“Not your typical Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Ogallala
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Ogallala
Austin, Texas
“Not your typical Holiday Inn Express”
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I'm not sure what this was before it became a Holiday Inn Express, but it is not typical. It appears it was a western-themed motel/motor lodge. My room had two doors--one that led to the outside parking lot and one that led to the hallway. Different. Anyway, the room was nice, with the typical Holiday Inn Express decor. Very small bathroom, but I love Holiday Inn Express towels. Nice shower. Comfortable bed. Room was clean. Breakfast was the typical foods at HIE. I was not bothered by the train as a previous reviewer wrote. I heard it before going to sleep but not at all during the night. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Minnesota
Reviewed August 11, 2009

This Holiday Inn Express is right off the interstate and near train tracks, so if you are a light sleeper, you may wake to the sound of trains. The hotel was full the night we stayed and a group of motorcyclists were having a good time in the parking lot outside our ground level room at about 1 AM, which woke us, as well. However, the rooms themselves are very comfortable, with updated bedding. The free hot breakfast (in addition to usual cold breakfast items) made the room a great value, especially when traveling as a family, and the attendants at the breakfast were very pleasant and kept food supplied throughout a busy breakfast time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Wisconsin
Reviewed August 7, 2009

We stayed here for just one night as we were traveling home from Seattle. The room was excellent, clean and with a good reading chair which I always appreciate. The bed was comfortable also. Internet access was good which is not the case in all lodgings. We use our computer a lot while traveling and good access is important to us. The only complaint was that the light above the vanity was rather dim, and it was a little hard to see.

Breakfast was fine, and overall, we were very comfortable here. We didn't notice the highway noise which someone else mentioned. It was very quiet for us. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Hastings, MN
Reviewed July 7, 2009

My family and I were driving to Colorado for a vacation and I had to find a place to stay in Nebraska on our first night. Based on reviews on Tripadvisor I chose this motel and I was not disappointed. The location right off of I-80 was very convenient and there were plenty of fast food dining options in Ogallala near the interstate. The room was clean but there was a problem with the TV that I told the front desk person about. She was very helpful and offered me a different room but my family was settled in after a long day in the car and didn't want to move so she instead said that she would take $10 off of my rate. I thought that was extremely fair and would stay here again n the future if I was travelling through NE.

The breakfast they serve at Holiday Inn Express locations are all the same as far as I can tell. They have scrambled eggs that you can scoop out that taste sort of like they came from a cafeteria (nothing special but not horrible either). They had thin strips of bacon that were good and one of my family members said that the cinnamon roll was delicious. They had a small assortment of fruit and cold cereal as well.

Overall, it was a good value for an overnight stay. My cost ended up being less then $100 thanks to the $10 TV discount.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 29, 2009

We were on a two-week trip to Arizona and had reserved a room with a balcony. The rooms were very clean, and the bed was very comfortable. It had a large TV, and very plush towels. The staff was very friendly and accommodating - they even gave us free laundry detergent and softener because they weren't sure of the cost. The free breakfast was better than most. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Boise
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We rolled in here at about 9 pm off the Interstate and were able to get the last 2 queen room available. Clean, standard hotel. A bit of a western flair for the decor. Shower was great. Not one of the newer Holiday Inn Expresses, so don't expect the newer modern look. Not much to pick from in Ogallala...I'd stay here again. The breakfast lady was super nice and put out a great spread. Front desk lady also was great.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Nebraska
Reviewed March 18, 2009

My husband and I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express for one night as we were driving thru Nebraska. The staff at the front desk was friendly and the hotel seemed very clean.

We stayed in a standard king room, which faced the interstate. The room had a small fridge and a LCD TV. The bed was firm but nice, with a good selection of pillows. Unfortunately, the bathroom was cramped and there weren't enough towels. The road noise from the interstate was noticeable at all times. It didn't bother us, but light sleepers will be disturbed.

Although we put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, housekeeping came knocking at 8:30 am, just like another reviewer mentioned. The most disappointing part of our stay was breakfast. The front desk clerk had really talked it up the night before, telling us about the amazing omelets and cinnamon rolls. We found the breakfast quality to be similar to something you'd find at a gas station. The "omelets" were uniform little triangles, obviously cooked from frozen. Everything we tried - even the coffee - was disgusting.

We probably won't stay at this hotel again. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. If we find ourselves in Ogallala again we'll try the Days Inn.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ogallala
Quality Inn
#2 of 8 in Ogallala
Days Inn Ogallala
Days Inn Ogallala
#4 of 8 in Ogallala

Been to Holiday Inn Express Ogallala? Share your experiences!