“Wonderful Friendly Service & Delicious Food”

Ole's Big Game Steakhouse & Lounge
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Paxton
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Prohibition ended in Nebraska on August 9th, 1933, and Ole's opened at 12:01 the next day. Since then, we’ve been known as the bar in Paxton with great food and unusual decor. Over the years, our founder, the great outdoorsman Ole Herstedt, embarked on adventures in big game hunting that took him to every continent. For 35 years, he brought his trophy mounts home and hung them above the bar tables and booths: a moose from Canada, a python from Honduras, and even an iconic polar bear! Along with our hearty steaks and burgers made with local Nebraska beef, these trophies are why we’re known as Nebraska’s most famous roadside pit stop. Hop in the car, hit the road, and experience true Americana with us.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The owner was on spot to greet us and come to our table to tell us about the daily special. He checked to see if MSG was in any of the food. He then introduced us to a young man who had just begun working there who would be our server. I chose the hamburger steak (ground in-house) with homemade mashed potatoes and glazed carrots, carrot cake & tea which was their special. Three of us chose that while the other member of our party chose a chicken dish. Our food was brought out quickly and we definitely made the right choice. It was delicious. The restaurant was very busy and we noted the owner greeting everyone and then he came back to our table to see if we enjoyed. I can highly recommend this restaurant and wish we had one just like it in our hometown.

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Stopped in today around 3 so maybe it was not a good time for a meal. Service was extremely slow. We had an appetizer, onion rings. Then a rueben and a French dip both with French fries. Nothing we were served was hot just barely warm. It took over an hour and 15 minutes for this small meal. We would not make the effort to stop again.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

If you can get beyond the various animal heads around you the food was very good. Iconic place for the area and very busy. Service fast and personnel pleasant. I am not a big meat eater but wanted to try a buffalo burger. Cooked just right and actually very good flavor.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Food was great and people very friendly. Originally owned by a Big Game Hunter and all his trophies were on display.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed November 5, 2018

We enjoyed our steaks. They were the best we'd had while traveling through beef country. We tried the spinach artichoke dip with chips - the dip was good, the chips were a disappointment.. The little house salad was nice, the greens were fresh, maybe had been sitting on that plate for a bit, but did not seem to be from a bag; the blue cheese dressing had nice chunks of blue cheese in it. I ordered my rib eye with a baked potato, but was told the potatoes weren't ready. . Then the cook sent out word that by the time my rib-eye was cooked, I could have the baked potato. We had a nice little dessert - a peach cobbler, with ice cream. I didn't how I would feel sitting among the heads of so many beautiful animals, but it was okay. I didn't notice the elephant looming over me til half-way through my salad.
The server told us that she had worked there 30 years and that there used to be twice as many animals. But the place was once a bar, not a restaurant, and the heads suffered from the cigarette smoke. She told us that they had made the animals available to a group of blind students and that all of the meat from the kills went to tribes in the area where the animal was killed. It helped.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank RIkiS_11
TimH5468, Owner at Ole's Big Game Steakhouse & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2018

We appreciate all of your support, and we're glad you had a great experience. You can always count on coming here for a hearty meal. Looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Take care,