“Overnight stay”
Review of Days Inn McCook

Days Inn McCook
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in McCook
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Made reservations at this hotel for a one night stay, and, as in the past, was very satisfied. Room was clean, bathroom was clean, water pressure and temperature were good. Only complaint, which is minor, was the in-wall heater and AC didn't seem to work very good, but this seems to be a common problem with these units, and is not indicative of a problem at this hotel. Front desk clerk Sunday night was very cordial and friendly, and staff on Monday morning were very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 22, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We decided on the Days Inn, because the internet indicated that the other hotels in town were more expensive. We wanted to get to bed, get up early, & celebrate Easter in some church where we would (of course) not know a soul, because we were on the road over Easter weekend.
The lady at the front desk was extremely helpful. She knew that there were a few guests with small children in their rooms, so she suggested a room at the opposite end of the hotel from these families....not in response to a question, but as a suggestion. (I'm sure we looked pretty tired....and old.....after hours & hours on the road!) We were so appreciative, because we WERE extremely exhausted. She chatted in a most friendly way, and made us feel right at home before we ever brought our suitcases in.
We had to call the front desk later that evening, with a question about connecting to the internet, and she remembered me! She helped me with connecting, and then apologized for being so slow to answer my phone call.....she was taking a quick bathroom break. I wasn't offended by this conversation in this situation.....on the contrary, I was amazed that she remembered me, and that she was comfortable enough to share that personal information with me. In this circumstance, I felt like I'd made a girlfriend (instead of feeling like she was sharing something way too personal, like taking a bathroom break.)
Well, so......the room was clean, the beds were comfortable, the bedding clean and comfortable. We were completely satisfied with our accommodations.
As my husband caught up on the final moments of an important basketball game on TV, I drove through town to a bank with an ATM. On my way back to the Days Inn, I saw (for the 2nd time within a few moments) a city police car with flashing lights, but didn't give it much thought. I took the ATM cash back to the hotel room & waited for my husband.
After the important basketball game was over, my husband & I took a quick trip through town. We thought we'd check out the locations of the local churches, hoping that we could find our way quickly through town in the morning, in time to make church, not walking in late.
As we drove through the center of town.....flashing lights.....a police car??? We were driving circumspectly through the wide downtown Nebraska streets, so what could be the problem? We drove onto a side street & stopped....the police car behind us. I was SPEEDING!.
What???? How fast was I going? Well, the officer was willing to let me off with a warning, but if he had to tell me how fast I was going, he'd have to change that warning to a citation. Well, it's not that important, Sir! Thank you, Sir! He graciously gave me directions to the CHURCH I was looking for, and we very carefully drove off to the church address.
Turned out that the church we'd selected was surrounded with construction fencing, and it wasn't clear if the internet church times applied to Easter Sunday. By this time, we'd discerned (by our encounter with the city policeman) that possibly McCook wasn't hospitable to visitors, so we decided to continue on to an Evangelical Free Church in Holdrege, Nebraska, and avoid the friendly civil employees of McCook altogether.
Conclusion: Days Inn is a comfortable hotel, clean, and they will help you select a room that will be quiet if there are enthusiastic young children running the halls. Additional conclusion: drive really, really slow through downtown, even if it feels like you're dragging your feet. The city police will stop you, without sharing how fast you may have been going.

Room Tip: Ask about enthusiastic children staying in the hotel....they may gladly place you in a quieter spot...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is a very nice place and it is a great location in town but I think the price is just a little high and I was just there. The internet was slow and if I am paying 80.00 plus dollars a night I expect high speed to be part of deal. I probably wouldn't stay there again but just because of the price. This place was very clean, the people were really nice but on a travel budget it's out of my range.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here recently on our way home from Arizona, Room was clean and quiet and wifi connection was good, Staff was ok but not really friendly. Breakfast was ok but the milk for cereal was sour. not a great selection for breakfast. When told milk was sour they removed it apologized but did not bring more milk out. Breakfast area was clean.Staff was more interested in visiting with each other than anything else. Smiles are free.!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple