“Lunch at The Mole Inn Toot Baldon”
Review of The Mole Inn

The Mole Inn
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Cornwall, United Kingdom
“Lunch at The Mole Inn Toot Baldon”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Having read great reviews about the place we booked a party of five for a birthday lunch. All in all the visit was enjoyable, the menu was reasonable but perhaps a bit over-priced for what it was when eaten...my baby calimari was well cooked but basically tastless and main course of haddock on leek mash was smothered by the overwhelming mornay sauce.
The place was very busy on a Saturday lunchtime and although we understood the restaurant was child friendly i would not recommend taking toddler age diners..it didnt really work for us.
Pleasant surroundings and ambience and helpful staff.

1 Thank NickMcBreen

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
York, United Kingdom
“DON'T REST ON YOUR LAURELS YOU ARE LOSING THEM FAST !”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

To be greeted by the Manageress by almost throwing you out because of mistaken identity is not a way to be treated as a customer before even checking your name or reservation time ! Not good at all! The Manageress certainly needs to think about people skills as she certainly is lacking in them !
My food was not good in as much as I only managed half of my risotto ...we were asked twice how the food was and when I mentioned the second time that I did not like the risotto or the crab ...absolutely nothing was done about it ! Why not ? What is the point of asking a table how their food was if you are not prepared for feedback . The waitresses seemed rushed off their feet and had no time to smile or be friendly..You are going to get extremely busy in the next few weeks be prepared for it ...don't let your customers down ...We are paying for this experience...& it was not a happy one ...

1 Thank Serena-Antonia
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Only ok”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Lovely gastro pub, but this visit was just ok. There were four of us for lunch, and unfortunately my son had a terrible main course. He had the burger and said it was tasteless and the meat was tough, a small amount of salad garnish which was not up to much, and string fries which we think were frozen, not brillant for a two rosette restaurant. When asked if everything was ok with our meals, we told the waitress about the burger which we got an apology and an offer of a replacement meal, but my son did not want to have to wait for another meal to be cooked. He ended up leaving more than half the burger as it was inedible. The problem was not mentioned again by the staff and the manager did not come over to our table either. When our plates were cleared I mentioned the problem to a different waitress, who said it was being sorted. When the bill came we were not charged for it, but again no apology or discussion from any member of staff about the poor meal. I would mention the rest of the party did have nice meals, but this place has very poor customer service. This is not the first time we have had poor food and customer service, which is a real shame because we do like to eat there but there are plenty of restaurants with fantastic food and staff who care about their customers in Oxfordshire.

1 Thank 18lovetotravel
Oxford
“October 2013”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I've been to the Mole a few times and this occasion didn't disappoint!

We were greeted really warmly, despite turning up without a reservation, and were given menus immediately while we waited for a table. As usual, there were just too many great choices to pick from but I opted for the Thai spiced fishcakes, with aioli, sweet chilli, crispy garlic, and peanuts. My main was the rump steak (with fat chips).

The starter was simply amazing! It was nice and hot when it arrived, with just the right amount of 'kick' from the chilli sauce, and I could actually see and taste the fish, which contrasted beautifully with the aioli (which, at first, I had been a bit worried about as there was quite a lot of it). The level of garlic was really subtle, but just perfect, and the texture was actually quite fluffy! Beautiful!

The steak was really well flavoured, as I've come to expect from the Mole, with a beautiful and subtly-flavoured pepper sauce. My only issue with the sauce (and this is really splitting hairs) was that it could have been just a little thicker for me. Having said that, it was still a lovely accompaniment. The steak came with a thyme-roasted tomato and a portobello mushroom, and it all went together to make an utterly delicious meal!

Thank you again for not disappointing!

• Visited October 2013
basingstoke
“returning yet again”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife and I have visited The Mole on average about once every three weeks over the past year, usually at lunch time, and not once have we been disappointed. OK, some dishes have occasionally been better than others - today my wife's crab risotto didn't appear to have ever met a crab, but on its own terms it was very tasty. On the other hand my Ocean 'pie' was hugely generous in size and flavour, and we think it was probably the best one we had ever tasted (and we are old enough to have tasted a few!), and the creme brulee was as good as any we have had in France, and we are relatively frequent foodie visitors.
We usually choose from the ever-changing 'specials' menu, which in some ways is what makes The Mole outstanding, so much better than the majority of restaurants that soon go stale on a static menu, and after a while there seems little point in returning as one has soon exhausted the choices.
Ignore some of the less than positive reviews and book a table. My wife and I have always found the staff very friendly and helpful, so perhaps if you find something is wrong, bring it to their attention, and although we have never felt the need, may do as an experiment!
Don't pay any attention to those who may, on a rare occasion, have to ask twice. A few weeks ago I ordered a pint of bitter shandy, but a pint of bitter appeared - I pointed this out and within a very short time I had a pint of shandy. No problem.
Just go - I'm sure you will be very pleased that you did, the kitchen team really are spot-on professionals.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank vernon b
WITMOL, Chef Proprietor at The Mole Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you so much for your glowing review and your very supportive remarks - it is very much appreciated and even more so when it's given from a regular guest.
We hope to see you again soon and we are adding more crab to the risotto!!