“The armpit of Nebraska”

Ranked #52 of 61 Hotels in Lincoln
Minocqua
“The armpit of Nebraska”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

On a return trip from Colorado to Nebraska, we decided to find a room for the night. It was 830 PM and we had a three year old and a one and a half year old that needed to get a real nights sleep.

We exited at the first "group" of hotels that we came across. The sign out front of the Quality Inn said "Free Hot Breakfast." That got us. We pulled in and I inquired about a room. The friendly front desk girl informed me that they had one room left, and even gave me a discounted rate.

The hotel lobby was nice and presentable. I didn't think that this would be the beginning of my nightmare.

We unloaded the family and began the trek up to our room. We stayed in room 210. This meant we had to take the elevator. I may have said a few Hail Marys as the ancient, dilapidated elevator made its clunky, journey to the second floor.

The elevator approached the second floor and the door opened, while the elevator was still making it's final 1 foot journey.

The hallway wasn't all that bad, except for the dirty carpet, and portions of the ceiling falling down.

The room was normal sized with normal hotel room stuff. The carpet was "don't take your shoes off.... ever." dirty. It seemed to ooze filth with every footstep. The the shower was tile, complete with moldy grout. The caulking around the tub was more mold than caulk. It was unbelievably disgusting.

The shower handle was no longer attached to the valve, and came off when I turned it on.

The heat/ac unit was noisy, and had a good amount of mouse/rat feces in the air outlet vents.

At this point, I was ready to just leave. We decided that since we had the kids, and they were ready for bed, we would just sleep in the beds and leave the minute they woke up.

The mattresses were actually pretty clean. I checked for bugs, and didn't find any.

We got one night of horrible sleep and, like we agreed to, left the minute the kids woke up.

We decided that we didn't want to take the chance and eat the "hot breakfast" that lured into this hell-hole. We were afraid that the kitchen might be the same way as the rest of the hotel.

Bottom line: If you find yourself in Nebraska, in a blizzard, and your car is broken down, and you lost your shoes, and you haven't eaten in a week, and you have a free pass to stay at this Quality Inn, DON'T DO IT. You've been warned.

Oh yeah, the Adult Novelty store next door to the hotel should have been a warning... .Never saw it on the way in... but it stood like a erect rocket on the way out.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Gering
Reviewed September 12, 2011

What a dump! We were there for a wedding and had 3 rooms. Our room was musty, moldy and extremely dirty; the air conditioner leaked and there were crickets underneath. The curtains were shredded, covering a patio door that had only a chain - the lock was broken. They moved me to another room which still smelled. They are updating - the old cruddy carpet is laying around all over the place. Including the breakfast room and outside where it was strewn everywhere. The ONLY good thing about the place was the staff. The ladies at the Front Desk were very helpful and understanding. Too bad the place didn't live up to their standards. We were supposed to stay two nights, but I changed motels at midnight because I couldn't stand to be there another night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We needed a pet-friendly hotel for one night with 3 adults. Not only did they have a room available, the room was very nice, clean and accommodating! Quick service got us off the road and into a room within 15 minutes. The breakfast was great which included sausage patties and eggs, as well as the waffle choice and slew of bagel/muffins and cereal options.

Room Tip: Pet cost was $10 per pet per night.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 3, 2011

I'm not the kind of traveler who stays at the Hiltons and Marriotts of the world, so I gave the Quality Inn a shot. Stayed on June 17 on the first stop of a 3-day road trip from Cleveland to Las Vegas, so after 825 miles on the road, this was a needed stop for the night.

The elevator in the hotel is questionable - there are 2 and both look like they haven't been updated from the 80's. There is a smell in the elevator, and the hotel staff accommodated the smell with an open box of baking soda in the ceiling you could see.

Room was clean, mattresses were good. Interior corridor. You're by the airport, so there are a lot of other options in the area. Wireless internet is not secured so don't plan to check any online banking while there. McDonald's and Perkins are near the I-80 ramp, as well as a couple of gas stations, but not much else. In the morning, the breakfast was under cleaning/renovations as other reviewers have noted. I was extremely disappointed at this as it is still noted on the Choice Hotels website that the breakfast is available. There was no reduction in rate or accommodation for the lack of breakfast. Would look elsewhere in the area if I stayed in the area again. If they had the breakfast, I probably would have given it 3 stars.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank OhioTraveler85
Muskego, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We stayed at the Quality Inn on the way to a vacation in Colorado because it was a good stopping point from home in Wisconsin. WOW - what a disaster - the place is dirty, in need of updates and repair and has a total lack of amenities - the restaurant and kitchen were closed and undergoing a thorough "deep cleaning" - which I found highly unlikely - the pool wasn't open for the season - even though it was 80 plus degrees outside. The glasses and silverware on the breakfast buffet were spotted which only added insult to injury because the food was horrible! Wi-fi service was sporadic - we had to sit by the door of the room for it to work. The only thing new about this place was the mattress on the beds - that goodness for that - but I did check for bed bugs anyway.
After our night at this Quality Inn, we steered clear of this chain for the remainder of our trip. Guess the people who handle the franchise should check up on the properties that are using the name.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zoey53150
Blair, Nebraska
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I spent a week in this hell hole. nothing about what it lists is true. It had no hot breakfest due to deep cleaning as they put it no HBO they got rid of it but still advertise it and put the guide by the T.V. so you know what your missing. The pool is chaned up they said they are waiting for paint. The high speed internet dosent work. The cleaning stafe wont replace your shampoo. They say they have safes in the room but dont. My window looked like someone ejackulated all over it. The ladies room in the lobbey had Human Crap on the door. I filed a complant with CHOICE but still havent heard anything back. I took photos and will post later but if you dont have to stay there I wouldn't.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank spike1965
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed June 18, 2011

We stayed only a night in June passing through. The hotel offers a full hot breakfast. We received frozen Danishes, a few bagels and toast, and the smallest most unripe apples and oranges I had ever seen. The best option for breakfast were the lucky charms. But, there was nothing hot about it. When we arrived, I was told a different price for pet fees than what I was originally told on the phone (confirmed twice). I was glad I asked before I was almost charged double. The receptionist was reluctant, but gave me the price I was told complete with a dirty look and rolling of the eyes. There were large stains all over the floor we were on and in our room. Then there was quite a bit of hair on our bathroom floor, peeling wallpaper, and our curtain for privacy was partly unattached. I was so disturbed that I was unable to rest even for the night. I would not ever stay in this hotel again even if you paid me. The gross conditions combined with the outdated interior quality makes it a dump and unworthy of your financial support because it is obvious they are unwilling to care for their business responsibly.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family