“Wonderful antiques, Needs upkeep”
Review of Pioneer Village

Pioneer Village
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Minden
Louisburg, Kansas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wonderful antiques, Needs upkeep”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

It is apparent that Mr. Warp put his heart, soul and money into creating such a special place. There is more than we could absorb in the time we spent there and I feel privileged to see how pioneers lived and created what they did. We are glad we visited and are still talking about it. With that said, somebody needs to take an interest in cleaning and fixing it up. I agree with the other comments and it is sad that future generations either won't want to go or maybe not be able to see such a collection in one place. After touring the museum we were not interested in staying at the motel. I would give the collection a 5+ and the site a 2 because it is run down.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank RetiredPeople2013

Shawnee, Kansas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Lots of stuff”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Yup, time and money spent on upkeep would be a benefit, but we enjoyed the collection and learned some history. Bad parts were the dust on the displays and general maintenance. Also many of the type-written letters and signs were faded and difficult to read. Good part was the amazing amount of stuff. Lots of cars, furnishings from 60's and earlier, history associated with the pioneer buildings. We'll probably stop again and reverse our tour, starting at the other end. Our 10 yr old got tired of the museum stuff early, which was expected. For a place to stay when here, we would recommend one of the many options in Kearney.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank G M
New Braunfels, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“It's getting old, but you can do it if you want to.”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had hope for this place, but to be truthful, I’m afraid the “tired and worn-down” comments are accurate. It needs a coat of paint, a good dusting and how about updating signage and displays a little. The poster board is warping and the wigs are falling off the manikins in the displays—does anybody here care? I stayed in the motel as well. Rooms are roomy and WiFi works OK, fixtures are old but functional. I’d recommend staying in the 2-story building. The carpet though is the drawback. Please replace the carpet. Now! I took a walk out back and the campground looks very nice/convenient though—might be a better option if that is what you like. I also thought the price for the museum was a little steep at $14. Restaurant is still closed. But all that said. If you like old cars, tractors, and farm machinery stored in barns then this could still be a place for you. If you like to take a peaceful, shady stroll around a replica of a pioneer village town square then take a look here. The town of Minden is also a nice place to sit on a bench in the actual town square near the courthouse. These all happen to work for me so I’m willing to cut this place a little slack and try to find the kitsch instead of the worn out. So if you want to have a pleasant relationship with this place then please know you will have to do most of the work. It can be done, but don’t come here with the wrong attitude and an unwillingness to work at it just a little bit.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Hwy41
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Pioneer Village a Disgrace”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I visited Pioneer Village on advise of my wife who had gone there as a young child. It was run down and dirty. The old cars were in terrrible condition and not well cared for. The buildings they are in are falling down and have more deferred maintenance than one could imagine. This place sholud be closed down and the items in it should be given to organizations and museums that would appreciate and care for these items. The way they are not being cared for now will assure that they will not be there much longer.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank rmccr
Independence, Missouri
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“A Great Look Back”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

If you grew up on a farm or love old cars, this place is a must visit. It had been at least 25 years since we had been here and many items have been added since then. I enjoyed the period kitchens, living rooms and bedrooms. It was fun to see the things you remember your family having. They trace the history of so many inventions. You really need to pull off I-80 and check it out.

Visited September 2013

Been to Pioneer Village? Share your experiences!