“Not what we expected (and we had high expectations)”

Lied Lodge & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Nebraska City
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Went for 3 nights over Thanksgiving. Why they only got an average rating: 1) the first fire alarm (4 PM, grabbed coats and evacuated, false alarm), 2) the second fire alarm (2 AM, false alarm, front desk told me it was probably a false alarm but they would sound the alarm again if it was a real fire ... no, really), 3) the third fire alarm (after 2 AM but before dawn, I was bleary eyed - another false alarm), 4) the fourth fire alarm (6:57 AM the next day - no sleeping in for us - yet another false alarm), 5) nice pool/sauna/hot tub but the room was just okay (smallish overall and mildew in bathroom). Ate twice at the Timber Dining room. Thanksgiving buffet was good overall but the turkey was dry and the rest of the entree line was average (kudos for the appetizer/salads/desserts tho). Friday buffet was good but one piece of carrot cake completely dried out. Asked for compensation for lost sleep, got a paltry $50 discount for one night ($119 a night rate). Came home to catch up on our sleep.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms have sloping ceilings that run down to ~5 feet at the window. Easy to hit your head...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
LiedLodgeMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Lied Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We also have very high expectations for all our guests and are dissapointed when someone has a less than stellar stay. We do have sensative fire alarms as we take the safety of our guests very seriously. Unfortunately the actions of a few resulted in a negative impact. Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope your next stay is as restful and peaceful as expected.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I went to the Bar and lounge area and had the best drinks, service, and appetisers I ever had.
And I just moved here from Chicago!

So impressed we are booking all our company meetings and Christmas Party there.

Try the steak bit appetizer for sure.

Mark
Crown Line Plastics.

Room Tip: I only ate there but the place is spotless..rooms must be too!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Markd1651702
LiedLodgeMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Lied Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thank you for your review and the kind words. I am delighted to hear that you are coming here for your company's Christmas party. I am equally delighted to hear you had such good service and that you enjoyed the drinks and appetizers in the lounge. We look forward to hosting your company's party.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I spent our anniversary weekend here. The entrance to the lodge is awesome!! This feeling continued as we walked the hallway to our room, and culminated when we entered our room. They have gone to great measures to make you feel the beauty of nature, and have succeeded. The food was outstanding - we recommend the buffets whenever they are available. All the staff was extremely helpful and very friendly. I did the exercise room and the pool venue each day and both were extremely clean. The grounds were striking with all the trees in full fall foliage and they have a fun hiking path that connects you to Arbor Lodge. The perfect place for a weekend getaway or a perfect venue for a business conference.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have cathedral ceilings that are awesome!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tamarala
LiedLodgeMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Lied Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am glad you chose us to spend your anniversary with. I'm equally delighted you had such a wonderful time. I hope you will stay with us again. Happy anniversary!

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I just returned from a one night stay at the Lied Lodge, and I wish I could've stayed longer. I have honestly never had a better night sleep at a hotel. It was so peaceful and comfortable. My room was clean and the staff was very accommodating. I had three meals at the restaurant inside of the hotel. The food was delicious!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank prizeseeker
LiedLodgeMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Lied Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am glad to know your stay was comfortable and resting. I am sorry you couldn't stay longer, but I am hopeful that you will come back again shortly. We will be happy to have you stay again.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We attended a wedding of a friend's son here, and it was perfect! The barn was beautiful (where the reception was held) and the food was delicious. Rooms are very nice and not overpriced. We live in MO and will return here for weekend getaways. It's very relaxing, and the grounds are lovely. You could easily stay busy here for a few days. We had a wonderful breakfast in the restaurant the next morning.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MelBay1

Thank you for telling us about your experience. I am glad you were able to enjoy the grounds and the delicious food at the barns. It is thrilling to hear that you plan on coming back for some get-aways. We look forward to having you come again.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I just recently had our annual get away to Lied Lodge and we have never had any problem with it. The place is beautiful in a Rustic way.From the Lobby to the rooms it is wonderful. The view from the back of Arbor Day Farms is wonderful. The restaurant is outstanding.The staff is always helpful. I have never been disapointed. This place is a little bit of Heaven on Earth.

Room Tip: Get the Orchard view if you can.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
LiedLodgeMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Lied Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thank you for your comment. I am so glad to hear that you chose us for your annual stay. We are also glad to hear that you have always enjoyed it. Thank you for your comment about our friendly staff since we do try to provide outstanding customer service. I am hopeful to see you come many more times.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

As a person who loves going to lodge style resorts it is hard to find such an escape in the Midwest, however in Nebraska City near Arbor Day farms such a place does exist! This beautiful resort pays homage to the beauty of trees in its architecture through use of huge tree beams and wood throughout complimented by huge windows that face the hazelnut orchard behind the property which makes way to other forest like land. We stayed during the Apple Jack festival and while the hotel was full it still felt like a quiet escape for us.
The property is equipped with a beautiful pool and spa area as well as a lovely great room with fireplace, balcony, and dining room that serves all meals. The lodge is within walking distance to the Arbor Day Farms Tree Experience as well as the Country Store. Wine tastings are offered in the lobby as well as a morning coffee bar that is complementary and perfect for taking out to the patio.
Our room was very spacious with a little sitting area and King Bed. The lodge style was more subtle in the rooms and I would have liked to have the lodge feeling and celebration of the trees more consistent throughout, but our room was reasonable for the price.
This hotel has many different options for romantic weekend get a ways, business facilities, and family fun that really makes it a great weekend for anyone. There are many special get a way packages for each season which will continue to keep the experience fresh and exciting. I know that we will be back as it is the closest lodge to us that makes us feel like we are not in the Midwest.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katie L
LiedLodgeMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Lied Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I am so glad you enjoy it here. It is thrilling to hear that you will be back to enjoy the lodge setting we have to offer. It sounds like you were able to enjoy a lot of activities we have to offer. I'm glad even though AppleJack was a crazy busy time for us that you were still able to enjoy a quiet time here. We will look forward to having you stay with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nebraska City
#3 of 3 in Nebraska City
Economy Inn
Economy Inn
#3 of 4 in Nebraska City

Been to Lied Lodge & Conference Center? Share your experiences!