“Great location, enjoyable stay”
Review of Graduate Lincoln

Graduate Lincoln
Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights in September when visiting our son who attends the local University. This is not the first time we have stayed here and as yet we have not been disappointed and we tend to do a fair bit of traveling in various hotels.
The staff are extremely friendly and we feel that any issues you may have during your stay would be addressed by them if you were to bring it to their attention.
The parking is tight and our only negative during our stay was that there was a wedding function on one evening and when we returned to the hotel we took the last space on the roof of the car park. When looking out of the window early hours there seemed to be lots of free parking spaces in the car park so we assume these had been used by persons NOT staying overnight but who had parked their car there during the function even though there had been a sign stating parking was for residents only! Maybe this needs to be monitored?
Our room was large in size and was clean. Tea and coffee in the room is provided and our housekeeper changed towels when we left them in the bath, no issues.
We will definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
tterwilliger, General Manager at Graduate Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. Guest comments are always appreciated. We try to limit our garage to overnight guests although on busy weekends this can be challenging. We will certainly monitor this closely. Thank you again for your kind comments about our staff. Our number one goal is guest satisfaction and each of our team members take a part in that process. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This hotel was very very solid. The location is great, next to the Haymarket district and downtown. A lot of restaurants and shops nearby. Attached parking garage for $7 per day- great! My room was very nice and clean, bed comfy, shower strong. No complaints at all. The staff were very friendly too.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I hated this Holiday Inn. It was old, moldy and musky. My room was about the same. One morning I detected a strong odor of cigarette smoke from the bathroom vent. I phone the front desk to ask if they have any smoking rooms. They said they don't. Then tried to suggest that it was a kitchen vent. Perhaps if their chefs were making Marlboro casserole that would hold true. If they're going to make guests sign a form stating there's a $200 smoking fee, then at the very least enforce it when a guest reports a violation.

Smoke smell aside, the room's air flow was even worse with the sickening wall mounted air conditioning unit. You know the kind found in a dirty motel that leaves you stuffy for days after your stay. They had a wall thermostat, but it doesn't work. Just a blank panel on the wall.

In the bathroom, the faucet and shower water would randomly stop. You'd be brushing your teeth and the water would flow down to a trickle, stop for 30-45 seconds then start again. Almost as if it were being fed by a toilet supply. Wondering if it's a faulty scald-guard, or a much more serious problem?

So the air and the water stink, how about the entertainment? Well, they have a widescreen TV but no HDTV channels. Huge pet peeve for any sports, news and entertainment junkie that likes a good clear picture and sound.

It felt like the bedding was dirty. Didn't help that you have to call the front desk to ask for linen and towel service as they say they won't change them for three days. So unless you want to live in filth, you're placing a daily call to the front desk. On day two of my stay housekeeping neglected to service my room. I worked late, until midnight, so I get back to the room and it's just as I left it. Even without the do not disturb sign. I had it, packed my bags, checked out. Called the front desk from my car and said I'm out. They did say they could still service the room, but it was a little late for me to wait them out. I do not plan on returning.

Being a Holiday Inn in Lincoln, Nebraska, I'd say it's about par for the course. This is the same town that had their Marriott de-franchised for chain compliance violations, guess I'm lucky this place still had a brand name attached to it.

Agree with the others, the parking garage is terrible. I was in a Ford Expedition and it was not pleasant. Thankfully the Ford had front and rear parking assists. Otherwise don't expect to roll in with a Grand Marquis.

Room Tip: Just save yourself the headache and go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
tterwilliger, General Manager at Graduate Lincoln, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. You bring up a number of items in your review and we want to guarantee you those are being looked at and addressed. Our priority is making our hotel a better place to stay. Thank you again for taking the time to make us aware of your concerns.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is a very reasonable hotel in downtown Lincoln. It's immediately adjacent to the Haymarket historic district and downtown restaurants, and only a few blocks from the southwest edge of the University of Nebraska campus. The rooms are reasonable in size and very clean. The bedding is of the upgraded comfortable style that is becoming more common at many hotel chains. The staff were friendly and helpful. If you are driving a larger vehicle (truck, large SUV, etc.) then BEWARE OF THE PARKING GARAGE. The ramps between levels are very narrow and require a tight turning radius. It's not such a problem when the garage is empty (weekend) but it is ridiculously tedious when the garage is busy and space is limited. I was allowed to park on the street next to the hotel shuttle with my pickup after initially parking in the garage, which I appreciated. But, there are only about three spaces there so it could become full easily. There are alternate better designed public pay parking garages within a block or two.

Room Tip: The parking garage does not accommodate larger vehicles - see above.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here on a cross-country move/driving trip for one night. The hotel is conveniently located walking distance from many eateries etc. of Historic Haymarket.

The room was clean, well stocked, and had a nice view as well.

I have not paid attention when making the booking and have not realized that the parking is offered in a garage next to the hotel (unlike ground-level typical HI parking area. I know, I know, my fault for not reading the downtown in the hotel's name). We had a roof rack and trailer carrier on our truck, so that could have been a big problem. An hour before arriving, I was browsing the reservation on the phone and noticed the parking garage. I called the hotel to inquire what our options are. The front desk lady was very nice and extremely helpful, she listened to my problem, and offered to allow us to park in front of the hotel (in the loading/unloading area). Upon arrival, not only were we able to park in front of the hotel, the overnight shuttle van manager also promised to keep an eye on our truck/belongings. We really appreciate this help and kind consideration. (thank you!). Plus, we were told that even though the garage has a parking fee, since we are not in the garage, we could park for free.

We did not stay for breakfast, but they had full-service restaurant (looked nice) instead of the typical included hot breakfast at HIs.

Overall, this hotel offers a pleasant and convenient stay. Ours was especially made comfortable by the staff given their help, but regardless, the place is well worth the price. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Call in advance if driving in with a SUV/truck with a roof rack :-)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank EatTravelLive
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed here during our visit to the University of Nebraska. It's very convenient but not really walking distance. The hotel staff is welcoming and helpful. The room was typical for Holiday Inn. Breakfast service in the restaurant was exceptional. The location is perfect for dining out, nightlife and shopping in the Haymarket district.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had a room on the second floor even with an outside patio next to it, near the pool. The rooms are big and very clean. The Haymarket is all around you so plenty of places to eat of all varities. We stayed for a Nebraska game and alot of red everywhere. Awesome place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are nice with the pool on the same floor.