“Nice Place to stay”

Norfolk Country Inn
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Norfolk
“Nice Place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

Checkin: I booked via booking .com. I had the confirmation information but the hotel had no record of it. However, the front desk was able to accommodate. Nice recovery but it did take extra time. The rooms are clean and comfortable with microwave and refrigerator. The breakfast was fairly tasty with several choices. The waffles were not very good, however. They are not the typical make yourself variety. I suspect they are made (maybe from frozen stock) in the back kitchen and served in a hot platter. This makes them rubbery and plenty of syrup is necessary to swallow. They did have a cappuccino machine which was nice.

Room Tip: Ask for the executive king room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
NorfolkCountryInn, General Manager at Norfolk Country Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you for choosing Norfolk Country Inn during your travel. We are pleased that you enjoyed the time you spent with us and appreciate that you took time to post a review to Trip Advisor. I do apologize for the delay in your check in and am pleased that we were able to book you in upon your arrival. At times, the communication with the online booking companies does experience a glitch and we do our best to provide a great guest experience when that occurs. Again, thank you for your stay and for taking the time to provide your input.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sioux City, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed at this hotel since I had a wedding for my cousin and lived 2 hrs away. I went to check in and the lady tending the front desk was not very courteous and it took over 20 minutes just to get my room key. Never apologized and kept bouncing from one computer to another and there were several people behind me that already left. I understand about computers not working, but I believe she should of called her manager a lot sooner then she did and made me late for my wedding reception to attend and been a little more apologetic and courteous of the matter. When I got into my room for the night, it was clean, but had a very damp smell and feel. Felt very gross. They told me when I booked the room that breakfast was included, so I went down about 8:30 to get breakfast and all they had was a couple bananas and bread for toast, nothing really to choose from. the biscuits and gravy were gone and a lady standing there I asked if they were making more and she said NO and didn't explain to me that breakfast only goes till 9. I'm 7 1/2 weeks pregnant and not a thing to tell a pregnant girl that there is no food. I've never been to a hotel that it's only 9, that's TERRIBLE. Why wouldn't you take care of your guest? There are lots of people that travel a distance, you should take care of them. There were several people that came a little before 9 to get breakfast and left with nothing. I called the manager and left a message for her to call me back over a week ago and she never yet till this date returned my phone call. I'm expected to treat people with great customer service at my work and just couldn't believe how POORLY I was treated. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. TERRIBLE

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Deb M
NorfolkCountryInn, General Manager at Norfolk Country Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Deb M.
Thank you for sharing your feedback about Norfolk Country Inn. First of all, I apologize for the lack of response to your phone message. However, attempts were made to return your message immediately at the number left. The calls went straight to a fast busy signal. Since those initial attempts the General Manager has been out of the office due to the holiday, meetings and illness.

We value providing a positive customer experience for our guests. The attendant that worked the evening that you checked in is, in fact, no longer with our company due to her inability to handle the high stress of multiple arrivals. We value our guests time and we do not maintain employment for staff that cannot provide that positive experience.

Our continental breakfast is advertised as being available from 6 a.m. - 9 a.m. in all of our advertising and in promotional items located in the room. The food provided for continental breakfast is prepared based on averages for the occupancy level. The law of averages does allow for some error, unfortunately, and those arriving towards the end of the time period may not have a full selection. When full, our continental offers one or two hot items, fruit, homemade cinnamon rolls, muffins, yogurt, cold cereal options, toast, yogurt, and homemade banana bread among other items. We do, however, have a full service restaurant on site that offers daily breakfast specials that are very reasonable for those in a condition that are wanting a larger offering of items.

We are a hotel with outside entrances. Nebraska was experiencing very high humidity for the dates that you were a guest here. The high humidity does lead, at times, to a feeling of dampness.

I apologize that your stay was not the perfect guest experience that we strive to provide. We are certain that if you should give us another chance if you are ever again through our community that you will have a much more pleasurable experience.

Travelers are raving about these Norfolk hotels

Lincoln, Nebraska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

Do not book this hotel online. I made a reservation at the hotel website a month prior to my planned stay. I booked two rooms and had two confirmation emails. Two days prior to my stay I called to confirm and tried to book a third room only to find out that one of my origional rooms had been cancelled. I also realized my planned stay information had been given verbally over the phone to a distant family member of mine. After speeking with Mandy over the phone i was so discusted with the poor level of customer service, the breech of privacy, and downgrade of room reserved I decided not to stay at this hotel.

I did drive by the Hotel and it does look like a dump from the outside.

Room Tip: Please save your self the headach and call the Hotel Desk to reserve a room prior to your stay
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank CK2001
Dear CK2001
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay at Norfolk Country Inn. I apologize that you were faced with the issues that you have written about. About the time of your scheduled stay, we did experience a glitch in our system in which some hotel reservations were lost. In working with our technical support provider, we believed we had recaptured all lost reservations, but we are finding that a handful were not recaptured. I am making an assumption that your one room was in that small group. This doesn't make your experience any more pleasant, but I am hoping that it helps you to feel comfortable that it was not an intentional mistake by our staff. We have also had many instances with online booking engines lately in that they are not honoring our notifications of being sold out and continue to sell rooms even though we have requested that our bookings be shut off for specified time periods. In my personal travels, I have always had difficulties with online booking engines and much prefer to call the hotel directly.

