“Fun Visit”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fun Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My family recently stopped at Harold Warp's Pioneer Village in October, 2013. I visited this place over 35 years ago, and it is still about the same. Which makes it unique and adds to the mystic of the museum. It is a place to see old stuff, so the fact that it does not look modern is very fitting. Everything you would want to see is here, autos, boats, planes, building, gadgets, and just plain old stuff. Places like this are a rarity in today's society. If you get the chance to stop in and you enjoy looking at things from the past, this place is for you. But if you are speeding down the interstate with your GPS guiding you, a cell phone in your ear, and expecting something of today's world (modern buildings and facilities); then you should just keep on driving.

2 Thank nelsondarrin

Lee's Summit, Missouri
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 208 helpful votes
“Bucket list”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was a bucket list stop for a member of our party. I'll admit, this place is as old as I am. Harold Warp started out with a great plan. We loved the original buildings. The history was great. The story behind his boats. The airplanes, the airplane engines, the helicopter, the boat motors. The circle of buildings are a must see. The old locomotive needs some help. You will see how folks used to live and things evolved over the years. The one room school house, the hobbies for man, the building with the china dishes. The buildings in back became quantity over quality. A couple of car buildings could really use some changes. I would love to go back and donate my time to work on the snowmobile and motorcycle displays. Both are in need of better staging to make them easier to view and to take pictures. I really hope the Pioneer Village gets some outside support. This is history that we should not let go away. Take the time and get off the interstate to take a look. Take in the history. Who knows, you just find me creating a display. It is retired
military friendly. In cooler weather, be sure to take a jacket and maybe gloves.

Louisburg, Kansas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wonderful antiques, Needs upkeep”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

It is apparent that Mr. Warp put his heart, soul and money into creating such a special place. There is more than we could absorb in the time we spent there and I feel privileged to see how pioneers lived and created what they did. We are glad we visited and are still talking about it. With that said, somebody needs to take an interest in cleaning and fixing it up. I agree with the other comments and it is sad that future generations either won't want to go or maybe not be able to see such a collection in one place. After touring the museum we were not interested in staying at the motel. I would give the collection a 5+ and the site a 2 because it is run down.

4 Thank RetiredPeople2013
Shawnee, Kansas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Lots of stuff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Yup, time and money spent on upkeep would be a benefit, but we enjoyed the collection and learned some history. Bad parts were the dust on the displays and general maintenance. Also many of the type-written letters and signs were faded and difficult to read. Good part was the amazing amount of stuff. Lots of cars, furnishings from 60's and earlier, history associated with the pioneer buildings. We'll probably stop again and reverse our tour, starting at the other end. Our 10 yr old got tired of the museum stuff early, which was expected. For a place to stay when here, we would recommend one of the many options in Kearney.

1 Thank G M
New Braunfels, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“It's getting old, but you can do it if you want to.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had hope for this place, but to be truthful, I’m afraid the “tired and worn-down” comments are accurate. It needs a coat of paint, a good dusting and how about updating signage and displays a little. The poster board is warping and the wigs are falling off the manikins in the displays—does anybody here care? I stayed in the motel as well. Rooms are roomy and WiFi works OK, fixtures are old but functional. I’d recommend staying in the 2-story building. The carpet though is the drawback. Please replace the carpet. Now! I took a walk out back and the campground looks very nice/convenient though—might be a better option if that is what you like. I also thought the price for the museum was a little steep at $14. Restaurant is still closed. But all that said. If you like old cars, tractors, and farm machinery stored in barns then this could still be a place for you. If you like to take a peaceful, shady stroll around a replica of a pioneer village town square then take a look here. The town of Minden is also a nice place to sit on a bench in the actual town square near the courthouse. These all happen to work for me so I’m willing to cut this place a little slack and try to find the kitsch instead of the worn out. So if you want to have a pleasant relationship with this place then please know you will have to do most of the work. It can be done, but don’t come here with the wrong attitude and an unwillingness to work at it just a little bit.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Hwy41

Been to Pioneer Village? Share your experiences!