the cost and the service mediocre. Needless to say we are not getting married there!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew B

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I will pass your comments onto the relevent department.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walton
Best Western Hotel St Pierre
Wentbridge House Hotel
Wentbridge House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Wentbridge
Best Western Plus Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel

Been to Waterton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!