“Great BBQ in an unexpected place”

Parker's Smokehouse
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Gainesville, FL
“Great BBQ in an unexpected place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I are from Tennessee originally and are quite the BBQ connoissuers, so we were a bit doubtful that some folks in Nebraska could pull off pulled pork in such a way as to make us like it. These guys did, though, and if we're ever out this way again, we'll give them a repeat visit. If you go, don't miss the apple cobbler. It's more of a "crumble," but it's fantastic, too!

• Visited March 2013

Lincoln, Nebraska
“Good food an good BBQ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have had a lt of good feed at Parker's it is a great asset to our town . it is always full of happy people eating an visiting with each other. The price is good and the place is always clean they also play blues music in the back ground.

• Visited February 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
“Good place for NE City BBQ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

We have eaten here a couple of times while visiting NE City and staying at Lied Lodge. The food is consistently good. It is not the best BBQ on the world, but it is better than many others we have had. Our most recent visit was good, but we did notice a couple of things...

I had ordered sweet potato fries ($1 extra) and 2 naked ribs to go with my dinner. They brought me steak fries, and no ribs. Asked for the sweet potato fries hoping that would spur our server's memory, but it didn't. Oh well, my catfish strip dinner was very good otherwise. Would have liked the ribs though.

One of the others in our party had the ribs dinner and did enjoy them, but said they were a "lower" rib. He was a little bummed, but ate them all! We also had a pulled pork sandwich eaten in our group. Excellent sandwich!

Not our best experience here, but we would definitely come back. The food is good at a decent price. You won't leave hungry.

Papillion, Nebraska
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Great place! The various sauces are great, but the meats come without the sauce so you can choose your own! The smoked flavor didn't need a sauce for me, but my husband used their original. Sides were great - with some excellent sweet potato fries! We will be back again when in Nebraska City!

Nebraska City, Nebraska
“Gets my vote for Nebraska City's #1”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

As Robin Williams warns Aladdin, "do not be fooled by its commonplace appearance." Parker's is located in a non-descript "strip mall" (that term is a stretch) in the midst of downtown Nebraska City. Several locals had encouraged us to try Parker's and after spending 5 days in Nebraska City, we had exhausted almost every epicurean option within a 20 mile radius!

We had a delightful meal at Parker's. Maddy, our server, was witty and accommodating. When we had a miscommunication about my order, he addressed it with alacrity. The platter portion was huge (in my estimation) and my fiance and easily split it. I am very selective about my french fries: if I'm going to pay my debt with extra hours of cardio, I want nirvana! These fries were some of the best I've tasted; in fact, I did not feel compelled to use any of the sauces as an accent.

The pulled pork was tender and I found the seasoning just right- not overpowering but not absent either. Unlike many BBQ places, Parker's avoids the issue of the meat sometimes becoming oily or tough.

We enjoyed visit #1 so much, we went back. Although the food was equally good, the service wasn't as stellar. The restaurant had a total of 7 customers (and our party comprised 3 of the 7). We literally waved our hands in the air and the servers behind the bar were so busy chatting and blatantly texting and i-phoning, we had to go over to them to gain their attention. I understand things can get boring during slow periods, but how about keeping the customers who are there happy?

Needless to say, refills were difficult to come by and we even had to track them down for our bill. Visit #2 wouldn't deter me from returning, but I would suggest to management they may want to review some customer service basics with the staff. Despite today's expectations that a certain tip % is automatic, customer discretion still exists and part of dining out is wanting to experience someone waiting on you and provide some attention to detail.

Visited December 2012