“Nice stay at the Inn!”
Review of Graduate Lincoln

Graduate Lincoln
Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed August 17, 2008

The Holiday Inn in downtown Lincoln is a very nice hotel. True, it is starting to show it's age, but it is currently being renovated and should be much nicer when finished. The parking garage is vary narrow, but there was no attendant and I was not charged a parking fee which was nice. The room was very nice! Great view of the city and very spacious with a nice bathroom. The bedding is a bit outdated, but I have heard Holiday Inn is re-doing their brand including new bedding. The pool area was great; the pool itself was large, with a deep end, too bad there was no hot tub! The exercise room was very small, but nice enough and served its purpose. The restaurant served a nice buffet breakfast (free; might be a perk of being a Priority Club member), but they close at 1 p.m. on Sundays which was a bummer. Luckily the hotel is right next to the Haymarket, a hip, trendy area with a number of nice restaurants nearby. Despite the previous negative reviews,l I enjoyed my stay; the hotel was clean, relaxing, and spacious. I will stay here again and the rate I got was excellent, $46 for a Sunday night!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo

Reviewed March 2, 2008

I was a little concerned about staying her after previous reviews but I was glad I did. We arrived at 1pm and had no trouble checking-in early. The friendly clerk did not charge us the $6 parking fee as well. Our room had an outstanding view of the Lincoln area and the hotel is very convenient to lots of restaurants and bars. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean and had a very pleasant aroma of mint. The pool heat was not on and was a little disappointing as it was advertised as a heated pool. The pool is nice and big and the kids still loved it. The main problem with this hotel is the food. If you stay here I would advise you to eat somewhere else. It took us forever to get our food despite only one occupied table. The bread was so hard we could barely chew it and the well-done steak was very pink. I would stay here again, but would eat at one of the nearby restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I was reluctant to stay at this hotel due to the mixed reviews but had to due to businss meeting location. I was pleasantly surprised with my room. Although some of the decor was a bit dated - the room was clean and fresh and very comfortable. I had a great view of the city and the hotel was perfectly located close to business needs and restaraunts. I was pleased with the availability of the shuttle to take me just about anywhere I needed to go. However, I never received a wake-up call in the three days of my stay and the slow and unpredicable operation of the elevator in the garage was very concerning. The bartender (female) seemed a bit moody and not very attentive for food or drink orders but overall the hotel staff was very pleasant and willing to assist with all my needs and concerns. I will definately return.

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed September 30, 2007

I wanted to love the Holiday Inn. I really did. We travel to Lincoln 5-6 times a year but usually stay with relatives or at the Embassy Suites. Decided to use up some HI points this trip and stay near the stadium (we were in town for a football game). Back in the day, this hotel (which I remember best as the Hilton) was one of the busiest places in town on football weekends. Not anymore--in fact I heard the desk clerk tell someone on the phone Friday night that they still had plenty of rooms for the weekend.

Our room was very very small and not too clean. They still have the old fashioned polyester bedspreads and old, tired mattresses. The bathrooms are literally too small for more than one person at a time. The drink glasses actually looked dirty and used glasses weren't replaced on day two. One plus was the microwave and small refrigerator.

I really don't think I'll stay here again until they do a major renovation. It's worth the extra outlay of cash to have a nice clean room at the Embassy Suites or at the Cornhusker.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Tess23
Reviewed July 29, 2007

I have now been to this hotel two times. On both occasions it has been for just a night. basically I was told by my local liaison not to stay at the Cornhusker, the other downtown Lincoln hotel venue, because it is too expensive. This time staying at the Holiday Inn was more convenient because I did not need to rent a car: I flew directly into Lincoln's airport rather than flying into Omaha and driving the hour to Lincoln. My ultimate destination was the University of Nebraska, and this hotel is only about 3-4 clocks from the building where I had a meeting.

Restaurants abound within two blocks of this hotel.The hotel's rooms have recently been upgraded, and its internet service is free of charge. As a member of Holiday Inn's Priority Club (no charge, I believe) I got a free breakfast. The air conditioning was a bit noisier than that at some of the finer hotels, but it didn't stop me from sleeping. (I was most recently there on one of the hottest days of the year. My prior visit was the coldest of the winter of 2006-2007.)

For its sheer convenience to downtown Lincoln and the university, I would recommend this hotel. But it has been improving drastically and is quite concerned with its reputation.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank mikelahr
Reviewed November 5, 2006

This past weekend, I visited Lincoln for the first time and stayed at this hotel based on a friend's recommendation. This hotel was convenient in terms of its location; we were within walking distance of UNL campus, the stadium, lots of local local bars and restaurants, etc. However, we also had a problem with our reservation and some of the hotel's rooms were in poor condition. Overall, it was a negative experience.

My travel partner and I arrived at the hotel late Friday night (around 1 AM) after a long day of traveling. When we checked in, we were told that there were no more non-smoking rooms. I generally require a non-smoking room because I have both asthma and an allergy to cigarette smoke, and we had requested a non-smoking room when we made the reservation 2 months in advance for that particular reason. The clerk at the front desk apologized, explaining that there must have been some kind of miscommunication with the reservations department but pretty much said there wasn't anything she could do about it and gave us some complimentary breakfast coupons. We were really disappointed, but it was late and we were exhausted and didn't have any other options (we knew all the hotels were booked that night because of the football game on Saturday), so we went ahead and took the smoking room, hoping it wouldn't be too bad.

When we got up there, we discovered that it was terrible; it smelled like someone just sat in our room and smoked non-stop for the last 24 hours before we arrived, and I immediately started to have some trouble with my asthma.

Furthermore, the bathroom was absolutely disgusting. It was poorly maintained and dirty, with dirt caked on the toilet seat cover and in the grout between the tiles, unusual stains on the mirror and the bathroom counter, a rusty, dirty shower head, and a shower mat so dirty that it had a brown tinge. My friend went down to the front desk to complain about the bathroom and the penetrating cigarette stench. A member of the staff came up with some cleaning solution and wiped down the bathroom, which of course didn't help; you can't remove what looked like years of dirt buildup with one quick wipedown. We really weren't offered an immediate solution; we were told we could talk with a manager in the morning and "maybe" move to another room.

Frustrated, we just tried to go to sleep and deal with it in the morning, but my asthma symptoms were so bad that I was unable to fall asleep. My friend went down to the front desk again to complain, and finally the clerk gave us the keys to another room and said we could check it out and see if it was any better than the room we were in. It was a smoking room on the same floor, but the quality of the air was much better and the bathroom wasn't disgusting. We immediately moved to that room, and we were promised that we would not be charged for the first night of our stay and would be moved to a non-smoking room the following day. By the time we got to sleep, it was about 3:30 AM. Since we were only in town for a couple days, we naturally had plans for the morning, so we had to be up early and were pretty sleep-deprived and frazzled from our experience the night before. It kind of put a damper on our weekend.

Overall, we had an unpleasant experience. The last thing you want after a long day of traveling is to arrive at your destination and find that the accomodations are unacceptable. I believe that the hotel staff tried to compensate for the inconvenience that was caused, and I do appreciate that, but we also had to complain repeatedly before they really did anything helpful. I think they should have honored our request for the non-smoking room in the first place or at least tried to offer a better solution to the problem right away, instead of making us repeatedly visit the front desk to complain. Also, I was disgusted by the very dirty bathroom in the first room we occupied. I can't really understand finding conditions like that in the hotel that charges $199 a night; you can stay at a much cleaner, better-kept hotel for a lot less than that anywhere you go.

When we return to Lincoln, we will be trying out other hotels in the area to find better accomodations.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SBrit
Reviewed August 27, 2006

Had a mixed stay. Room was reasonably comforable, but was a little dated and tired. The pool had some murky, gross looking water so we didn't feel inspired to jump in. Parking was only $6, but seeing how dead the town was the night we spend there it seemed odd to have a fee for hotel guests to park at all. The staff was polite, but the folks we dealt with were incapable of providing any real assistance. Not bad for an overnight stay, but would never consider tihs place for a destination in and of itself.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank grram1
LNKDT, General Manger at Graduate Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2010

Hotel has been completely renovated.