“A barn would be nicer”

Super 8 Norfolk
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Norfolk
“A barn would be nicer”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Room phone would not work. Hair everywhere . Bathroom. In bed. Floor. Sheets had not been changed. Aaa discount not given. Would never stay here again

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ainsworth, Nebraska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

I had to have surgery so my grandma booked a room here and asked for a room floor. When we got there for one it is located behind a vacant building and the apperence is horrible. I waited in the car while my grandma checked us in and some mexican came up and knocked on my window drunk. When we got there they gave us a upstairs room so my poor grandma had to walk up those, the stairs were full of dirt. There was a dirty towl on the floor the chair looked awful there was barley any light and there were hairs all over the towls. The sheets looked like they hadnt been changed and it looked horrible. We told them and they were very apologetic and cleaned the room but made an excuse that they hired new maides. It also was noisy from the migrant workers all night. Never staying here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 807Tina

Travelers are raving about these Norfolk hotels

norfolk ne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

My son& i stayed here for about 3 weeks&the staff was just like family,super friendly,&very helpful .If you are looking for a place to stay THIS IS THE BEST PLACE.

Room Tip: All room on 2th floor are great
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ernie234
Ponca City Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

My husband and I relocated to Norfolk for his work and stayed here for 7 weeks while finding and closing on our home. Hotel itself needs some updating, but rooms were always comfortable and clean, supplies were there and if you needed more all you had to do was ask. The staff were super friendly and very helpful with anything asked of them, from more towels, to where to go to find something in town. I would recomend this hotel to family, friends and would stay here again if needed to. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Ritzville, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

We ordered a non smoking room, but the room smelled of old cigarette smoke. The tub and shower unit was old and dirty looking. The worst part was there were several Spanish speaking men sitting outside the building smoking and visiting, all the time and this made my mother and I pretty nervous, no to mention how tacky it looked. If they worked there, I never saw them working in or around the building, they should do there socializing in the back of the building. The last day at 5:30am the fire alarm went off and the building was evacuated, the girl working the front desk seemed to have trouble keeping everyone outside the building, people were coming and going from the building the entire time the alarm was going on. When a police officer arrived he was able to get the people out and keep them out until after the alarm was cleared by the fire dept. We were planning on staying another night but after all of the above issues, we checked out and found another hotel to stay in for the remainder of our vacation.

Room Tip: Don't stay in this super 8, go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
NorfolkSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Norfolk, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
As General Manager I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review. Our success i dependent on the feedback we get from our loyal customers. I am sorry to hear that your experience with us was less than satisfactory. I just wanted to let you know that we are looking in to a contractor that will be repairing some of our tubs for us and we are hoping that will be something that can be done quickly. I do apologize for the fire alarm going off and having to evacuate the building but we do want to ensure everyone is safe. We do have a large migrant work crew staying here with us that work in fields during the day and then socialize at night. I do assure you it is safe here but I have asked them to be a little more discreet so as not to make our guests uncomfortable because that is not our intention nor their intention at all. Please let me know if there is anything that we may be able to do to make your stay more pleasant the next time you are coming through town.

Jessica Sherman
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

We came to the hotel at 2:30am after a long drive. We had a reservation and when we pulled up there was a large group of drunk mexican's outside making a lot of noise. When I made it into the hotel to check in, there was no desk clerk at the office. I had to dial zero on the house phone to be told that she would be there in a min. Took her over 10 min to get there. When I asked her about the large group outside she told me that they were migrant workers. She also told me that they weren't all mexicans.She was wrong. We made it to our room around 2:45am and the room had a bad odor to it. We were so tried from driving that at that point all we wanted to do was go to sleep. That lasted about 2 hours when the fire alarm went off in the hotel. Some was banging on our door and we were told that we had to go outside. We went out and moved our car to the front of the building to find a police car out front along with all the other guests that had been told to evacuate the building. Moments later the fire truck and ambulance showed up, to only be there about 10 minutes before we were told we could return to our room. It took us a little while to come back down because of that morning excitement and when we did just fall into a deep sleep to once again being woken by the maids banging at the door even though we had the do not disturb sign clearly displayed on the handle facing the hall.

The only upside to our experience was that I did complain enough that because of all the disruptions they did comp us another night.

The breakfast was totally below standards. She (the desk clerk) pulled a bucket that had the waffle mix already mixed up from the broom closet. Hell as far as I know it could have been in there for a week before she served it. The donuts were little chocolate ones that you get in a bag from dolly madison at walmart. Dry cereal, with no milk and a loaf of bread to make toast. She hadn't even turned the juice machine on as of yet. Of course after the ordeal with the fire alarm, the breakfast area looked like an immigration office offering free food stamps. No offense to the americans that utilize the food stamp program, at least your legal.

If you have the opportunity to pick a different hotel please do so. Otherwise you might want to sleep in your car in the worst part of town. You might be safer that way.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ghosthunter68305
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

We checked in for two nights and left the next day. We were there for a 20 year high school reunion from Arizona. Not sure how this place got four stars on here. But we had no other choice - everything else was booked.

The hallways smelled of smoke as if 100 people smoked there for the last year with no ventilation ever. Our room smelled very musty.

The toilet didn't flush, cause the lever was broken. I mean really? Is it that hard to replace it? My boyfriend thought I was crazy cause I told him I didn't how to flush THAT toilet.

We left to get an air freshener immediately after we checked in. So we can make the reunion on time. We left the window open all night. My throat started closing in and feeling raw minutes after we checked in. The blankets smelled like smoke even though we supposedly got a non-smoking room. We could not get a refund for the next night, so we just got on a plane a day early and left for Phoenix.

The AC in the room didn't work well. So we had the fan on high. Thank goodness I had ear plugs with me. Luckily, we only slept there for four hours and got the hell out of there.

Breakfast was included. But we did NOT dare to show up for it. No way we are trusting a place this dirty to make our food.

We asked for a queen bed, but got two full size ones. When we asked about it the girl says:"don't worry we didn't charge you extra for two bed." LOL What?

Room Tip: Don't even think about staying here.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
As the General Manager here I do apologize that your stay was less than perfect for you. I want to assure you that we have taken steps to make sure the rooms do not smell musty by purchasing a dehumidifier during the summer months. We have also started replacing the ac units in the rooms this summer so we have fully working units in your rooms. I want to also apologize for the front desk staff not being able to accommodate you for the queen room instead of the room with 2 double beds. We also are doing better maintenance checks in the rooms so everything from lighting and outlets to the bathroom plumbing is checked on a daily basis to ensure everything is working properly. I hope that you'll stay with us on your next visit so we'll have an opportunity to make this up to you.

Thank you for your feedback and business.
Jessica Sherman, General Manager