“Union Pacific's Bailey Yard Visitor Center”

Union Pacific Railroad Bailey Yard
Wichita
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Union Pacific's Bailey Yard Visitor Center”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

I've just been to see the Bailey Yard via Union Pacific's new (8) story visitor center & it was fantastic. Being the super train buff that I am, just to be (8) stories up & watching two "hump" yards & seeing up to (15) locomotives lashed together heading for their check-up I wished I'd had a super wide camera lens. The building is first class & I would recomend a small detour off I-80 for a visit. I know the center is new but I would like to see some signs pointing out the direction while in North Platte.

2 Thank trainbuffWichita

Eau claire WI
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2006

We are BIG railroad/train buffs so we were looking forward to see the biggest UP railroad yard! What a let down it was when I actually saw it!! There are no signs with directions on how to get there .... you drive down a dirt path to get there .... and then there is just a falling down wooden platform to stand on and see only a small (and I mean small) area of the yard. I drove for miles and miles to see this place and it sure wasnt what I had expected. Would I recommend it .... maybe not if you are far away!!

3 Thank SueWI
sasha11, North Platte Tourism at Union Pacific Railroad Bailey Yard, responded to this review, September 17, 2006
I know the observation deck is very disappointing! Imagine how we feel having to give visitors directions there! However, there is a better way to see the yard. Buffalo Bill Avenue has an overpass that goes directly over the yard. There is a pedestrian walkway on the west side of the overpass. This is an especially great view in the morning when the sun will be at your back as you look over the yard. If you want more clear directions on how to get there when you get to town, just e-mail me.