“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #2 of 5 Lincoln B&B and Inns
Columbia, Missouri
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed at the Rogers House the end of March on our way to see the Sandhill cranes. I hadn't ever been to Lincoln before and knew that we were staying in fairly basic digs in Grand Island so thought we would explore Lincoln on our way. The Rogers House had good reviews that are well-deserved. The house itself and its history are really interesting. At one point it became a frat house so it is amazing how well-preserved it is. The decor blends with the age of the home and doesn't make you feel claustrophobic the way some over-decorated places do. The owner was very gracious and helpful (found us some bubble bath when all of the stores were closed on Sunday night). The Rogers House is in a quiet residential neighborhood and there was off-street parking behind it. We were very happy with our stay there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RainbarrelDiva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 12, 2012

The Rodgers House is a great place to stay in Lincoln. The staff was very accommodating and helpful. The rooms are clean and large. Breakfast was a two-course meal served by the owner, who really puts her heart into the place. I really enjoyed all of the period touches, too.

Room Tip: Dietary needs can be accommodated by letting the staff know (there is a breakfast card to fill out...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Omaha
Reviewed February 23, 2012

We have stayed at the Rogers House once a year for the last three years. We have tried a different room each stay and our favorite is the The Garrett Suite in the West House. We will definitely make the Rogers House our only place to stay when we visit Lincoln (as long as there is availability). We did almost miss out on the second trip but there was a cancellation that allowed us to be able to stay.

Regarding a bad review I read of this place earlier, I would like to comment on my very first impression. When we arrived the first time, I thought our room was mediocre. I didn't feel very well and I didn't want to stay. I thought our room would be more lush and wasn't very sold on what we actually got. We stayed two nights on the first trip and the more time we spent at the house, the more it grew on me. From the peaceful atmosphere to the pleasant staff, the Rogers House actually started feeling very homey. I ended up getting really sick and it was nice to be able to relax and Nora served our second breakfast in our room. After meeting Nora, we were definitely sold. Nora is such a sweet woman.

So, all and all, if you're looking for lush and matchy and perfection, maybe this homey place is not the place for you. If you're looking for a truly pleasant experience where you can unwind and really relax, though, this just may be the place for you.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RREBELOmaha
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 9, 2011

The staff of the Rogers House are warm and helpful. There are a number of rooms to choose from, and the innkeepers will show you the options or discuss them thoroughly by phone should you wish. I've stayed at the Rogers House often and have found the rooms to be completely clean and comfortable. Breakfast is normally served in the morning room by attentive and cheerful staff, or you may have it brought. One fills out a breakfast card after arrival. There is a special breakfast cooked daily, but one may opt for lighter fare and need only write on the card or tell an innkeeper if any dietary restrictions are desired. This is an excellent respite for any traveler.

Room Tip: There are two buildings and both are fine. I personally prefer the older mansion but an acquaintanc...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Grand Island, Nebraska
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Okay so my husband and I tried to find a Bed and Breakfast in the Lincoln, NE area for one night to celebrate our Anniversary. We are not new to B&B's. I pleaded with him after we dropped off our bags and headed for dinner to find anywhere else to stay. Unfortunately we would have to pay for the night whether we stayed or not. :( We did receive a discount for renting that day. Was 90 for the room and breakfast.

As we drove up the exterior was gorgeous, was very excited. The sign at the front door also seemed a promising sign inviting us to walk right in. As we entered on our immediate right was the RA on duty in the Office. The room had old decorations with tons of Encyclopedias and very dirty windows. Not sure if it's not possible to remove the interior screen and clean them.

Paperwork was completed and we were shown up the extremely squeaky stairs. About three sets. Thank goodness we did not room near them. The Limited decorations and furniture were antiques which is not usually a problem except they gave a feeling of my Grandparents home not a Bed and Breakfast. My husband claimed the set up of the doors reminded him more of an old, not new Frat house.

The Room: I will try to include the photos taken with my phone. But the room like the hallways and the rest of the home was very bare with mismatched antiques. The three lamps in our room appeared to have been possibly purchased at a yard sale, very cheap and nothing alike or similar other than being old and cheap. The bed was very hard and stiff. Though I did like the blanket chosen for decorating the bed. The window alley was also cozy and comfortable but not wide enough to sleep on being only two long benches. The Negatives: The ceiling had about three large cracks with obvious water stains which shocked me to find. The room was very bare and made me feel as if I was staying the night in a Pastor's home. A cross over the bed would have suited the room extremely well! Last of all the bathtub was a claw tub, but looked to be at least 50 years old with no shine left to the white interior. The drain didn't appear dirty but just really old. The idea of bathing or showering was not appealing, had no problem waiting to get home and clean up. The sink did appear much newer. But would rather have had a new tub to use than sink.

Breakfast: Loved it. Though of course the decorations in the sitting area and sun-room are extremely minimal! It looked bare in the photos online and felt even more so in person. My husband and I are both artists so the mismatched colors everywhere drove me crazy. Sun room had bold red and blue carpet. But then the linens on the tables were white with big yellow sunflowers or such for a border just on the two ends. I did say breakfast was awesome for me, and the bit of muffin I got to try was really good. I only got to try a bite since my husband who does not eat eggs, at all was served a quiche which was delicious for breakfast. So he ate his two muffins and my two muffins. I just don't get how a bed and breakfast doesn't check with the guests about what they can eat or don't like? My husband who doesn't like confrontation didn't say anything since we were just ready to leave. There was no reason to start drama, the price was cheap and if he was still hungry we could pick something up.

What also put me off was the fact that a RA was working the door. My experience with Bed and Breakfasts is that the family living there is greeting you into their home. We did not arrive late in the evening, around 4-5ish so surprised no one was home, and received no explanation to why the home owner was not there to greet us. To be honest I have no idea who is actually the home owner or running the place, I met at least 4 people working there. Everyone was very pleasant, and the young RA did bring us hot chocolate late at night since I was very thirsty. The home made cookies by the bed were also quite good. But will not visit again.

Sleep quality: Fell asleep pretty quickly despite the hard bed, both of us were exhausted from working the day. Though at about 2-3ish A.M. heard people moving furniture in the hallway, they bumped into our door with a loud bang. Then could hear other neighbors a hallway away moving around in their squeaky bed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ilythia
Idaho
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Even though we arrived late, we were met at the door by Tom, with a big smile and a warm welcome, along with fresh baked cookies, and a willingness to help with our luggage and make us feel at home. We spent the night in the "Doctor's Room". Which was very large with a office attached. Our room and the rest of the house was nicely furnished. We had a wonderful breakfast in the sun room. Nora and her staff are just wonderful, and I would highly recommend staying at this B & B. If we are ever in Lincoln again, I hope there will be room at this Inn for us.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank cabelas
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2009

This is a beautiful B & B near downtown Lincoln, located among lovely historic houses. Each room is unique. We were greeted by the owner, Nora, who greeted us like long lost friends. She insisted on helping to carry up our very heavy luggage, despite our protests (and she is not a very big person!) The room was spotless and had all needed amenities. Breakfast was brought, on our request, to our room and was lovely. It included a big bowl of fresh fruit. As well, any special requests or requiremements were attended to. One cannot get a friendlier, more welcome hostess than Nora and if we go to Lincoln again, we would stay only here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple