“Love the food & people, hate the smell you have with.”
Review of El Puerto

El Puerto
Ranked #5 of 23 Restaurants in McCook
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Hands down the BEST Mexican food in McCook!

A few things we love:

1. The steak fajita quesadilla is ridiculous! Plenty of steak strips for sure!

2. You could dip anything in their white cheese sauce & eat it.

3. They have a unique coating on their tilapia, never had anything like it, it's our youngest daughter's favorite.

4. The mild salsa is so good, I could literally eat it on pasta, lots of tomato & garlic!

5. My spouse loves the "Especial", a thinly sliced, generous portion of rib eye steak smothered in onions & tomatoes.

I wish they would offer the lunch menu 7 days a week because the supper portions are just too big!

Between my family & I we have probably tried 80-90% of the menu & never had a bad meal.

It's VERY clean. The service is very fast & friendly, the sodas are flavorful & the food is always hot.

The ONLY problem is the incredibly horrible smell you leave with on your clothes, hair, shoes, whatever you wore/took in there!

It doesn't matter if they are busy, or you're the only people in there, you stink.

When we get home from El Puerto, we immediately take our clothes off in the garage, bathe/shower & launder our clothes to rid them of the powerful smell.

I guarantee if they had a really good air exchange system, we'd get to go there a lot more often!

5  Thank foodiejoodie

Reviewed December 26, 2011

This is my personal favorite Mexican place in McCook. I like the people and they are very fast, great prices and a very clean resturant!

2  Thank landlockedNE
Reviewed July 8, 2011

I have eaten there many times. The service is great and the food is even better! The service staff is friendly and fast!! The food is traditional Mexican food not just text mex type food. It is my families favorite place to go!!

Reviewed October 21, 2010

We were on a 9 day road trip through the Midwest. Knowing that the day we were driving over 10 hours from New Mexico to North Platte, Nebraska, where there are few towns and even fewer restaurants, we investigated options ahead of time and found the reviews for El Puerto here on TripAdvisor. It sounded like our best bet for dinner that night, but I must admit we were skeptical that a Mexican restaurant in McCook, Nebraska would be palatable.

Our skepticism disappeared at the first bite. Fanstastic! Generous portions, well-prepared authentic Mexican cuisine, all at an unbelievably reasonable price. Having enjoyed plenty of Mexican food in Sonora and Quintana Roo, and in the Phoenix area, I can say that El Puerto's quality is on par with restaurants in more "Mexican" locales. If you're passing through McCook, stop in and enjoy!

2  Thank TheEasyGoingGuy
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Very, very good food!! You have to try the chicken Chimichanga! YUM!! Atmosphere is very good too, clean, and neat restaurant. Only downside....you leave with the "greasy" smell still on you.

2  Thank Runner247