“In need of a lift” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in McCook
Virginia Beach
“In need of a lift”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed a total of 8 days. Overall we were satisfied with our stay. One major complaint, however - there should be a elevator!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Alicia-12619, Manager at Days Inn McCook, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your review. I apologize for not having an elevator and do understand this can be an inconvenience for some guests. I am glad your overall experience was good and we look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Kearney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

I had the worst ever time here. We were staying at this place to visit family. First bad thing... 6pm and room was not ready. Second and most important, used my debit card for 1 NIGHT and high school dropout charged me for 2 nights. Called 5 days later and was told that the manager would call me back. No response, I called again a week later and was told by Casey??? that this happens all the time and she would call the manager at home. Casey finally called back and said it was all taken care of and I should not worr. I preceded to ask her about the fact that I could not use my card and it was their screw up and she told me I was rude and mean. Was told a manager would call me back and no one has called. On top of that the room was filthy. The sofa had white stains on it and the mattress was stained. You would actually have better accomadations at the local McDonalds in a booth. Stay far far away.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Courtney-12619, Manager at Days Inn McCook, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
I apologize for your unhappiness with our hotel. The reversal was handled in a fast and appropriate manner. Computer systems do glitch once in awhile and for the computer sake I do apologize. The company would not double charge a guest on purpose. KC was very kind and appropriate when assisting you and she also tried to handle the dispute of the overdraft as well if we did indeed cause this issue. I understand you refused to send documentation. Again I am sorry. However, name calling is very inappropriate. KC is not a moron and does not deserve to be called one. Again I apologize for any inconvenience this caused you and let us know if we can do anything to ever make you happy.
Management
Clovis, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Nice receptionist. But really obnoxious partyers in the parking lot and people hanging around the front and back doors that made us very uncomfortable. Breakfast was O.K. Really nasty huge stain down the side of the exposed mattress.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Alicia-12619, Manager at Days Inn McCook, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
I have to apologize for the guests that were hanging around the entrance areas to the building. I had spoken to them several times to keep away from the building or to go to their rooms. Again I am sorry and I hope this will not keep you from staying with us again. We do look forward to your return to this hotel location and I know your stay will be more confortable.
Frederick, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I had to come to McCook for a 4 day business trip which meant 3 nights in a hotel. They are in the middle of a remodel which there wasn't really any inconvenience as they were painting the outside. The inside is quaint -- kind of countryish looking--not modern or contemporary by any means. The girl working the front desk was friendly. We were assigned rooms on the second floor, but there's no elevator. It didn't bother me but my coworker had a HUGE bag (like really really big) and it was a task getting it up those steps. The room was clean. Furniture was typical..brass fixtures, basic laminate looking furniture. My curtains, too, had little holes in it I noticed when the sun came up. The mattresses were comfortable enough. Not great but definitely not bad. But if you're a pillow top type of person look elsewhere. I was satisfied with my sleep/bed. (Know, I use a sleep sack when in hotels, so I don't touch any sheets anyway). My lower rating was based on the bathroom. No, it wasn't disgusting or anything---just worn. The tub was stained on the floor and the chrome fixtures looked like it had lime buildup or waterspots that wouldn't go away. The tile floor grout was cracked and chipped away in places. The tub was clearly chipped in the past and fixed w/ epoxy or something. WHen I turned on the shower (from the outside of the tub to warm up) I got sprayed in the face from water spraying outside of the head. Turns out it wasn't tightened all the way. I was able to remedy that situation but didn't appreciate an unexpected cold spray to the face. The shower itself---well, the shower felt good. The floor of the tub did not. I don't know how to describe it other than spongy and hollow. I'm not sure if there is anything under the tub itself but I have to say there were a few times where that sinking feeling made me wonder if I was going to fall thru and give the ppl on the 1st floor a sight to see. Its just a very strange feeling and I'm not sure what the deal is with it. But, bathroom was overall clean. Note, if you use a sleepsack, and you want your bed made, make sure you remove it before you leave for the day. I came back with a note on my pillow from housekeeping saying they couldn't make the bed because they weren't allowed to touch my personal belongings. I'm fine with that but it was a surprise to walk in and see an unmade bed.

Someone made a comment about the AC. I agree it took a while to fully cool the room. But when it did its freezing! I woke up literally shivering at 230am. They turn the air of during the day so when you come back the room is warm and you have to start the recooling process again. Now, granted, this has been a hot week here so Im sure they don't want stuff working overtime.

I have what I"m assuming is a brand new flat screen TV as the Energy Guide sticker is still on it. I don't watch much TV so its not a big deal to me. If my husband were here, he'd be very excited.

I wasn't overly impressed with breakfast. I know beggars can't be choosers and the breakfast is preplanned by Days Inn....however, it was carb city. I don't want to sound like a health nut because I'm not. So, danishes, muffins, cereal, english muffins, waffles and juice/coffee/milk were your choices. I really hoped for yogurt and some fruit but I didn't see any yogurt or anything similar and the apples were kind of mushy.

If you are looking for a good breakfast, still carby but delicious, check out Sehferts. OMG the best donut I've ever ever eaten. Hands down.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side (facing Pepsi warehouse) are quiet. I can't comment on the front side of...