“Okay but a bit disappointing”

Waterton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walton
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed here for one night in October as I was attending a wedding. I so wanted to give this a higher rating but overall the experience was only okay.

The setting of the hotel is lovely, sitting on an 'Island' surrounded by a moat. I stayed in the main hotel but there are rooms on the 'land' side of the moat.

Parking is on the land side and you have to walk over a bridge to the main hotel. The ground is large uneven slabs and not easy to walk over. One ruined pair of heels where they slid down between the slabs.

I stayed in an executive double room which was large and had a great bathroom with separate shower and a roll top bath.

There vey very irritating music which seemed to be piped into the room which, try as hard as I could, I could not find a way of turning off. As I was only going to be in the room for a short time I did not bother contacting reception and it had stopped when I got back at night.

The food at the evening reception was poor.

I was the only person in the restaurant at breakfast - how did the chef manage to overlook poached eggs?

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
KateCloughPR, Guest Relations Manager at Waterton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for taking this time to write a review. Your comments will be discussed at the next departmental meeting.

There are newer reviews for Waterton Park Hotel

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were there for the wedding of some of our friends. The room and the wedding were wonderful and the event staff at the island hall were very helpful. Drinks were a little steep but we had anticipated it.

We stayed in room 75 which was a beautiful four poster room with a stunning bathroom - the only downside was how hot it was! Bearing in mind this was the end of October, we opened both windows as wide as we could when we checked in at 2 and left them wide open til we left (including over night which was a little noisy). The bed was comfortable though and the room very clean. The tea and coffee tray was a welcome touch with both standard and peppermint tea, although a sachet of green tea would have been appreciated.

Unfortunately, the breakfast definitely let the room down. We went for breakfast earlier than the rest of our party (8am) as we needed to leave early and the young blonde woman who served us seemed to be slightly miffed that we had shown up early. We were asked to sit at a table set aside for our wedding party and invited to take food from the cereals / juices / croissant table and that she would then come and take our order. The croissants and fruit looked lovely but we didn't have any. We then ordered breakfasts; myself a full English with scrambled egg and my fiancé, a bacon sandwich. I also asked if I could have a white bread roll as the menu advertised them but I could not see any. The young woman went to the kitchen and then returned with the news that there were not any in this part of the hotel but if I "definitely wanted one", she'd "see if she could find someone to go see if they could find some at the other hall". I declined for time reasons and was annoyed to be made to feel as though I was an inconvenience.

Our breakfasts then arrived. Despite asking for scrambled egg, I received a poached egg which I did not get chance to challenge the waitress about as she left very quickly and we did not see her again before we left. The poached egg was solid and rubbery and I did not eat it. The bacon supplied was also very fatty and greasy and quite gristly, and my fiancé was unable to eat his sandwich due to the poor quality and cooking. We also both found our food to be barely luke warm and parts of it quite cold. The quality of the other breakfast food was good but the temperature put us off. The waitress never returned to ask if the food was satisfactory or if we needed anything.

Overall, gorgeous room, shocking breakfast - at £15ph for breakfast or £130 for a room and breakfast for two, it wasn't cheap either!

Room Tip: The four poster rooms are stunning - but be prepared to open the windows which can make them noisy
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to wrote your review. We take all our reviews seriously and I am sorry you had a terrible experiance at breakfast. I will certainly make sure this gets passed onto the breakfast department and I'm glad the rest of your stay was enjoyable.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I had my wedding here at the beginning of September and I can not thank the staff enough everyone was so helpful and helped make our day so special I would highly recommend waterton park as a wedding venue, beautiful surroundings and top class service. The rooms are beautiful and the facilities are brilliant loved every minute.
I will defiantly be going back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Holly F

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm so pleased you had a wonderful wedding, I will make sure our wedding co-ordinators see this and all the best for you and your husband.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were considering this as a wedding venue and went on a weekday evening to sample the food and service.
The food was disappointing given the cost and the service mediocre. Needless to say we are not getting married there!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew B

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I will pass your comments onto the relevent department.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Found this place on the net at the last minute. I was really pleased. Great value. Everything about it was good, food, accomodation, value, servuce and ambience. A challenging little golf course is very close to it and nice to play. Defiantely worth a visit.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Adrian J

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are very pleased you found us and had great stay.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

wow, what can i say. Firstly the staff who greeted us at reception were lovely and friendly, my son had told them it was our anniversary and they wished us happy anniversary! Then on entering our room, we found chocs and fizz to celebrate with,, the room was stunning over looking the lake up on the top floor. We went for a pre dinner drink in Charlies bar and again the stakk were very attentive, we ate in the resturant and was served the most delisous food, with good wine and vert attentive staff, Julie was great, she's fab at her job, Thank you id you're reading this Julie. Also Johny the manager could not do enough for us and after back in the bar, stakk served us coffes and gave us local info.
The next morning was lovely and we went off for a walk round newmiller dam, i didn't make it all the way round cos my walking is restricted, but after getting back to the hotel we had a fab relaxing afternoon in the pool and jacuzzi b4 getting ready for yet another fantastic meal!
I would definatly recomment this hotel, the grounds are stunning, the hotel is decorated lovely and abouve all the staff make it a lovely place to be, thanks to you all, we can't wait to come again, caz n steve xx

Room Tip: staying in the old building ia lovely, very romantic!
2  Thank 46carolyn

Thank you for your fantastic review, we are so pleased to hear your comments. The staff work very hard to ensure every guest has the best stay and Julie and Jonny will be thrilled with your comments. We hope to welcome you back next year!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We booked this hotel at the last minute for a function we were going to in the area.
On arrival we were upgraded to a four poster room which was a nice surprise. It was a lovely large room with a huge bathroom. The breakfast was very good. The staff were very friendly, helpful and attentive. The hotel in beautiful surroundings, the water sparkling around its island situation was quite stunning. Although our room was not on the island it was still well situated for the views.
We would definitely stay there again

2  Thank Gigi52_13

Thank you for taking time to write your great review. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back sometime in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walton
Best Western Hotel St Pierre
Wentbridge House Hotel
Wentbridge House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Wentbridge
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa

Been to Waterton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!