“Dated, faded, needs renovation”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #52 of 61 Hotels in Lincoln
“Dated, faded, needs renovation”
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

I travel a lot for business and stay at a variety of hotels. Picked this one due to a low rate and familiarity wih the chain. This is one of the worst Choice Hotels I've stayed in. Embarrassment to the chain.

I should stress that the staff was in no way culpable for this review. This hotel is just a run-down, dirty affair.

The common areas were very date and featured worn and stained carpets, chipped paint, ancient elevators, and a host of other delights. Well, you don't stay in the dingy hall or the chippd filthy elevator, so how are the rooms?

I had hope upon seeing the room. The bedroom was clean and well-kept, if a bit aged and worn. The shock came when I visited the bathroom. Serious stains on the ceiling tiles, mildewed grout, half-washed toilet bowl, and some interesting hair on the tile wall awaited me there. It's time for Choice Hotels to refurb this site.

Spend the extra ten bucks for the other Choice Hotel on 27th street. You get what you pay for.

I didn't try the breakfast or the sports bar attached to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were in Lincoln for a funeral and had reserved another motel for 3 nights, but when my sister showed us this hotel, we immediately changed our location.

Margaret, the Grand Dame of the hotel, was more helpful than anybody I can remember in any other hotel. She, and her workmate Katie, shuffled and dug and shuffled some more and found 3 rooms for us very close to the rest of our family. And this was the weekend of Nebraska Cornhuskers opening game, there was a wedding reception, car racing people and a gathering of railroad people all staying over the weekend, so they really had to work hard. The staff was friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

Some of the other reviews have some merit (peeling wallpaper, noisy A/C unit, etc.), but our experience and the experience of our 8 rooms of family were mostly positive. They are slowly updating the hotel which could account for some of the negative reviews. The TV in our room was replaced with a brand new flat screen the morning we arrived, so I know they are working on it.

The breakfast was awesome! I think the breakfast area used to be a restaurant because it is laid out very nicely. The food is above the standard hotel fair, Waffles that you cook, pastries, yogurt, bacon, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. and they have a staff of people to attend to your needs. Very, very nice! As a matter of fact, this was the best part of our weekend.

The location is good, the rooms were quiet, the beds comfortable and we didn't experience any of the bad stuff that others are claiming.

The grievance rate was much more than fair, just when we needed it most. The breakfast, however, made the whole stay wonderful.

Thank you Margaret and the rest of the staff. You made it all work for us.

Room Tip: We were in room 226, on the north side. Poor view, but very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ipswich, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 27, 2012

A bit disappointing as it is old and needs serious renovation, but if you use the Coupon books you find at rest stops along I-80, you can get a pretty good deal here. I made my higher room-rate reservation with Choice Privileges, then presented the coupon and they honored it. Really great hot breakfast with waffles, eggs, sausage, gravy and biscuits, along with all the other cereal, yogurt, fruit and juice you'd expect... more than you can eat! So with the breakfast, the discount, and the very friendly and helpful staff, they somewhat made up for the otherwise poor ratings you find at this dumpy, frumpy property. There was an ant crawling on my bedsheet, which is why I rated "poor" for cleanliness and rooms, and "terrible" for room service. Oh yeah, and there is also an outdoor pool that was freezing, but refreshing on a very hot and muggy Lincoln summer day. I met some nice people here, so its true you can make a negative into a positive experience.

Room Tip: Use the coupon book from I-80 truck stops and rest areas to save here!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Florissant, Missouri
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Had an absolutely terrible experience at this hotel. Strong smell of marijuana in the hallways, and there were random mattresses stacked up in the hall. The fire exit landing on 1st floor had a whole bunch of broken chairs stacked in it, a clear violation of the fire code. Initially walked into our room and the entire shower rod and curtain was sitting in the bathtub (makes me wonder if they even bothered to clean the tub from the last guest?). Two of the lights in the room didn't work. The door to our room would not latch, so when we left the room unattended we had to bring our laptops to our car to lock them in our car, and only the actual deadbolt part would lock from within the room, so I guess we felt "mildly safe" at night. Asked for a different room and the desk clerk said the entire hotel was booked, so we were stuck in the room that had been assigned. But the worst part of all was that we specifically arranged an airport pick-up for one of the people staying in our room at midnight for when his flight arrived at the Lincoln Airport. He tried calling the hotel several times for about 20 minutes after landing and no one bothered to answer his call...it just rang and rang. So he started walking, luggage in tow, and had to walk a mile in the middle of the night on a dark street with no sidewalks to get from the airport to the hotel. I contacted the corporate offices at Choice Hotels to complain about this property, and they said this hotel wouldn't even answer my comments that the corporate office forwarded to them! Stay here at this hotel if you wish, but I wouldn't even let my dog stay at this hotel. Only positive experience about the stay was that I enjoyed their hot complimentary breakfast.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Furrow31
Naples, Florida
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Quality for two nights while visiting family in Lincoln. I've traveled a lot and worked for two large resorts. I can deal with inconveniences and "get" everything that goes into creating a flawless experience. I wasn't expecting a flawless experience at the Quality - you get what you pay for. In this case, we didn't even get close to what we paid for. This place is a DUMP. Sheets of wallpaper peel from the walls; carpets haven't been vacuumed, let alone cleaned; the elevator should be condemned. I have never stayed in such a disgusting, sketchy hotel.

