“Can't get over how many people like this place...”

Ole's Big Game Steakhouse & Lounge
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Paxton
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Whew...

Pro's: 1.) Their Filet was tolerable. Cooked as ordered and served warmish...

First Impression at walking in: Ole likes dead animals and taxidermy. Okay, so the real, stuffed Polar Bear squashing a sea otter was interesting, in a way. Most places don't have life-sized Polar bears: credit where credit is due. The rest of the critters were your run-of-the-mill US and African wildlife...stuffed and hung on the wall. Nothing to write home about and definitely a bit overplayed. If you go nuts for taxidermy, this is your joint, for the rest of us, I'd keep driving.

I'm dumbfounded by all the positive reviews, really, I don't understand. I'm going to break the meal down from the beginning to end for anyone that's interested.

Con's:
1.) The salad was cheap. I bought a $35.00 meal and got a buffet-type iceberg lettuce salad with bottled, cheap, lackluster, almost flavorless ranch. It had one tommy-toe tomato (of the hothouse variety) and one baby carrot. A pack of stale crackers adorned the top. How can one resist. No one in my party ate 30% of their salad.

2.) The tables were dirty, and you could tell, at best, get a swipe in-between customers. My arms kept sticking to the table top.

3.) Our waitress was bland. Made poor eye contact and could barely manage a half-smile.

4.) My meal (steak dinner) was pitiful. Served on dingy plates, the steak was room-temperature and wrapped in a strip of chewy almost uncooked bacon, the potato was overcooked and mealy. Paid $2.00 extra for some chewy bacon and a 1/4th teaspoon of shredded cheese for the potato. The rolls are akin to something you'd buy in a grocery store, and had been over warmed as they were dry and tasteless. I would rate the meal as a 1 out of 5 (one being the worst). McDonalds could procure something better than this meal!

5.) My friend ordered the Pork BBQ platter. It was a disaster. The meat, only okay, and served room-temperature. She ordered a side of macaroni and cheese (paying $2.00 more for the "upgrade" of said mac & cheese) I [--] you not...it was Kraft boxed macaroni & cheese with the powdered mix. They are crazy to up-charge you for such a cheap and childish take on this dish. Seriously the M&C pissed me off. They are scoundrels to charge you for such nasty food.

This place is a rip-off and I have no earthly idea why folks rant and rave about such sub-par food. The owners should be embarrassed.

Keep on driving and find something better to spend your money on.

3  Thank ProfTravelDuo

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Headed back home from vacation we stopped here to eat, The food was good, it was fun to see all the animals, birds, fish on the walls.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We drove through on the way to Sidney, NE and I was so glad we did! This place is fun for adults and kids alike. The animals take you away and keep you busy while you wait for your food. The food portions are large and taste wonderful. It is truly a great break from the road and fast food!

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Great break from the interstate. Good home cooked food. Great service. Amazing stuffed animal collection. Small town atmosphere. Loved the pork tenderloin sandwich and sweet potato casserole. Wife liked the French dip. Fast service!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

A goup of us visited Ole's for lunch. Food was very good and the restaurant was quite interesting. Stuffed animals on every wall. Some that are now on the endangered list, If you are in the area of Paxton Ne , stop for lunch you will enjoy it.