“The new menu - Overpriced”
Review of Golden Spur

Golden Spur
Ranked #21 of 35 Restaurants in Ogallala
Cuisines: American
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The new menu - Overpriced”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have been staying at the Best Western Stagecoach Inn @ Ogallala, Nebraska for many years during my annual trips out to the Nebraska panhandle & Lake McConaughy.

I have been eating the the Golden Spur for years during my trips to Ogalala. Historically, I have been very pleased with the food & service at the Golden Spur. However, during my most recent visit - June 18, 2012 - I was disappointed for two reasons. The new menu selections & the prices on the new menu.

* Apparently the new menu had just been released during my most recent visit - June 2012.

* The prices on the new menu reflect a HUGE price increase - along with fewer selections.

* The prices are way out of line for the area - the new prices reflect " big city " prices rather than the more typical prices found out in rural western Nebraska.

* In the past, there were usually several steak special at moderate prices - $ 10.00 - $ 15.00 price range. No more - all of the steak ( and most of the other selections are now closer to $ 22.00 - $ 25.00 per selection ) -- again, a HUGE price increase, along with fewer selections.

* During my last visit, I also noticed more discontent among the wait staff -- apparently in part due to the new menu & price increases. I also noticed far fewer customers than had been the case in the past ( I suspect due to the HUGE prices increases ). I understand that food prices have risen recently, but not to the extent that the new menu reflects.

Overall - the food is excellent, the service ( historically has been very good ) but, the stiff price increases will, most likely, cause me to find another restaurant in Ogallala during my next visit.

Recommendation - lower the prices, offer more " steak specials " & more selections.

• Visited June 2012