The portion of your experience that I do find inexcusable is the fact that our staff apparently gave out your personal travel information. This is a direct violation of our employment policy and if I were aware of the staff person that committed this breach would not be employed here any longer. I am mortified that one of our staff would violate your trust in us in this manner and sincerely apologize for this happening.

In regards to your drive-by, I am sure that if you had stopped to visit you would not label our hotel as a "dump". We have been a fixture in the Norfolk community since 1965 and as such we are an older building. We are also the only hotel with outside entrances to our rooms. We are in the midst of a multi-phase remodel and as such have completed the lobby and continental breakfast area as well as updated the south wing of rooms. Our rooms are located in 3 separate wings enclosing a beautiful courtyard area with an outdoor swimming pool and deck/patio area. Many of our guest comment that they love to spend time in our outdoor area as so many hotels these days are completely enclosed. In addition, we have a full service restaurant and lounge area featuring some of the area's favorite salads and sandwiches as well as Certified Angus Beef steaks, burgers and prime rib.

I certainly hope that you will give the Norfolk Country Inn a try on your next visit to our community. We strive to provide a high level of friendly, down-home customer service and look forward to the opportunity to provide you with a perfect guest experience.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

We Were InTown For A Softball Tournament And Got Put In a Smoking Room. When I Went Down To Talk To Mandy About The Smokey Room I Was In She Was More Than Willing To Upgrade My Children(Who are Asthmatic) And Myself To A New Beautiful Room. Thanks Mandy!

• Stayed June 2014
NorfolkCountryInn, General Manager at Norfolk Country Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for choosing Norfolk Country Inn for your travel needs! We appreciate that you chose to spend your travel time with us! Norfolk Country Inn prides itself on friendly customer service and I am pleased that Mandy was able to resolve the smoking issue for your and your children. I will pass your kind words on to her and we look forward to see you again!
Lincoln, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

From the outside, the hotel is not attractive. Our room, which was one of the executive suites, was very nice, with updated beds, furniture, and bathrooms. Wireless internet service was terrible. Most of the time it wouldn't work, and when it did, it was very slow. Cable channels were limited overall, although they did have a nice HBO selection. Breakfast area was clean and inviting. Breakfast was a minimalist continental style, with a few hot items, some cereal, yogurt, fruit, and some bakery items. Decent coffee. We booked at the last minute, and this inn was one of the few options left. Price was expensive, $90 for a standard room, but we luckily got upgraded to an executive suite because there were no standard rooms left. For the price we paid, we will definitely look for other options next time in Norfolk.

Room Tip: Executive suites are quite nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank jjsmooth11
First, we would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property. Norfolk Country Inn prides itself on friendly customer service and cleanliness. Our hotel was originally built in the 1960's and has been a fixture in our community since that time. As such, we are in the process of a multiphase remodel with one wing of hotel rooms, the lobby and dining area being completed. As you mentioned, one of our amenities for our guests is the Free Continental Breakfast including several cold options along with a daily selection of a hot item. Many hotels do not offer hot selections with a Continental Breakfast. Our local cable television company (CableOne) has chosen to undergo an upgrade and to make some deletions in their channel offerings. Unfortunately, we are not able to control that issue. At times, we do experience issues with the technology of our wireless as all who use technology do. Our staff are trained to handle the issues and are more than willing to work with guests to address any internet issues that may arise. Again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We hope that next time you are through Norfolk, you will give us another opportunity to provide a quality stay.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

On the way to Norfolk I called three hotels to check on rates. I was very impressed with the friendliness of the front desk staff person who answered the phone. As a result we decided to stay at the hotel. When we checked in, I found out the name of the person who had answered the phone was Mandy. Kudos to her!

Jeanne and Jim

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
NorfolkCountryInn, General Manager at Norfolk Country Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thank you for choosing Norfolk Country Inn! We are delighted that you chose to spend your travel time with us and look forward to seeing you again! We will share your note with Mandy and extend our thanks to her for taking such great care of our guests!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I have stayed before but after the last couple reviews I was unsure about staying again. I honestly am glad that I did. The service is amazing!!! That is key when staying somewhere I like to feel at home and that's just what they did! The rooms were very clean and comfortable!! The restaurant was great they staff there is amazing as well. The exterior is a little old but it looks good. I think it gives and old rustic look that is hard to find. Overall I would say that this is the best place to stay some of these reviews are very misleading. I think that these comments are very informative but to get the real feel of the hotel you would need to experience it for yourself you might just love it like I do!!! Sorry I doubted this place!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing to stay at Norfolk Country Inn! We are delighted that you chose to spend your travel time with us and look forward to seeing you again soon!