When we arrived, I was surprised to see a girls' softball team tailgating in the parking lot - loud music, grills, kids running everywhere - all right next to hotel rooms. How odd for the hotel to permit such a thing! Things did not improve after check-in when we went to our room on the third floor. We get to the room and the door is wide open. The king bed had been stripped and all the dirty linens left on the floor. We trekked back down to the lobby, stood in line for at least 15 minutes, and then explained what we saw to the front desk agent, who said that they had been having "problems with housekeeping." Too bad, not my problem. I sort of expect to be checked into a clean room. She seemed annoyed that we left the room as is - as in we didn't lock the door after we saw it (remember, it was wide open when we got to it) and she fetched someone out of the bar to go close it. She found another room for us on the first floor that had two double beds. Not what I would have preferred, but fine, whatever.

We got to room number 2 and it took the two of us to bodyslam the door to get it to open. The room had sliding doors that opened up onto an unsightly, unkempt lawn. I thought we would get some noise from that, but, thankfully, did not hear any. The curtains were shredded and stained - the carpet, not much better. I've never heard a noisier A/C; when it shut itself off at the end of its cycle, it rattled loudly for a couple of minutes - I woke up at the end of each cycle. Unbelievably, though, the beds were pretty nice - quality sheets, good mattress, no awful polyester bedspread that traps in all the heat. Even the pillows were nice. The whole bedding set-up DOES NOT go along with the rest of the hotel.

The second night was sort of odd. We got back to the room after a day with family and were confronted with the smell of cigarette smoke in our room - our room just stank like someone had been smoking in it all day. Plus, some of my clothes found their way into my boyfriend's suitcase. When we went searching for the source of the smell, I looked up at the bathroom ceiling and noticed it sagging heavily - I had seen that once at my own apartment when my upstairs neighbor's pipes were leaking. And then the phone rang once - you know the ear-piercingly loud hotel phone rings - at 2am. That was jarring. The next morning at breakfast, a hotel guest we had never seen before passed by our table, said good morning (okay, that's normal) and then asked, "How did you sleep? Did you sleep well last night?" (that's sort of odd to ask a stranger, no?). Creepy. I couldn't finish my breakfast fast enough.

As for breakfast, it was okay. It was clear on the second morning that food from the previous day was recycled. The bar wasn't much better. While the beers were cheap and there was a decent selection, it was just gross to be in. There's a reason dive bars are dimly lit; this bar had brighter lights than our room.

There have GOT to be better hotels near the Lincoln airport. Don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bpdubs
Long Pine, NE
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I wish I would have looked into this hotel before staying here. Upon arriving very late, a large group of people were outside the front doors. Their tone was low, but frequent profanity was heard. The lobby looked ok and I felt better...but not for long. The elevator was old, with stained carped and a cone-shaped air freshener with did nothing to decrease the awful smell. Our room was the dirtiest I have ever stayed in. Stained carpet, mildew on the walls, wet carpet by the air conditioner, and hairs present in the room that were not our own. We found several mouse "droppings" in the room. We were told they were "sold out" that night, so we walked around the room in our shoes, took a good shower in the morning and left as soon as we could. I would NEVER recommend this room to anyone.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I travel for a living, I know hotels.

Used the coupon book at the interstate welcome center to find a quick and less expensive hotel for a quick overnight. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was reasonably clean.

The lobby and elevators reminded me of an industrial environment. I was approached in the parking lot by a "salesman" with his earbuds in place.

Didn't get a chance to stay for the breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family