“Excellent!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Parker's Smokehouse

Parker's Smokehouse
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Papillion, Nebraska
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Great place! The various sauces are great, but the meats come without the sauce so you can choose your own! The smoked flavor didn't need a sauce for me, but my husband used their original. Sides were great - with some excellent sweet potato fries! We will be back again when in Nebraska City!

Nebraska City, Nebraska
“Gets my vote for Nebraska City's #1”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

As Robin Williams warns Aladdin, "do not be fooled by its commonplace appearance." Parker's is located in a non-descript "strip mall" (that term is a stretch) in the midst of downtown Nebraska City. Several locals had encouraged us to try Parker's and after spending 5 days in Nebraska City, we had exhausted almost every epicurean option within a 20 mile radius!

We had a delightful meal at Parker's. Maddy, our server, was witty and accommodating. When we had a miscommunication about my order, he addressed it with alacrity. The platter portion was huge (in my estimation) and my fiance and easily split it. I am very selective about my french fries: if I'm going to pay my debt with extra hours of cardio, I want nirvana! These fries were some of the best I've tasted; in fact, I did not feel compelled to use any of the sauces as an accent.

The pulled pork was tender and I found the seasoning just right- not overpowering but not absent either. Unlike many BBQ places, Parker's avoids the issue of the meat sometimes becoming oily or tough.

We enjoyed visit #1 so much, we went back. Although the food was equally good, the service wasn't as stellar. The restaurant had a total of 7 customers (and our party comprised 3 of the 7). We literally waved our hands in the air and the servers behind the bar were so busy chatting and blatantly texting and i-phoning, we had to go over to them to gain their attention. I understand things can get boring during slow periods, but how about keeping the customers who are there happy?

Needless to say, refills were difficult to come by and we even had to track them down for our bill. Visit #2 wouldn't deter me from returning, but I would suggest to management they may want to review some customer service basics with the staff. Despite today's expectations that a certain tip % is automatic, customer discretion still exists and part of dining out is wanting to experience someone waiting on you and provide some attention to detail.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank wendy S
Omaha Area
“25 minute wait for a sandwich”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We came here recommended by a friend, and were seated immediately and given a menu and a demonstration of the various BBQ sauces and my wife and I both ordered BBQ sandwiches and potato salad. That is when the good service ended as we waited 25 minutes for that order to arrive.

BBQ restaurants are known for quick service because many of the items are cooked in advance, with slow cooking meats etc - and while there were three waitresses on at once, there were only six other tables with people at them so it was not busy at all. The food was tasty when it arrived although the portions were also small - they used a small bun for the meat and a tiny cup for the potato salad. We were not impressed at all. Gave a good tip because we always look for ways to bless wait staff in a tight economy even when they don't do well in - but that doesn't mean we will return.

• Visited October 2012
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BBQ YUM”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Oh, Yummy!!!!! Excellent smoked meats and sides, at a very reasonable price!!!! We will return! The food was too good to express.

Visited September 2012
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Great BBQ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

This review is for the restaurant located in Nebraska City, NE. Their website lists others.

The dining room has a tin ceiling that was made to look old and cleaned up. The furniture is heavy wood and intended to take a beating from two fisted eaters of all ages, shapes, and varieties. The diners look like faithful repeat customers who enjoy really good BBQ as part of their steady diet.

Newcomers are introduced to the restaurant's sauces and given a small container of steak fries with which to taste the sauces. The waiter squeezes out a strip of each sauce on a small dish to taste the fries and gives and explanation of each: honey mustard, Texas (vinegar), original, hot and spicy, and a monthly special sauce which when I visited was a hot version of the honey mustard.

The steak fries were perfect: crunchy outside and soft inside.

There was ado about nothing concerning the amount of capsaicin in their hottest sauce, but as one who has tasted a Naga Bhut Jolokia pepper, I can say that it was mild in the extreme and monotonous.

I had a three meat platter: pulled pork, chicken, and catfish. They were all excellent. I didn't use any of the sauces because they were much too sweet for me and enjoyed the meats as they were. I didn't feel deprived at all and thoroughly enjoyed my meal.

Will I return? Yes. Will I recommend it? Yes.

• Visited September 2012