“Poor decision by management”
Review of Blue Gums Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Blue Gums Hotel
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Booked for 10 people for Mothers Day lunch. Food was good but will not return to this hotel for the following reason. My daughter is a small eater and ordered an entree size veggy stack and requested it be brought out with the main meals everyone else ordered. My daughter was told that it would cost an extra $4.50 for this to occur , no other explanation as to why the extra charge . She declined to pay this and her meal came out prior to the rest of our meals, consequently she ate alone. This action from the hotel soured the rest of our time there. We spent a lot of money on food n drink for the lunch and are extremely disappointed that this happened. Will not be returning to the Blue Gums again. Will also advise others of this action by the hotel.
I have eaten in restaurants all over the world and have never experienced this before.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank PattB96

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Attended on a Thursday night with the wife as she wanted a break from cooking. Started with a thirst breaker but it's one I'll have to saver - as charging $9.50 for a Little Creatures Pale Ale stubbie is the most expensive price I've ever paid in Australia, including fine dining restaurants!!! That's not a great start.
My wife ordered Morton Bay bugs & scallops & I had the old "fave" - an Angus beef schnitzel with Diane sauce. The pricing on the menu at this hotel & others is creeping up towards restaurant prices but given the cost of running businesses in SA its not unusual. However, don't mind the cost as long as it's reasonable value. ( MB's & scallops $23, schnitzel $15- Thurs specials.)
The meal area wasn't too busy (7pm) & we didn't wait too long for our meals to come out, not super quick but quite reasonable, time wise.
The hot servery had an ok selection & the cold section a little more but nothing startling. We both selected from the hot serve & it was passable but nothing more than basic to be polite. A tip to the people who prepare it - make sure you actually taste it before you put it out. You might find that undercooking potatoes, for example, is not to everyone's liking.
To our mains, the wife's selection tasted like they were frozen items thawed & cooked, they didn't taste like fresh caught & as a result you get a, somewhat," washed out" flavour.The pesto sauce had so much garlic in it that it over powered everything else. Don't get me wrong, we like garlic but not this much!
My Schnitzel was large, the crumbs crispy & the beef quite good, however, the Diane sauce was more just gravy with pepper than a true Diane. Again, it's more of a matter of tasting before presenting. Still, I was hungry & it was still quite ok.
The general surroundings, inside, were ok but a little spruse up couldn't hurt as that overhead lighting setup looks a little dated. There is a outside dining area that looked quite attractive to sit in.
Staff were quite pleasant & friendly, no complaints there. Empty plate & glasses, etc, were cleared quit quickly from tables( not just ours) & wasn't left to just one person either, it was a general team effort to make sure tables were cleared appropriately. (This is often quite a bug bear of ours, even at much more expensive establishments, that your plates are not cleared when you have finished eating.)
So overall, it's really just a (barely) average run of the mill pub meal nothing more. Pretty much, especially in the North Eastern suburbs, hotels have spent vast sums of money expanding & modernizing their premises too visually improve them but, in my opinion, much less on the quality of food offered. Possibly, it might be just the night that you go to any NE hotel, that you get the A team or the B team. Pot luck.
This is the main reason we very rarely bother to patronize any hotel in the local area - they are neither consistent nor good value.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I have always enjoyed the meals at blue gums. I have just recently had the pleasure of eating at their new bar 345. Its a real eye opener and fresh design from the old tired sports bar they used to have. I really like how they have incorporated a beer garden open end with fake grass. The overall design is just so welcoming. I had the veggie burger, which was delicious and quite cheap in my opinion, the patty i believe looks home made (and their relish too) it was full of flavour. Even if your not big on veggie food, i highly recommend it. Best veggie burger i ever had.

My partner also had the salt and pepper squid, which was cooked perfectly and flavoursome. We also shared a bowl of chips which were crisp and crunchy. The presentation of food was quite different as well. The blue gums staff, are always very friendly and take great care in their customers and their food. Will keep coming back, very satisfied.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank KathyGH-01
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was the noisiest restaurant ever... 2 piece band playing music so loud that you could not talk, music peaked a 100DB (yes i had a meter). 6 out of the 8 meals where good, 1 Calamari was burnt to a crisp and a Steak was dry and tasteless.

Couldn't wait to leave... not a place for a relaxed family meal

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Captain-carl900

Been to Blue Gums Hotel? Share your experiences!