“Absolute Gem”

Norfolk Lodge & Suites Ascend Collection
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed July 6, 2012

What a pleasant surprise! What a great room!! What a great bed & linens! Now here's what really WOWed me: the absolute best ORGANIC coffee EVER. The downfall, the 5 guests that were standing by the brewing pot waiting for this delicious beverage with empty cups because the breakfast attendant didn't have a watchful eye on it and let it run dry. If we are ever in Norfolk, NE again, we are definitely staying here!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed May 22, 2012

This hotel is operated with a passion for service. It is connected to the Divots convention center, has a restaurant, a bar, volleyball courts, mini golf, and more. The rooms are well appointed; even the standard rooms will almost feel like a suite because they all have a refrigerator and counter/sink. I almost didn't rate as five stars because the one area that has terrible service is the restaurant/bar. Our meal took an hour and a half to arrive and made us extremely late for a meeting. To add insult there was a mandatory 18% gratuity for the terrible service. The owner, Donna, who's name proudly appears on a sign behind the front desk, takes great pride in her property. Even the woodwork and lighting in the hallways are top notch. If you will be in Norfolk definitely stay here but absolutely stay away from the restaurant unless you don't need to be anywhere and have time to kill. With that being said, the high quality of everything else bumps my rating back to five stars.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a balcony overlooking the pool. This can be great for some and noisy for others.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This is probably a strange review since I actually did not stay at this hotel due to a problem with my reservation, but the manager did such a good job of making a problem into an opportunity - that I had to post anyway.
I was to stay at this hotel due to a conference. When I got there at 5:00 pm, my reservation had been deleted in error. Since the hotel was totally booked, the manager took it upon himself to personally make phone calls to find me a room in the area. I was then "comped" very well for my troubles. (As a matter of fact, I argued that he was doing too much for me).
In my case the hotel went above & beyond my expectations making me comfortable - and I didn't even stay there, BUT you can bet I will next time.
And If this hotel does this for someone who doesn't stay there, I can only imagine guests would get royal treatment! Thank you to the Manager of Norfolk Lodge & Suites!! See you next time I'm in Norfolk!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Rooms are large with nice refrigerator. Our room was right off the pool which was great. The complimentary breakfast was quite good and they did a nice job of keeping it stocked. Staff was very polite. Will stay there again definitely!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I stayed at the lodge for roughly 4 months & loved it. The staff was great & the rooms were clean. This is one of my top 5 hotels that I would go out of my way to stay at again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Overall the hotel is rather amazing and not what you would expect to find in a small town. The lobby and atrium were beautiful, with very high wood ceilings. We had a poolside room which was very convenient. I will say that if you are there to rest you will probably want a room on the other side of the hotel as it was rather loud. To their credit the noise ended promptly as closing time. It was nice that the pool was open an additional hour for adults only. I would suggest that they not allow children to use the pool quite so early in the morning though. The hot tub jets had great pressure and the pool was nice and warm. They even had a lift chair for handicapped people to use, which I thought was impressive. Unfortunately the pool was rather crowded during peak hours and it is a shame that some people have no manners.
The hot breakfast was very good and there was plenty of seating. Staff was very friendly. We arrived too late for dinner, but the menu at the restaurant looked to be high quality.
Our room was very nice and had a nice kitchenette with granite countertop. The bathroom was good sized and also had a granite countertop and curved shower curtain. The decor of the room was very tasteful. There was complementary bottled water and real glasses and coffee mugs. Robes were also provided.
My only complaint and reason for not giving this property 5 stars is that the mattresses were VERY hard and uncomfortable. I like a firm bed, but these were like sleeping on concrete. It was impossible to get comfortable, and therefore, we did not get a good night's sleep. Everything else about the property was great.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We visit family in Nebraska every year. There are not too many nice hotel choices in the smaller towns so we drive the 30 miles to stay at the Norfolk Lodge & Suites. We used to stay at the Holiday Inn Express, which is nice enough, but one year when it was full we discovered the Norfolk Lodge and have been staying there ever since.
From the moment you pull up to the hotel you feel as if you are arriving at grand vacation lodge.
The lobby and breakfast area are very comfortable with plenty of seating throughout. A delicious hot breakfast buffet is included with your stay. Each day they offer mini, pre-made omelets, bacon, biscuits and gravy, a waffle station, pastries, yogurt, fruit, cereal, coffee, juice and milk.
There are several room types available from Kings to two Queens and two room suites. Several of the suites have a door to an outside balcony so we try to book the ones that overlook the miniature golf course when they are available. Each room has a nice hospitality counter with a sink, coffee maker, fridge and microwave.
The pool is AMAZING! It is large and there are plenty of comfy tables and chairs to sit at. We often order pizzas or dinner from the hotel bar/restaurant and eat around the pool. There is also a nice size hot tub in the pool area. There are rooms poolside on the same level as the pool and rooms with interior balconies overlooking the pool. We specifically ask NOT to be in a room pool side but that is something that, I suppose, you could request if you want.
The hotel is attached to a banquet hall and there is a formal restaurant as well as a bar available for dinning. The staff and management, for the most part, is super friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If you don't want to be overlooking the indoor pool, say so in your reservation. Request a room...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family